New Scrum Half?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

New Scrum Half?

Post by Bart S »

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 82848.html

Already on the Rumours thread i know, but for the benefit of those who don’t go on that part of the forum.

I would be delighted with this :red:
TopPoster
Initiate

Re: New Scrum Half?

Post by TopPoster »

Simple Q - why would Ulster be allowed to sign him, but not Ruan again?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

TopPoster wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:06 am Simple Q - why would Ulster be allowed to sign him, but not Ruan again?
Ruans personal circumstances have changed. As I understand it he is back playing for his hometown team to be near his family circle.

No shock there putting his family ahead of playing aspirations such is the calibre of the man.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am
TopPoster wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:06 am Simple Q - why would Ulster be allowed to sign him, but not Ruan again?
Ruans personal circumstances have changed. As I understand it he is back playing for his hometown team to be near his family circle.

No shock there putting his family ahead of playing aspirations such is the calibre of the man.
... and he has indicated that he may be hanging up the boots at the end of the season.

He's not far off 400 senior games in his pro career which is phenomenal.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

I just ask do I prefer Alby starting to Shanners.......hell yeah so plugs a year to develope or find a scrummie who doesn’t have us all wetting ourselves when Conneys not available.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

SparkyClarky wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 am I just ask do I prefer Alby starting to Shanners.......hell yeah so plugs a year to develope or find a scrummie who doesn’t have us all wetting ourselves when Conneys not available.
Eggsackerly

I‘m often awakened in the middle of the night in a panic stricken cold sweat by the memory of WeeD and his Home European debut.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

With Lewis Finlay going so well with the U20s... why would the IRFU sanction that now?

I suppose the question is - will Ulster be brave enough to stick him on the bench from next month till end of season?
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Amiga500 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm With Lewis Finlay going so well with the U20s... why would the IRFU sanction that now?

I suppose the question is - will Ulster be brave enough to stick him on the bench from next month till end of season?
I think signing him gives Finlay and/or Doak space to develop with a decent mentor when Cooney is away provided Shanahan doesn't get gametime. Should be Cooney with Finlay/Doak benching or Alby with Finlay/Doak benching with Cooney/Alby for the big European games.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Graham Curtis selected for Ireland 7s squad in the next round of the world series.

Had forgotten about him, I take it he is not going to be an answer for us.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Silverstu wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm
Amiga500 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm With Lewis Finlay going so well with the U20s... why would the IRFU sanction that now?

I think signing him gives Finlay and/or Doak space to develop with a decent mentor when Cooney is away provided Shanahan doesn't get gametime. Should be Cooney with Finlay/Doak benching or Alby with Finlay/Doak benching with Cooney/Alby for the big European games.
Have to admit, I'm not a great believer in that philosophy.

If they are good enough, they are the bench 9 when Cooney is there. When Cooney is away, if they aren't good enough to start then you have a problem.

Antoine Dupont is 23. He has already played (at least) 95... yes, ninety five... games for Castres and Toulouse.

If he was here - would he have half that?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

amigo -- there are very few players in any professional league with that many caps at 23 he is an exception not the rule.

It is not really a question of good enough it is a question of being mature enough to survive -- a young inexperienced player only needs to be hit Badly once to possibly ruin his confidence or be badly injured .

Finlay has some way to go in my book to face before he faces a nasty black arts welsh pack. a few months in the gym with Tyson Fury would work wonders.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:52 pm Graham Curtis selected for Ireland 7s squad in the next round of the world series.

Had forgotten about him, I take it he is not going to be an answer for us.
He seems to me another of these scrumhalves that Ulster tends to sign whose best position isn't scrumhalf.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

This is Nucifora finally admitting he was wrong.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:13 pmIt is not really a question of good enough it is a question of being mature enough to survive -- a young inexperienced player only needs to be hit Badly once to possibly ruin his confidence or be badly injured .
That's a load of fúckin bullshit man.

You learn from having less space, less time and bigger tackles. You focus on the basics quickly and then build your game from there.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Regardless of what I think - the signing is confirmed.

I can only assume it means both Shanners and Stewart are out the door - and Finlay's the youngster who'll be 3rd choice.