Ireland U18 v Wales U18 (Schools)

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Ireland U18 v Wales U18 (Schools)

Post by cables »

IRELAND UNDER-18 SCHOOLS TEAM & REPLACEMENTS (v Wales, 2008 Under-18 Six Nations Festival, Musgrave Park, Wednesday, March 26, kick-off 7.30pm):

15 - Noel Reid (St. Michael's College)
14 - Craig O'Hanlon (St. Munchin's College)
13 - Michael Allen (Methodist College Belfast)
12 - Diarmuid McCarthy (Castletroy Community College)
11 - Mark Atkinson (Grosvenor Grammar School)
10 - Luke Marshall (Ballymena Academy)
9 - David O'Driscoll (Presentation Brothers College Cork)
1 - Denis Buckley (Blackrock College)
2 - Niall Annett (Methodist College Belfast)
3 - Jack O'Connell (Clongowes Wood College)
4 - Brian Hayes (Christian Brothers College Cork)
5 - Ben Marshall (St. Andrew's College)
6 - Dominic Ryan (Gonzaga College)
7 - Brian O'Hara (Presentation Brothers College Cork) (capt)
8 - David O'Callaghan (Midleton College)

Replacements:
16 - Risteard Byrne (Terenure College)
17 - Brian Cagney (Presentation Brothers College Cork)
18 - Martin Moore (Castleknock College)
19 - Patrick Butler (Rockwell College)
20 - Michael Kelleher (St. Munchin's College)
21 - Richard Bent (St. Mary's College)
22 - David McSharry (Templeogue College)
23 - Paul Pritchard (Ballymena Academy)
24 - Gavin Nugent (Presentation Brothers College Cork)
25 - Jason Bloomfield (Coleraine Academical Institution)
26 - James McKinney (Campbell College)
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland U18 v Wales U18 (Schools)

Post by cables »

Result

Ireland 6 - 25 Wales

Other results

England 78 - 8 Italy
Scotland 10 - France 8
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

:( the pundits were predicting that type of result due to team first getting together last Friday, schools competitions up till Paddy's day was the main problem.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Welsh wield the greater clout

UNDER-18 SIX NATIONS FESTIVAL/Ireland 6 Wales 25: WALES DWARFED and dominated Ireland in all facets of the game in the under-18 tournament at Musgrave Park last night.

The Welsh scrum had Ireland in trouble from the start and outhalf Matthew Jarvis made it 3-0 from a penalty earned on the back of a shunt from his forwards before scrumhalf Rhys Downes grabbed a try, converted by Jarvis.

Fullback Noel Reid got Ireland's first score, a 19th-minute penalty.

The Wales tight-head prop Stewart Maguire is five kilos heavier than John Hayes and when the Irish loosehead Denis Buckley was pinged at a scrum Jarvis nailed the penalty before posting his third three-pointer near the half-hour.

Reid scored his second penalty for 16-6 when the Welsh dived in at a ruck but Jarvis soon kicked his fourth penalty in reply.

Brian O'Hara was binned before Jarvis exacerbated the punishment with two further penalties.

IRELAND: Reid (St Michael's); C O'Hanlon (St Munchin's), M Allen (Methodist), D McCarthy (Castletroy), M Atkinson (Grosvenor Grammar); L Marshall (Ballymena), D O'Driscoll (PBC); D Buckley (Blackrock), N Annett (Methodist), J O'Connell (Clongowes), B Hayes (CBC Cork), B Marshall (St Andrew's), D Ryan (Gonzaga), B O'Hara (PBC, capt), D O'Callaghan (Midleton). Replacements: R Byrne (Terenure) for Annett, M Moore (Castleknock) for Buckley (both 47 mins); J Bloomfield (Coleraine AI) for O'Driscoll (58); B Cagney (PBC) for O'Connell, P Butler (Rockwell) for Marshall (both 60); M Kelleher (St Munchin's) for O'Hanlon (68); R Bent (St Mary's) for Ryan, J McKinney (Campbell) for Marshall (both 69); G Nugent (PBC) for Reid (70).

WALES: J Loxton; A Hughes, B John, A Beck, I Coombes; M Jarvis, R Downes; D Watchurst, R Williams (capt), S Maguire, T Crandon, J Galley, D Francis, R Jenkins, J Thomas. Replacements: J King for Galley (23); L Peers for Crandon (58); C Lewis-Pratt for Jarvis, L Powell for Coombes, M Allen for Francis (all 65); G Jenkins for Watchurst, J Davies for R Jenkins (both 68); C Davies for Williams (69).

Referee: R Kitt (England).

© 2008 The Irish Times
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ireland overpowered

UNDER-18 SIX NATIONS/Ireland 11 Scotland 25: THIS CANNOT continue. Ireland's traditional schools avenue into international age-grade rugby is a nod to the past, a system that worked like a dream in the amateur days.

