ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Tighty
Initiate

Re: |Schools cup 2017

Post by Tighty »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Tighty wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:For want of a better place to put it, it appears Regent House are entering the schools rugby arms race with a coaching appointment of some note.

Budgerigar Pountney is to do a stint with Regent and also Ards RFC I hear, from a man who knows a man who definitely knows.

Cheap cheap he is not I believe.
Greetings Baggy

Now you've gone and spoilt Ards RFC's Big Announcement : http://www.ardsrugby.co.uk/news/big-ann ... 97768.html

... tho' I seem to recollect reading ''your exclusive'' before.

PS For your information, there is a Section on the Board devoted to Club Rugby and contained therein is a thread entitled ''Qualifying Leagues''. As I'm sure you'd agree, its never too late to learn :stir:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crap, I thought it had been announced by now, before lunch I was told. :oops:

Tighty I'm sure it's not been lost on you that I am only a glory-hunting, pro-team supporter, I get a few people saying, "I'll take you to watch the Binmen" or "You'll have a great day with the Armachians" but of course little or nothing comes of it. Last time I was involved in even a loose way was in the Harbour Bar at Downings after a game Sheephaven Bay against some Omagh team I think. Great bowl of Stew and pints of glorious Arthur's Genius.

These days if I am feeling really interested I'll see the odd A team game - very odd since I have been boycotting any A match not held at Spanners for some years.

Anyway, I last had any club connection many decades ago at Ards in their halcyon days when they first got into the senior league, Edgar, some Calverts, Cleland, Wee Mowatt, a Campbell or two and I recall still tales of Bobby Bishop & the bike at the Dee. So I wish them well with the new venture, hopefully, he can breathe some life into both school & club.

Mind you the ould glory-hunting hasn't been going too well. I believe some ex-pats have set up a rugby club in San Javier, maybe they will rise to greatness, I might even lend my peculiar brand of expertise. >EW
I don't think you are the first to spill the beans as I'm nearly sure I read news of Pountney's move to Ards RFC somewhere else. is his ''Mrs'' from 'the Peninsula' or is after a cheap deal on his car insurance?

Your mention of names of Ards' players from the glory years reminds me of my first sortie into club rugby as a callow , if substantial, 17 year old. In those days there was no age restriction on playing in adult rugby and after school fixtures finished it was not unusual for schoolboys to play in club games. At the end of my lower sixth year I played a few games for ''my club'' in the old Junior League One ( now Qualifying league 1) This was Ards' last year in Junior 1 before achieving Senior Status and I'm eternally grateful that our club had already completed the league fixture against Ards earlier in the season . The thought of me as a 17 year old coming up against Barry Calvert et al still reduces me to a shivering wreck even after all these years !!! :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Rooster wrote:Budgie mentioned in middle of this
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 14223.html
thanks Rooster for finding that report ... I was about to see GP about upping the 'anti senior moment' medication.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighty wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Tighty wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:For want of a better place to put it, it appears Regent House are entering the schools rugby arms race with a coaching appointment of some note.

Budgerigar Pountney is to do a stint with Regent and also Ards RFC I hear, from a man who knows a man who definitely knows.

Cheap cheap he is not I believe.
Greetings Baggy

Now you've gone and spoilt Ards RFC's Big Announcement : http://www.ardsrugby.co.uk/news/big-ann ... 97768.html

... tho' I seem to recollect reading ''your exclusive'' before.

PS For your information, there is a Section on the Board devoted to Club Rugby and contained therein is a thread entitled ''Qualifying Leagues''. As I'm sure you'd agree, its never too late to learn :stir:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crap, I thought it had been announced by now, before lunch I was told. :oops:

Tighty I'm sure it's not been lost on you that I am only a glory-hunting, pro-team supporter, I get a few people saying, "I'll take you to watch the Binmen" or "You'll have a great day with the Armachians" but of course little or nothing comes of it. Last time I was involved in even a loose way was in the Harbour Bar at Downings after a game Sheephaven Bay against some Omagh team I think. Great bowl of Stew and pints of glorious Arthur's Genius.

These days if I am feeling really interested I'll see the odd A team game - very odd since I have been boycotting any A match not held at Spanners for some years.

Anyway, I last had any club connection many decades ago at Ards in their halcyon days when they first got into the senior league, Edgar, some Calverts, Cleland, Wee Mowatt, a Campbell or two and I recall still tales of Bobby Bishop & the bike at the Dee. So I wish them well with the new venture, hopefully, he can breathe some life into both school & club.

Mind you the ould glory-hunting hasn't been going too well. I believe some ex-pats have set up a rugby club in San Javier, maybe they will rise to greatness, I might even lend my peculiar brand of expertise. >EW
I don't think you are the first to spill the beans as I'm nearly sure I read news of Pountney's move to Ards RFC somewhere else. is his ''Mrs'' from 'the Peninsula' or is after a cheap deal on his car insurance?

Your mention of names of Ards' players from the glory years reminds me of my first sortie into club rugby as a callow , if substantial, 17 year old. In those days there was no age restriction on playing in adult rugby and after school fixtures finished it was not unusual for schoolboys to play in club games. At the end of my lower sixth year I played a few games for ''my club'' in the old Junior League One ( now Qualifying league 1) This was Ards' last year in Junior 1 before achieving Senior Status and I'm eternally grateful that our club had already completed the league fixture against Ards earlier in the season . The thought of me as a 17 year old coming up against Barry Calvert et al still reduces me to a shivering wreck even after all these years !!! :lol:
Not surprised Tighty, they claimed at the time that Ards had a bigger pack than the Ireland team and there were a few beasts in there who played rugby "the old fashioned way". Almost as frightening a sight was Barry's brother Dennis playing the tin whistle and drinking pints until he tumbled from his bar stool.

A younger guy around that time gave us one of the greatest laughs ever from a radio phone in. Terry Finlay was known as "the joker", he called in to some show, I assume Downtown, and before answering the question the DJ was going through the usual chit chat, "yes very good Terry, tell us what do you do for a living?" "I'm a wringer out for a one-armed window cleaner" Joker replied and the poor ould DJ was floored. :lol:

Anyway, all our yesterdays ................. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Don't underestimate the ability of a few committed individuals, with help from a local club, to change the Rugby fortunes of a school.

From a scratch beginning 15 years ago St Fintans High (State) Boys School in Sutton has evolved into a serious rugby school in the Leinster circuit.
Key to it's development was a visionary BoGs who hired a external coach (Robert Forbes) and they have forged a close working relationship with the local Suttonians Club, across the wall.

I watched St Fintans outplay Clongowes in the first round of this years Senior cup, losing out with a penalty that fell short of the crossbar at the end of the match. They had a good mix of talent throughout the side including arguably the best front row in the comp (Aziz Naser & Jack Aungier props of note).