Mini Rugby Coaching

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Mini Rugby Coaching

Post by pwrmoore »

It's not a lack of being taught what to do boggy. But Kids are kids and they gravitate towards the ball. In most Mini set-ups they are taught all about lining out across the field, marking their man, holding position, etc. but in the heat of the game they tend to forget what they were taught. I can't say I blame them either. I wish I'd got to play at ravenhill....
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

bogboy wrote:The thing that annoys me most about the minor games played at half time is that none of the kids have been taught to have vision --

Ie they all mill around the ball and then some kid starts to round an ark in the hope he is faster

They don't appear to have been taught the how to line across a pitch and to play across to find space to attack

everybody wants to be within 3-4 feet of the ball.
I take it you don't; coach kids, work with kids or have any of your own. :shake:
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

YoungMan wrote:
AndyB wrote:After all the training just do what any mini coach I've ever met did - pick your own son and then give him the player of the year award at the end of the season.
MMMMMMMMMM drinking from the cup of bitterness :x
Not bitter YM just bemused. T'was 6 or 7 years ago at Lisburn, unbelievable at the end of season awards ceremony how many coaches' sons got either play of the year or most improved player.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

UlsterJock. This may interest you.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/23_15855.php
IRB Launches New Online Coaching System
28 January 2009
10:38 am
28 January 2009, 10:38 am
By Editor
The International Rugby Board has launched a new online coaching system designed to help coaches get their hands on essential and up-to-date resources for improving their coaching.
Ireland coaching staff at a training session
The Ireland coaching staff confer at an Ireland training session
© Inpho.ie
http://www.IRBcoaching.com features is free to join and membership includes access to the online rugby answers forum and free monthly newsletters with top advice on improving your coaching.

Key features include:

6 Stages to Rugby - Six simple steps to teach beginners rugby.

Coaching Hints - Top hints and tips for coaches, from getting started to working with schools.

Key Skills - a focus on the key skills of the game, plus example practices.

The IRFU's National Coach Development Manager, Stephen Aboud, welcomed the launch of online system: "This is an excellent resource for coaches and I think it will also enhance and improve the sharing of ideas amongst coaches."

To register visit http://www.IRBcoaching.com

For more on coaching rugby in Ireland click here.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

cables wrote:UlsterJock. This may interest you.
IRB Launches New Online Coaching System
28 January 2009
Thanks cables - looks good, signed up already and off to spread the news, :salut:

Just the sort of thing needed to raise the bar and help avoid the situation talked about in previous posts :thumleft: :thumleft:
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I realise only to well that kids will be kids

but it is the coaches who should be telling them to pass the ball to find players in space and that the game is a team game

If you want them to play the Eton Wall game send them to Eton

I started playing with a rugby ball at about the age of 6 with 4- 8 other boys ( in the street ) all we did was pass catch run and kick the ball and play the odd game of touch rugby of those I played with at that time two possibly three played later for Ulster and one became an International

i e the moral is that the smaller the group the less chance there is for the ball to become a boy magnet because everyone has the chance to have the ball provided he is in the right place and can catch it
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

bogboy wrote: I started playing with a rugby ball at about the age of 6 with 4- 8 other boys ( in the street ) all we did was pass catch run and kick the ball and play the odd game of touch rugby of those I played with at that time two possibly three played later for Ulster and one became an International

i e the moral is that the smaller the group the less chance there is for the ball to become a boy magnet because everyone has the chance to have the ball provided he is in the right place and can catch it
I think you're missing some of the point boggy. In training, just like with your small group of friends the boys will hold position and pass up and down the line all day long. They will even take a tackle, go to ground, lay the ball back and have their forwards clean out the ruck while the backs line out ready for the next phase. The scrum have will even pick up and deliver a nice clean pass from the base of the ruck to the waiting backs.

Put them into a match in front of their parents or even in front of a packed Ravenhill and after a few phases they lose their composure and before you know it they're all in there tackling, rucking, trying to be the next to take the ball on. It is understandable and I'd be surprised if you and your mates would have been any more structured in the same situation.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

of those I played with at that time two possibly three played later for Ulster and one became an International
OK boggy put me out of my misery please. Gibson, Young or Lamont as the Intl.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

Guys, heres a suggestion for you.

Go to your local club on a Saturday morning and ask if they need any help coaching the kids. I guarantee that the answer will be a big yes.

I spent a year watching 2 coaches (sometimes only one) trying to control 20 kids (including my own son)

One morning myself and another dad brought our boots and offered to help. We've been doing it for 2 years now. I look forward to Saturday mornings even more than I did when I used to play. Try it! The craic is great! :cheers:

Incidentally my son won "Player of the Year" last Year! :D (but I didn't vote for him! :wink: ) The main reason coaches sons get the awards is because they tend to play rugby with their dads between times! Its the same as most things in life - practice makes (not quite) perfect! LOL

btw, we have a policy whereby a kid can only get one award during his time at the club. So, 4 awards per year over 4 years = 16 kids get a trophy! :cheers:
You don't know! You weren't there!
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Extract from:

IRB Coaching Newsletter - Volume 2
Dear Fellow Coaches,

Since we launched the new www.IRBcoaching.com website just a few weeks ago, we have had over 20,000 visitors to the site from all over the world. Coaches, referees, teachers, parents and even spectators have all been logging on to see the latest articles, practices, links and questions on the site.

I have enjoyed trying to answer as many questions as I could over the past few weeks. Hopefully, other coaches will chip in with answers as well from now on. Just go to the “Answers” section and see if there is a question there you think you can help with. It is easy to click on a question and then click again on “Post an answer to this question.”

This month too, click on this link to the “Scrum Competency Questionnaire” so you can test your knowledge of the Laws on scrummaging. There are 12 multiple choice questions and any score under 12 could have serious implications for your teams!

The answers to the quiz will be posted on the irbcoaching.com website within the next few days so check to see how many you got right!

Hopefully, you will find this newsletter interesting and informative and please, if you have any queries, or suggestions on how we can improve either the website or the newsletters, let us know via the "Feedback Form" and we will respond as quickly as possible to you.

I wish you well in your coaching,

Simon Jones
IRB Trainer
Editor IRBCoaching.com
simon@irbcoaching.com

Have joined and use the chalkboard facility it's not bad :thumleft:
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Thanks to Simon Brereton for posting this link on the IRB site, really good ideas and lots of them:

http://www.teddingtonrfc.co.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=84

:salut:
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

IRFU Certified Conditioning Coach Course

http://www.irishrugby.ie/468_81.php
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Found this on my travels, may form a useful template for others?

I would think the mini-convener would send you a word copy if you were interested - worth an ask?

http://www.ballymenarfc.com/Miniforms/B ... ay2009.pdf

:thumright:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Why ask the convener to send you a copy when you can instantly print it out yourself as its in a text document already.
Last edited by fuzzylogic on Thu May 28, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

fuzzylogic wrote:Why ask the convener to send you a copy when you can instantly print it out yourself as its in a word document already.
Because the link takes you to a document in pdf format - if you get in "word" format its easier to edit and change to suit your own needs.
fighting0085.gif
fighting0085.gif (9.2 KiB) Viewed 5211 times