The gulf in physical development between, on the one hand, the Irish and, on the other hand, the Welsh and Scottish teams they have met in this tournament has been alarming. Coach Peter Melia's boys have worked themselves to the bone to compete with boys playing out of men's bodies.

It is an uneven playing field that needs levelling - and soon. Otherwise, Ireland's next generation will be playing catch-up. A revolution in physical development is urgently required.

Too often here, two Irish lads could not deal with one Scottish ball-carrier, and the contact was made on opposition terms, as it was when Wales dominated Ireland on Wednesday evening.

For the record, Scotland's Alex Blair collected 20 points in half an hour during a masterful display of timing, support play and blurring footwork that yielded two tries and four solid shots at goal to end the contest almost before it began.

Ireland could not win enough ball to apply concerted pressure. Number eight David O'Callaghan looked the part in a back row where captain Brian O'Hara took too much on his shoulders by carrying the ball when O'Callaghan was better-built for that job.

Noel Reid struck two penalties and played with an intelligence on the ball others did not quite read. Gavin Nugent's late try was reward for Irish effort against huge odds.

IRELAND: N Reid (St Michael's); D McCarthy (Castletroy), M Kelleher (St Munchin's), D McSharry (Templeogue), M Allen (Methodist); L Marshall (Ballymena Academy), D O'Driscoll (PBC, Cork); B Cagney (PBC, Cork), N Annett (Methodist), J O'Connell (Clongowes); P Butler (Rockwell), B Marshall (St Andrew's); D Ryan (Gonzaga) B O'Hara (PBC, Cork capt), D O'Callaghan (Midleton). Replacements: M Atkinson (Grosvenor) for McSharry (15 mins); J Bloomfield (Coleraine) for O'Driscoll (45 mins); B Hayes (CBC Cork) for Marshall, C O'Hanlon (St Munchin's) for Kelleher (both 58 mins); J McKinney (Campbell) for Marshall, G Nugent (PBC Cork) for Reid (both 68 mins); P Pritchard (Ballymena) for Ryan, M Moore (Castleknock) for Cagney (both 70 mins); R Bent (St Mary's) for Butler (73 mins).

SCOTLAND: T Brown; R Drummond, A Blair, A Dunbar, S McKenzie; R Aitken, A Black; L Pettie, A Walker, N Little; C Connor, R Harley; M Maltman, M Fedo, S McInally (capt). Replacements: M Tait for Blair (32 mins); M Learmo for McKenzie (ht); G Gilchrist for Connor (50 mins); S Hughes for Brown, R Weir for Black (both 55 mins); C Owenson for Pettie (60); J Hill for Fedo (68).

Referee: C Lafon (France).
© 2008 The Irish Times
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Heard that Scottish full-back is tasty.............. :wink:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

A revolution in physical development is urgently required.
I recall that at the U19 RWC at Ravenhill last year, the Welsh team were perhaps one of a very few number of teams who looked (physically) to be a match for the SH teams and they did well in the competition.

Physical development was discussed at that time and there was a wide range of opinion.

I still feel that I would prefer to see the kids maximise their academic achievement rather than develop their bodies.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

agreed cables.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Its not hard to do both cables! In my U6th year at school we got a new coach/PE teacher and took both rugby and academics very seriously.

On the rugby/physical front he started running weights sessions twice a week at 8am for all those interested, and I do believe the next season and indeed until now the sessions are compulsary for any senior squad members.

And in relation to school work and academics i remember being out of the common room during "free periods" and bollocked for not knuckling down on coursework etc. I think on a few occasions I was also (along with others) made to run an extra lap of a few more hill sprits because other teachers had had a word in his ear about us not working!

Im sure you can all well its worked, my spelling and puncuation are 2nd to none, its also 1AM and im cramming for an effing engineering exam tomorrow morning!!!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

2008 UNDER-18 SIX NATIONS FESTIVAL: Tuesday, April 1
IRELAND U-18 SCHOOLS 17 ITALY U-18 15, Cork Institute of Technology

Scorers: Ireland: Tries: Luke Marshall, Craig O'Hanlon, Brian Cagney; Con: James McKinney

Italy: Andrea Manici, Tommaso Benvenuti; Con: Tommaso Benvenuti; Pen: Tommaso Benvenuti

Ireland had to dig deep for this victory as Italy led by three points with ten minutes to go, but a try from prop Brian Cagney in the dying moments of game was enough to secure them the win.

In a game which really only sparked into life in the second half, it was Italy who started the better. They produced some fine offloading in the early exchanges with the likes of full-back Enrico Michelini and scrum half Edoardo Gori making some eye-catching breaks.

