Ticking Time Bomb?

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ticking Time Bomb?

Post by pwrmoore »

Once a Knight wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:My son was 5'11 and 15 stone at 1st XV level but could out lift most in the gym but he was naturally strong with great technique and he put it down to brown Pringles. Some lads are just big/ strong by design but supplements are an unhealthy proliferation and I watched a recent BBC Wales programme on steroids in rugby at all levels and it was eye opening and worrying. Should we be random drug testing ?
There is a suspicion that steroids are at play in Wales. There's no reason to think that there's "no" use here. It would be complacent to think so.

The only "training" I've had about what to watch out for in young players mildly amused me.

*Body change
*mood swings
*aggression
*Acne Vulgaris particularly on the back

I was amused because that's most teenage boys I know. So unless they are all on steroids.......

You ask about drug testing, I'd have no difficulty simply for the deterred it may provide.
I always wondered was it possible that steroids were involved in the infamous Patrick Bamford affair. Certainly one of the parties seems pumped up with aggression beyond what seemed reasonable.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:My son was 5'11 and 15 stone at 1st XV level but could out lift most in the gym but he was naturally strong with great technique and he put it down to brown Pringles. Some lads are just big/ strong by design but supplements are an unhealthy proliferation and I watched a recent BBC Wales programme on steroids in rugby at all levels and it was eye opening and worrying. Should we be random drug testing ?
There is a suspicion that steroids are at play in Wales. There's no reason to think that there's "no" use here. It would be complacent to think so.

The only "training" I've had about what to watch out for in young players mildly amused me.

*Body change
*mood swings
*aggression
*Acne Vulgaris particularly on the back

I was amused because that's most teenage boys I know. So unless they are all on steroids.......

You ask about drug testing, I'd have no difficulty simply for the deterred it may provide.
I always wondered was it possible that steroids were involved in the infamous Patrick Bamford affair. Certainly one of the parties seems pumped up with aggression beyond what seemed reasonable.
It was suspected of 2 of them at the time
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

I'm 6 foot 3, 21 stone and very, very fat.

Just sharing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Just don't lean against me Hairy.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Just don't lean against me Hairy.
Whereabouts in mid ulster do you reside? If you're anywhere near the Glenshane pass you can probably feel my gravitational field.

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote::lol: ImageImage

Snipe is not the juicing King! ImageImage

Just wasn't clear enough for my puritanical streak. :thumleft:

In the words of South Parks Mr. M'kay - "Drugs are bad, don't do drugs, m'kay"
You're just an awkward pain in the chuff. Image Image

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Once a Knight wrote:
HairyJ wrote:I'm 6 foot 3, 21 stone and very, very fat.

Just sharing.

Yes, but that's fine as long as your donuts don't contain steroids. :lol:
Yer donuts shrink with too many steroids
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Great article Tighty... Thank you. It echoes my concerns for schools rugby in Ulster.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighty wrote:thought this might be of interest

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zea ... ort-groups
It is certainly interesting, and more realistic and informed advice from knowledgeable people rather than the touch rugby faction of 70, who appear to comprise a concerned mother, 68 non-medical trick-cyclists from those institutes who hand out doctorates for David Beckham Studies & one particularly enthusiastic pederast whose prime concern with the under 18s appears to be accessing their arseholes.

I hope for once that an article from thon big clampit Neil Francis is widely read for if the common view that "70 eminent people can't be wrong" holds sway god knows what some DUP oaf might do to our schools rugby.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Postby Once a Knight » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Shrunken genitals, acne Vulgaris, heart conditions, cancer - not a lot to be recommended in taking steroids.

Just want to add, a fairly knowledgeable chap on these matters and I once had a chat. Basically, accelerating the subdivision and replication of cells and the repair of same isn't actually a great idea kids. Cell abnormalities getting fast tracked has certain carcinogenic consequences.
Not sure how knowledgeable this fella you know is and I'm not really in much of a position to argue however latest research would indicate that this is not true and that any evidence was merely anecdotal, there have never actually been any long term studies done to either prove or disprove the Steroids cause cancer, as there is no 100% full blown known cause for cancer.

Both corticosteroids and anabolics are used in the treatment of cancer and other such diseases for tumor suppression and muscle and immune system wastage.

But aside from that, there is one very very stupid UR player who has a stupid social media post which could potentially indicate use of banned substances. Not going to name for obvious reasons.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Back to the 1st post on this thread....why are Ulster struggling then to get lads big enough for the backrow, I'm more convinced it's to do with coaching rather than a dirth of talent.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:Back to the 1st post on this thread....why are Ulster struggling then to get lads big enough for the backrow, I'm more convinced it's to do with coaching rather than a dirth of talent.
Did we not have one who made an impressive debut against the Dragons and hasn't been seen since?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Treviso, if memory serves me right but Lorcan seems to have been treated rather shabbily since,
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:Treviso, if memory serves me right but Lorcan seems to have been treated rather shabbily since,
Was one of the tom kite sides indeed

I think we can create good pack players. I however feel there are bigger problems with our school and youth systems that need addressed

Players in Leinster leave school wanting to play rugby
Players in munterville at their clubs want to play for munter

Players at our schools cannot wait to give up and go abroad to study