Medallion Shield

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Koonak
Novice

Re: Medallion Shield

Post by Koonak »

This years shield campaign underway! Almost as much hype surrounding this as schools cup campaign these days. Ulster coaches spotted at both Sullivan and Foxes Field this week. Any players standing out at this young age?
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

Koonak wrote:This years shield campaign underway! Almost as much hype surrounding this as schools cup campaign these days. Ulster coaches spotted at both Sullivan and Foxes Field this week. Any players standing out at this young age?
Its actually Fox's, but I suppose as it's Campbell anything goes in the grammar department
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

Tenyarder wrote:
Koonak wrote:This years shield campaign underway! Almost as much hype surrounding this as schools cup campaign these days. Ulster coaches spotted at both Sullivan and Foxes Field this week. Any players standing out at this young age?
Its actually Fox's, but I suppose as it's Campbell anything goes in the grammar department
Dear me someone's rather rude!
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

Tenyarder wrote:
I've seen all the contenders for the shield bar Wallace and for me the 2 best teams are CCB and Coleraine inst'. Took in the CCB v MCB earlier in the week and was very impressed by Campbell's 8,6 and 13. As forvthe others players i have seen that have impressed me: Coleraine inst have a very good 10, and ballymena academy have an excellent 7.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I wouldn't read anything into Ulster coaches at Medallion games .....Wallace have an outstanding medallion side and would be my favourites for the Shield.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I wouldn't read anything into Ulster coaches at Medallion games .....Wallace have an outstanding medallion side and would be my favourites for the Shield.
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

Would tend to disagree with you Beattiespace. I'm taking it from your posts that you are mcb staff or parent of med player? Certainly this past year there has been a big step up at involvement in this u16 level which mcb don't partake in at this stage. Coaches out in schools working with u16s and they have at least two schools training sessions for this younger age. Certainly I've seen Brian McLaughlin and colleagues at both early rounds in the Medallion at both Sullivan and at Wallace - and some if that group have also been videoing matches. Don't ever remember that in the past. Some of these boys already called for summer training camps. Assuming this is all part of bmcl new role in UR. I do agree though that Wallace are the team to beat - only been beaten once this season I think by Coleraine. Exciting times for these young cubs! Wish it was my time again
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

will+i+am wrote:Would tend to disagree with you Beattiespace. I'm taking it from your posts that you are mcb staff or parent of med player? Certainly this past year there has been a big step up at involvement in this u16 level which mcb don't partake in at this stage. Coaches out in schools working with u16s and they have at least two schools training sessions for this younger age. Certainly I've seen Brian McLaughlin and colleagues at both early rounds in the Medallion at both Sullivan and at Wallace - and some if that group have also been videoing matches. Don't ever remember that in the past. Some of these boys already called for summer training camps. Assuming this is all part of bmcl new role in UR. I do agree though that Wallace are the team to beat - only been beaten once this season I think by Coleraine. Exciting times for these young cubs! Wish it was my time again
Probably part of this http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/news/11187.php those are sessions for club players then add in the schools ones later for summer camp ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

No rooster there are definately school groups training at the minute up with u17 at uuj
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

will+i+am wrote:No rooster there are definately school groups training at the minute up with u17 at uuj
Those are the older group
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

Definately current med players training up in that group at present. I know of at least three from my sons school
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

No I am not an MCB staff member and no I don't have a son in the medallion squad . I would again reiterate that I wouldn'read anything too deep into Ulster coaching staff at Medallion matches. I have seen ulster coaching staff at many age group matches down the past few years at Pirrie Park and other grounds around the province. Rugby is a close knit community game with many family ties that brings ex players, coaches and current players to the games which is great and long may it continue.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I wouldn't be involving Medallion year groups in training camps as I think its too early in their development and potentially detremental in the long term. Kids get enough rugby at U16 and they will have plenty more in their senior set up and that's the time to get the shot at provincial training camps and potentially Ulster and Irish schools. Yes MCB don't get involved in the U16 set up but you only have to look at the current Ulster squad to see that the school is doing alright.
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

Not for once criticising MCB for not getting involved at U16 - their representation through the senior squad at the minute is credible. But definately from having two kids through the system there is definate more UR involvement now in schools with BMCL and his team - out coaching med level etc than there was 2 seasons ago. Nothing wrong with it in my book its not done on top of school sessions, its instead of. Kids enjoying getting a little taster - its not all about winning shields and cup for most schools that cant get the depth of squad due to smaller numbers etc. Something to be said for it. Unfortunately not all kids at all schools get enough of it, or certainly as much as they would like in comparision to the bigger city schools. So far play UR - its great to see the new role working in practice for BMcL, and certainly systems in place that werent there two years ago.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Brian McC is a good man and good for youth development but I think Medallion is a bit early but its only my opininion. My nephew won the schools cup under McC at RBAI and went on to Ulster and Irish schools and played a junior world cup thanks to the man. I would rather see kids go from senior school rugby to a club for two years and then bring them into an academy system. I can see your point of view and it would probably suit some lads who are physically ahead of their time. I have family loyalties at both MCB and RBAI so its always an intersting time of the year!