Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Schools Cup 2016

Post by BuckRogers »

PED's...?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Schools Cup 2016

Post by kingofthehill »

Beattiespastie wrote:Don't really know Kingofthehill to be honest as I just got my info second hand whilst at Pirrie picking up my daughter from hockey :cheers: I do believe Monday was the first time the squad had a full run out. I would assume a number of players turning out in the defeats to Sullivan and BRA would also comprise the 1st XV set up as they have done every other year? It's s squad game and come schools cup selection MCB normally get it spot on :D with Nicky Wells at the helm you never rule MCB out, the schools cup is not decided on pre Xmas friendlies :cheers:
Just seems strange if it's their best available team (7 missing) then it shouldn't be down on the MCB website as 2nd XV.

I'm sure other schools have players missing.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Does the schools cup not start in January?
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Kingofthehill, I honestly couldn't care less mate what ANY school wants to call their early season squads be it the 2nd XV/ 1st XV or 'select squad' :D come January the Schools cup starts in earnest and then we see the definitive 1st XV squads. I suspect MCB will be in good shape :cheers:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Yes Snipe I believe you are correct my friend.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Ballymena 23 v 22 Methody. Decent game with nothing between the teams apart from a penalty at the death which won the game. In my humble opinion both squads will be there/thereabouts. Methodys penalty count killed them but the positives came in their set piece and scrum. Ballymena well disciplined with an excellent scrum half. Ballymena deserved to edge it but both teams impressed in parts. Early days.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Beattiespastie wrote:Ballymena 23 v 22 Methody. Decent game with nothing between the teams apart from a penalty at the death which won the game. In my humble opinion both squads will be there/thereabouts. Methodys penalty count killed them but the positives came in their set piece and scrum. Ballymena well disciplined with an excellent scrum half. Ballymena deserved to edge it but both teams impressed in parts. Early days.
1sts or 2nds?
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

:D didn't see that line coming...
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

Last edited by ChuckleBrothers on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

its funny watching the spin put on early squad selections especially when as a parent of a son going through the mix you know most of it is cobblers. I was lucky enough to follow my son from his first year training/ selection camp through to schools cup winning squads and the buzz is brilliant but you learn to appreciate and respect all the other schools as you know what sacrifice it takes. Whoever shines through come March 17th you know they have earned it.
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Last edited by ChuckleBrothers on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

It is chuckle it is :D my nephew won a schools cup with RBAI so my family is split down the middle come schools cup time but whoever got to the final we went along to support them regardless and felt proud when they won their games. Rugby is a great game at every level and the friendships and sense of community is like no other. RBAI have restructured well but have always been an excellent set up. Must admit to cheering on the old master race in this years final but after seeing my doctor I have fully recovered :D
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

It'll be interesting to see if the new coaching setup at BRA can make an early impact on the firsts this year as part of their 5 year plan to become Cup Winners.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

5 year plan to win the schools cup is a big task but I applaud the ambition. Many factors are needed to build a cup winning squad and not all of those factors come from coaching. For instance a boarding school like Campbell ( and MCB of old ) can offer scholarships to players they identify as good prospects and the addition of such players can give a team an advantage ( Campbell have a prop who has come in this year to boarding who i believe is from outside NI? ) luck with injuries is another huge factor and who you draw in your first game is also vital. Is it Brian McGlaughlin heading up the BRA rugby set up? If so I have no doubt he will do a great job.
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Last edited by ChuckleBrothers on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.