Nine sign for Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Nine sign for Ulster

Post by cables »

Ulster Rugby Announce Signings
13 January 2010, 12:18 pm
By Christine McNally

Ulster Rugby can confirm nine squad signings, ahead of the 2010/11 season...

Ulster No8 Chris Henry has signed a new three year deal with the Club. Henry made his senior squad debut in the 2008/2009 season for Ulster, and has gone from strength to strength, captaining the side on numerous occasions, in Rory Bests absence through injury, and being awarded five Ireland 'A' caps.

Senior squad members; Nigel Brady, who has been caped 65 times to date for Ulster, Willie Faloon and Ian Whitten, have all re-signed on two year contracts.

Speaking about the Clubs recent signings, Ulster Rugby Operations Director, David Humphreys said: "The Management team at Ulster are delighted that we have been able to re-sign key home grown talent to the squad. Our focus is to continually build on the foundations set and mould a powerful Ulster side, consisting mainly of ingenious players, with a number of high profile overseas signings.

"It has been great to see young players coming through the ranks and making their mark."

"We are very close to completing the squad for the 2010/2011 season. Over the next few weeks we will aim to announce the majority of our contract news."

Commenting on his recent re-signing with Ulster, Chris Henry said: "I believe the squad has moved a considerable distance over the past twelve months, and has now become a young vibrant side. Ulster has become a challenging team, both in the Magners League and Heineken Cup, and will continue to go from strength to strength. I am really pleased that I will be part of the team for years' to come.

"They are a great bunch of guys in the squad, and there is some fantastic talent coming through, so the future with Ulster is looking really exciting."

Phoenix Ulster Rugby Academy players; scrum half, Ian Porter, centre/wing Nevin Spence, prop Adam Macklin and prop Paddy McAllister, have all signed one year contracts with Ulster Rugby, as has Belfast Harlequins player Neil McComb.

Commenting on the Phoenix Ulster Rugby Academy player signings, Academy Manager, Gary Longwell, remarked: "These contracts are a testament that the Phoenix Ulster Rugby Academy system is working, and working well. Credit must be given to the Schools' coaches who have worked tremendously hard with these players to get them to such a standard, the Academy staff then build on this work, to bridge the gap between the school and professional game.

"David Humphreys and Brian McLaughlin have recognised the home grown talent available, and have given these players a chance to excel. The challenge is now on the players to push their way into the Ulster squad and make the positions their own.

"These players are the future of Ulster and hopefully future Irish internationals, having all played at Irish under20's level" continued Gary.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Nine sign for Ulster

Post by mikerob »

cables wrote:"The Management team at Ulster are delighted that we have been able to re-sign key home grown talent to the squad. Our focus is to continually build on the foundations set and mould a powerful Ulster side, consisting mainly of ingenious players, with a number of high profile overseas signings.
Anyone else think that this should be indigenous players?

Maybe not... and we can expect to see all sorts of tricks and clever ideas on the pitch. :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

No surprises about Henry, Brady, Whitten,and Faloon staying here, would have been a serious shock if they left.
Don't know a heap about the rest of the guys but hope to see them at the next Ravens match.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Time for an updated squad/contract expiry list?
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Caldwell must be sweating over his future with Ulster, given our focus on ingenious players...
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

notj wrote:Caldwell must be sweating over his future with Ulster, given our focus on ingenious players...
That made me laugh! :lol:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

He may be sweating on his future anyway.

Perhaps if Matt McC retires that may save him
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

By my reckoning that leaves the following Irish players to be resolve:

Paddy, Court, Best, Boss, Humph,Caldy, Matt, Willis, Marshall and D.Fitzpatrick
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Ardglass2 wrote:By my reckoning that leaves the following Irish players to be resolve:

I can't see there being 4 SHs in the squad so one of Willis, Boss or Marshall to depart???
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ardglass2 wrote:By my reckoning that leaves the following Irish players to be resolve:

Has Rory not another year on his contact anyway :?
mikerob wrote:

I can't see there being 4 SHs in the squad so one of Willis, Boss or Marshall to depart???
If the rumour about Peel is correct then make that 2
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I've seen enough of Marshall to suggest he may be one. Sadly havent seen enough of Willis this term to comment, although he did impress last year.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

According to the last update by Cables, that I can find, Rory is 2010.

Also my list of Irish players should include Mr Ed - forgetting he is not an Aussie inspite of the accent :lol:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I know the first three need further research but 2009 is the latest I could find today.
(My main computer is recovering from a backdoor_xxxxxx virus which requires everything to be reloaded - Some say Norton is good!)

Any other errors or omissions are my own.

Fitzpatrick D. 2009
Marshall P. 2009
Willis C. 2009

Best R. 2010
Boss I. 2010
Caldwell R. 2010
Court T. 2010
Danielli S. 2010
Fitzpatrick J. 2010
Humphreys I. 2010
McCullough M. 2010
Nagusa T. 2010
O'Donoghue E. 2010
Schifcofske C. 2010
Wallace P. 2010

Anderson T. 2011
Botha B. 2011
Cave D. 2011
Cunningham B. 2011
Diack R. 2011
Ferris S. 2011
Horua T. 2011
Kyriacou A. 2011
Macklin A. 2011
McAllister P. 2011
McComb N. 2011
McCrea M. 2011
O'Connor N. 2011
Pollock D. 2011
Porter I. 2011
Spence N. 2011
Trimble A. 2011
Tuohy D. 2011
Young B. 2011

Brady N. 2012
Faloon W. 2012
Whitten I. 2012

Henry C. 2013

Academy Players
Michael Allen (Harlequins)
Ricky Andrew (Ballymena)
Niall Annett (Harlequins)
John Burns (Ballymena)
Chris Cochrane (Dungannon)
Sean Dougall (Malone)
Conor Gaston (Dungannon)
Michael Heaney (Harlequins)
James Sandford (Dungannon)
Tommy Seymour (Ballymena)
Johnny Shiels (Queens)
Jamie Smith (Ballymena)
Luke Marshall (Ballymena)
James McKinney (Queens)
Paul Pritchard (Ballymena)

No contract news for Smith.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

When I saw Declan Fitzpatrick, Marshall and Willis were not listed for 2011 I just assumed they were 2010 - my error.

I'll send the dogs out as I should be able to find out when Declan's contract is up.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

What way does it work for the academy players contract wise?

like for Jamie Smith and Johnny Shiels. Are they on development deals or something along those lines?