Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 pm

any word on the academy? possible additions?

recovery from covid and potential A games?

RuPi
Novice
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by RuPi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Leinster away next week.

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 pm

RuPi wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm
Leinster away next week.
>gimmefive

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Stats for announced Ulster Academy players published:

Prop
Callum Reid(21) - 6ft, 118kg

Hooker
Tom Stewart(19) - 6ft, 100kg
James McCormick(18) - 5'11, 103kg

Lock
Cormac Izuchukwu(20) - 6'7, 114kg

Backrow
Azur Allison(21) - 6'3, 106kg
David McCann(20) - 6'4, 107kg
Rueben Crothers(18) - 6'2, 95kg

Scrumhalf
Lewis Finlay(20) - 5'6, 74kg
Nathan Doak(18) - 6'1, 86kg

Outhalf
Bruce Houston(21) - 6'4, 92kg

Centre
Hayden Hyde(20) - 6'3, 97kg
Ben Carson(18) - 6ft, 98kg

Back Three
Ethan McIlroy(20) - N/A
Aaron Sexton(20) - 6'2, 94kg
Conor Rankin(19) - 6'1, 87kg

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11324
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Jackie Brown » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Bruce Houston is a big fella. How many of these guys will make the grade?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Jackie Brown wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Bruce Houston is a big fella. How many of these guys will make the grade?
at least half.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Bayern wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:49 pm
Jackie Brown wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Bruce Houston is a big fella. How many of these guys will make the grade?
at least half.
Good to see Sexton giving up on the 7s circuit.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Bayern wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Stats for announced Ulster Academy players published:

Prop
Callum Reid(21) - 6ft, 118kg

Hooker
Tom Stewart(19) - 6ft, 100kg
James McCormick(18) - 5'11, 103kg

Lock
Cormac Izuchukwu(20) - 6'7, 114kg

Backrow
Azur Allison(21) - 6'3, 106kg
David McCann(20) - 6'4, 107kg
Rueben Crothers(18) - 6'2, 95kg

Scrumhalf
Lewis Finlay(20) - 5'6, 74kg
Nathan Doak(18) - 6'1, 86kg

Outhalf
Bruce Houston(21) - 6'4, 92kg

Centre
Hayden Hyde(20) - 6'3, 97kg
Ben Carson(18) - 6ft, 98kg

Back Three
Ethan McIlroy(20) - N/A
Aaron Sexton(20) - 6'2, 94kg
Conor Rankin(19) - 6'1, 87kg
Reid
Stewart
Mccann
Crothers
Doak
Mcilroy
Sexton

The rest won’t make it at ulster IMO
The King is dead. Long live the King.

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11324
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Jackie Brown » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:44 pm

I thought Azur Allison was one to watch
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Jackie Brown wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:44 pm
I thought Azur Allison was one to watch
Might be a bit harsh with him.

Worried that injuries will hold him back.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Bayern » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 pm

McCormick much be highly rated if he was offered an academy place as a 18 year old hooker coming out of school.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Bayern wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 pm
McCormick much be highly rated if he was offered an academy place as a 18 year old hooker coming out of school.
These are just my opinions.

Some of the academy decisions are appalling.
Rankin ahead of McIlroy last year was laughable (anybody who watches schoolboy rugby would of known that)
Stewart and Finlay ahead of O’Donnell.
Houston ahead of Armstrong (albeit medicine might of made his decision)
Carson (IMO is overrated)- my bet will postlewaite will be ahead of him in a year or two

To be honest I’m bored of it now.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

jean valjean
Warrior Assassin
Posts: 1426
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by jean valjean » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Always thought Hyde looked decent in the u20s. Big unit for his age and we could do with someone coming through as a 12.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:32 pm

jean valjean wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:28 pm
Always thought Hyde looked decent in the u20s. Big unit for his age and we could do with someone coming through as a 12.
Skills nowhere near professional level.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

Silverstu
Novice
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Silverstu » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 pm

kingofthehill wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 pm
Bayern wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:49 pm
Jackie Brown wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Bruce Houston is a big fella. How many of these guys will make the grade?
at least half.
Good to see Sexton giving up on the 7s circuit.
Sexton back with Ulster then? Would be good to see him and McIlroy break though this year with Balacoune being out and Gilroy being off form..

Still think Finlay could be useful but I'll not argue with you on it..

Post Reply