An early try for the visitors looked certain as Italy worked their way patiently up-field and number 8 Lorenzo Santelli had the line at his mercy only to drop the ball much to Ireland's relief.

James McKinney missed an effort on goal as Ireland pushed forward but the boys in green were more potent in attack as the half wore on.

The hosts did finish the half on a high however as their first score finally came from some excellent play up front.

A strong rolling maul saw Ireland win a penalty which they opted to put in the corner and when David O'Callaghan, captain on the day, won the ball in the air it was spun wide to Luke Marshall who did brilliantly to cut through and touch down.

Ireland though got off to the worst possible start after the break when they conceded a try just seconds after the restart.

Italy won a lineout cleanly and from the resulting ruck, hooker Andrea Manici broke free to crash over and level the score at 5-5.

Ireland recovered very well from their poor start and they did better with ball in hand. When O'Callaghan took another clean lineout, close to the Italian line, the play was pushed wide again for Craig O'Hanlon who used his pace to round the defence and score.

McKinney added the extras to push Ireland into a 12-6 lead and things were looking up for the hosts.

McKinney worked the corners well with his boot but Italy dealt well on the counter attack and their hard work paid off when a superb break from centre Tommaso Benvenuti saw him cut right through Ireland's midfield to dot down under the posts with just ten minutes to go.

Benvenuti converted his own score and the sides were suddenly level. Benvenuti then knocked over a penalty to Italy ahead, as the game entered the closing minutes.

But Ireland were not giving up easily and they notched the match-winning try when Cagney crashed over following a very good maul deep in the Italian half.

In the other games at the Festival, England beat Scotland 32-5 and Wales won 25-13 against France.

IRELAND U-18 SCHOOLS: Gavin Nugent (Presentation Brothers College Cork); Diarmaid McCarthy (Castletroy Community College), Michael Allen (Methodist College Belfast), Luke Marshall (Ballymena Academy), Craig O'Hanlon (St. Munchin's College); James McKinney (Campbell College), Jason Bloomfield (Coleraine Academical Institute); Brian Cagney (Presentation Brothers College Cork), Risteard Byrne (Terenure College), Martin Moore (Castleknock College), Brian Hayes (Christian Brothers College Cork), David O'Callaghan (Midleton College) (capt), Dominic Ryan (Gonzaga College), Paul Pritchard (Ballymena Academy), Richard Bent (St. Mary's College).

Replacements used: Jack O'Connell (Clongowes Wood College) for Moore (46 mins), Ben Marshall (St. Andrew's College) for Hayes (52), Brian O'Hara (Presentation Brothers College Cork) for Ryan (55), Niall Annett (Methodist College Belfast) for Byrne (57), John Cooney (Gonzaga College) for Bloomfield (65), Denis Buckley (Blackrock College) for Cagney (70), Patrick Butler (Rockwell College) for Pritchard (72).

ITALY U-18: Enrico Michelini (Modena); Francesco Lenzi (Cavalieri), Constantino Ricciardi (Petrarca), Tommaso Benvenuti (Viadana), Giovanbattista Venditti (SSD Unione Capitolina; Alberto Chillon (Petrarca), Edoardo Gori (Cavalieri); Antonio Denti (Viadana), Andrea Manici (Gran Parma), Nicola Corbanese (Benetton Treviso), Filippo Cazzola (Montebelluna), Paolo Stinchello (SSD Unione Capitolina), Filippo Ferrarini (Noceto FC), Gabriele Cicchinelli (SSD Unione Capitolina), Lorenzo Santelli (ASD Universita Cosenza).

Replacements used: Edoardo Carugi (Montepaschi Viadana) for Corbanese, Enrico Lioneri (Ruggers Tarvisum) for Denti (both 35 mins), Nicola Belardo (Partenope) for Cicchinelli (47), Corbanese for Carugi (50).

Referee: Colin Brett (Scotland)
Hope the exam went well Fuzzy. Good to see you preparing for another career after your pro Rugby career. :wink:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

haha, yeh that never took off, I was all set for the big time but eddy osullivan got the blazers to block ulster offering me a contract, as an out half he just said i liked to play a game which was to expansive and i was too unpredictable, sometime i even run with the ball as well as kick it you know!!!!
MOE6
Novice

Post by MOE6 »

i really doubt that the irish schools props are 15.5 stone the smaller prop at my school is 17 stone
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

That doesnt mean ur props are any good moe!
MOE6
Novice

Post by MOE6 »

yea completly agree with what your saying
you dont have to be big to be a good prop
what i meant was that any ulster or irish props ive ever seen have been well over 15.5 stone
infact a good example of a top class light prop is that guy azursa ( cant spell his name lol) that plays for leicster

and funnily enough the smaller prop at my skul is better 2