Wolfhounds at Ravers

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Wolfhounds at Ravers

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

52848-a.jpg
52848-a.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Could have picked a better photo than this to annouce that the Irish Wolfhounds are playing at Scotland!
(kinda like this name actually, in a 'isn't it disastrous but still kinda funny' sort of way)

Can I have the ball Darren?
No it's mine.
Oh you, go on! Please please please!
Chillax trimbo!
Ha ha Darren you're brill!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Wolfhounds at Ravers

Post by mikerob »

I suspect a slip-up by someone in the UB to call the team the Wolfhounds before it gets announced officially... :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:I suspect a slip-up by someone in the UB to call the team the Wolfhounds before it gets announced officially... :lol:
I thought it was to be announced at the Ireland A game in Dublin last autumn ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Yeah, it was meant to be a competition for the Irish Rugby Supporters Club - suggest a name, the winning name gets selected by the IRFU and a fan who suggested the name gets chosen at random. The name was meant to be announced at the Ireland A v Argentina A game, winning fan gets VIP tickets, meets team, etc.

I'm guessing that there may have been something like trademark issues that had to be sorted out (the Ireland Rugby League team is called the Wolfhounds...) so it didn't happen last year but may happen for the game at Ravenhill.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

YoungMan wrote:IRISH WOLFHOUNDS as a representive team is not new nor original.................i am sure Dr Cables will fill us in
They played Llanelly (their spelling) in September 1963

http://www.rugbyrelics.com/images/aaaaa/ip/97.jpg
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

At least up to 2006/2007, Wolfhounds had the status of a Touring Club within Leinster Branch. Karl Mullen was the President - perhaps right up to his death last year.

The first club committee (1956/57 season) was
Karl Mullen
Jack Kyle
Tony O'Reilly

Although registered as a Touring Club, their teams would perhaps have been more correctly called invitational sides.

Irish Internationals and non-internationals were selected as were players from other countries.

IMO it would be a disgrace for Ireland A to adopt the name Wolfhounds. I would like to believe that Karl Mullen would have told them so.

Further info could be got from Jack Kyle next time you are speaking to him.
Last edited by cables on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

If it had been the Samoan match in November they could have brought in the Royal Irish plus their Wolfhound to play the anthems :stir:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

They have a Wolfhound that plays anthems. :roll:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:They have a Wolfhound that plays anthems. :roll:
Nah but he usually walks out in front of the band, they drape the banner over his back :lol:
Rory Best
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

If memory serves it may be older Cables but it was an invitational side an Irish "Baa-Baas" with a sort of charitable intention to it playing an open exhibition type of game, thus it would be in my view a very questionable choice for an irish "A " side.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

YoungMan wrote:(This pains me somewhat) Boggy you are correct :cry:
You agreeing that they pre-date 1956 YM?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

So when was the last time the Wolfhounds invitational team actually played a game?

They don't have any exclusive rights to the name, and now appear to be either defunct, or an obscure irrelevance.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

YoungMan wrote:
mikerob wrote:So when was the last time the Wolfhounds invitational team actually played a game?

They don't have any exclusive rights to the name, and now appear to be either defunct, or an obscure irrelevance.
Mike ur at it again.........talking through yer hole....has anyone once said or implied that there was "exclusive rights" NOPE just that its not original you go of on these tangents all the time and your witless followers er follow.............anyway i remember Dusty Hare(english man and a great 15) playing for the Irish Wolfhounds, they wore a Green and white hoopeed kit so that was around the early -mid 80's I also remember them playing 7's at Rosslyn Park(i was there) mike i assume you were in nappys then :roll: or were they also an obscure irrelevence...................
So feckin what YM? What is the relevance of a team playing in the Rosslyn Park 7s 30 years ago to the Ireland team today?

The fact that you agree with bogboy just proves that you're the one talking through your hole.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

cables wrote:
YoungMan wrote:(This pains me somewhat) Boggy you are correct :cry:
You agreeing that they pre-date 1956 YM?
YoungMan wrote:Oh and i woke up still agreeing with Baggy so it was not a dream
That reads like a "Yes". If so, I refer you and Boggy to the Irish Times of 27 July 1956 (Page 2) to an article under the headline "Irish Equivalent of "Barbarians" Formed".

I have not wasted what would approach the cost of a bottle of Scotch to enable me to view the whole article but perhaps someone with a subscription will determine if it was 1956 or if that was only a formalisation of something that had taken place informally before then.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Yup, the Irish Rugby League team is called the Wolfhounds and have trademarked a logo with this name in the Irish patent office so the IRFU would need to ensure this is not an issue and I'm guessing something like this may have delayed the original intent to announce a name last year.

But assuming the legals are fine... so what?

"iPhone" isn't an original name but how many people know or care what the other products with this name were.