Schools Cup 2016

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Schools Cup 2016

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Wonder if Campbell wanted to be winning at half-time?
Motherload :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

A fine example of shît rugby. Glad I didn't waste my money on it, first game missed in about 40 odd years.

Watched some of it on telly Campbell should hang their heads in shame, a classic example how to lose a game.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:A fine example of shît rugby. Glad I didn't waste my money on it, first game missed in about 40 odd years.

Watched some of it on telly Campbell should hang their heads in shame, a classic example how to lose a game.
My main concern now is converting these supposed talents into professional rugby players

I doubt a single player from yesterday will make it
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

Conor Finn didn't really get the opportunity to show his pace yesterday but from what I saw in the semi final he has the pace and talent to make it the professional level.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Gary wrote:Gusher mentioned everybody who had ever played in a Schools' Cup Final.

He also mentioned somebody's grandfather, a "senior civil servant", who was responsible for the Ravenhill floodlights :roll:

The boys down at the Reform club must buy Gusher a G'n'T every time they get a namecheck.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Moiraman wrote:Conor Finn didn't really get the opportunity to show his pace yesterday but from what I saw in the semi final he has the pace and talent to make it the professional level.
Conor Field do you mean?
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Russ wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:A fine example of shît rugby. Glad I didn't waste my money on it, first game missed in about 40 odd years.

My main concern now is converting these supposed talents into professional rugby players

Based on one game it is impossible to say one way or another whether anyone will make it, especially in a tight final dominated by schoolboy nerves.

You talk sh*te at the best of times Russ, but you've surpassed yourself here.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
Russ wrote:

Based on one game it is impossible to say one way or another whether anyone will make it, especially in a tight final dominated by schoolboy nerves.

Compare to the standard in leinster in the short term and in 5 years time let's revisit this post and see me correct one again
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Russ wrote:
LegsLikeSausages wrote:
Russ wrote:

Compare to the standard in leinster in the short term and in 5 years time let's revisit this post and see me correct one again
You might be. Just saying your prediction is as reliable as mystic Meg's crystal ball based on one nervous game.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I haven't attended one of these in many years, I hate young people with a passion, anyone more than 20 years younger than me is potentially an even money bet to be a tosspot in need of a healthy dose of reality and some of the shyte life can hurl in your direction.

So with my perspective on it established, I do usually watch the final, don't worry if I miss it, but it is rarely anything but dire and Legs is on the money about why. It's totally unlike anything the nippers have experienced before and nerves appear to get the better of most.

Statistically you'd have to think someone there would at least make a shape at a pro career, but don't ask me to say who because it was very poor fare.

Campbell had no idea and no composure, had they anyone with an ounce of leadership it was there for the taking, the Master Race at least showed a modicum of composure and defended well all through the second half but in fairness that too was hugely aided by Campbell's unparalleled level of incompetence.

So concludes my contribution to children's threads for another year. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Out of 46 players present if 6 are still playing rugby in 5 years time it would be a winning final and maybe two will Make beyond club level

The dominate feature of the game was the slow recycle by the Poshboys and the quality of the defence by "the Master Race "

Hume looks a big lad for a centre and time is on his side as for the rest a schools final is not sound base .

The reason is that school XV s contain boys between 16 and 18 years old the higher the average age then the greater the chance of success and some players look better because they are older.

The transfer to Pro is about physical development attitude and opportunity by that I mean to make say Ulster a player must not be just as good as the current player in his position but better because the current holder has what he lacks and that's experience and experience is not just confined to the game but to the desires of the coach and how his team mates play .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Out of 46 players present if 6 are still playing rugby in 5 years time it would be a winning final and maybe two will Make beyond club level

The dominate feature of the game was the slow recycle by the Poshboys and the quality of the defence by "the Master Race "

Hume looks a big lad for a centre and time is on his side as for the rest a schools final is not sound base .

The reason is that school XV s contain boys between 16 and 18 years old the higher the average age then the greater the chance of success and some players look better because they are older.

The transfer to Pro is about physical development attitude and opportunity by that I mean to make say Ulster a player must not be just as good as the current player in his position but better because the current holder has what he lacks and that's experience and experience is not just confined to the game but to the desires of the coach and how his team mates play .

I would think any school that has won back to backs and 4 from 4 this year would be providing the bulk of the academy
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Russ wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Out of 46 players present if 6 are still playing rugby in 5 years time it would be a winning final and maybe two will Make beyond club level

I would think any school that has won back to backs and 4 from 4 this year would be providing the bulk of the academy
I know you're being provocative Russ, but the margin between the best 4 or 5 schools in the competition is very small so that would be a ridiculous assumption. Also, a lot of boys feel that the Schools' Cup is the pinnacle of their rugby "career" before choosing another career in medicine, law, accountancy etc etc.

It's up to UR to make trying out for professional rugby attractive compared to the security of a good degree and good long term career prospects. It's really very difficult indeed to do what Jamie Roberts has done and Cardiff medical school cut him a lot of slack.
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

>seeya >appl £480 Paddy Power ching ching
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Russ
The total number in the academy is ?
The number of years players are in the Academy is ?

The intake of Academy per year is ?

If Inst and Campbell combined provide more than two or three I will be most surprised .

A school XV performance is the sum of all the players which is greater than an individual player .

At school players look good because they are more mature than others that advantage is temporary and lost as soon as they leave school.

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist