Boss going to Leinster??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Ardglass2 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:20 am

2 points:

1 - Boss doesn't have a Central contract so he hasn't just lost it.
Leinster are offering him more money but as I understand it is not because we cant pay , it is because we wont pay
what he wants

2 - My understanding is, and I agree a degree of specualtion in this, is that McLaughlin just prefers a quick passing scrum half, not a Boss type. I would further speculate that the reason we saw a lot of Marshall early in the season was McLaughlin was assessing if he was up to the standard required. The decision made was that he didn't

Did mean to have a go - sorry if it came across like that :salut:

User avatar
bogboy
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: 2 close 4 comfort

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by bogboy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Boss wasn't out of form last season or the season before as stated by me he was playing with a disorganised pack and in saying that I'm not blaming Matt but there was a great lack of leadership on the park a sort of" it will alright on the night" and when
the opposaition put the pressure on and it was" the first ten minutes at the sales" everybody running everywhere and knowbody knew why

I have stood on the terrace and heard fans shouting at Boss "Get it out-- Get it out" if they had looked further than Boss and the ball they would have seen that the first receiver was unsupported or the backline were all out of position and by the time they got sorted so was the opposition
2B or not 2B that is the question ?

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11294
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Jackie Brown » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Boggy, you are wasted on this forum, you need to get into the coaching setup, pronto! :lol: :wink:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 40137
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Rooster » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:45 pm

bogboy wrote:Boss wasn't out of form last season or the season before as stated by me he was playing with a disorganised pack and in saying that I'm not blaming Matt but there was a great lack of leadership on the park a sort of" it will alright on the night" and when
the opposaition put the pressure on and it was" the first ten minutes at the sales" everybody running everywhere and knowbody knew why

I have stood on the terrace and heard fans shouting at Boss "Get it out-- Get it out" if they had looked further than Boss and the ball they would have seen that the first receiver was unsupported or the backline were all out of position and by the time they got sorted so was the opposition
I actually agree with boggy on this :shock: :banghead: :banghead:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best

User avatar
scrum5
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6075
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by scrum5 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:42 pm

UR.... still in the Amateur Era :duh:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016

User avatar
ding dong2u
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: University of Walamaloo

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by ding dong2u » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:18 pm

It's a bloody disgrace that we can't hold on to our best players :twisted:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012

Fly Half
Steward
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Norn Irn

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Fly Half » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:05 am

Sad to see Boss go. He was distraught after the Bath game as his last EHC game for Ulster - still it was a record breaking one :)

IMO playing at Leinster he'll be back in an Ireland shirt in no time.
The future isn't what it used to be

User avatar
Gemma
Warrior
Posts: 1152
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Gemma » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:10 am

Fingers crossed that he'll get something out of the move, if he's not too keen on leaving Ulster. It would be great to see him in the Ireland shirt again, and IMO he's a far better player than Stringer, so it shouldn't be too difficult. In theory...

User avatar
stickinout
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1836
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by stickinout » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am

Ardglass2 wrote:2 points:

1 - Boss doesn't have a Central contract so he hasn't just lost it.
Leinster are offering him more money but as I understand it is not because we cant pay , it is because we wont pay
what he wants

2 - My understanding is, and I agree a degree of specualtion in this, is that McLaughlin just prefers a quick passing scrum half, not a Boss type. I would further speculate that the reason we saw a lot of Marshall early in the season was McLaughlin was assessing if he was up to the standard required. The decision made was that he didn't

Did mean to have a go - sorry if it came across like that :salut:

AG2
Did you mean to have a go or not? Not sure! :o

a few questions for you:

1. Did Boss never have a central contract or do you know when he lost it? I'm just curious as i've no idea. Any idea what his Ulster contract would have amounted to? Any idea what Leinster were offering?

What you said :
" but as I understand it is not because we cant pay , it is because we wont pay
what he wants"
makes a lot of sense. Do you know someone in the know or just your opinion?

2. Again this makes sense and i would believe it could be the case. McL doesn't think Boss is what we need and so looks elsewhere but then why wasn't he looking before the Peel/Blair witch project started? Perhaps he just doesn't think Boss is worth what his agent was asking or doesn't rate him.

Nothing sticks in the gut like losing an experienced, streetwise SH Ulsterman. The more i think about this, it's going to come back and haunt us next year. I hope not.


Shan,
If you're out there, any idea if the contract MOD got from Munster matched the money the IRFU gave him? Again, i'm just curious to know the answer.

User avatar
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Ardglass2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:08 am

I don't know if Boss had a ever had a Central contract he certaintly doesn't now.

My understanding is he was looking for a sum Leinster were prepared to pay but we weren't. I am not 100% certain of that -call it informed speculation.

I think the bottom line is Ulster were not putting themselves out to keep him.
If we don't get a quality player in this could put us in a terrible position.

My view is we have made ourselves hostage to any top class SH as they know we are in desperate need to sign one.
I suspect we saw Peel, Blair and Pienaer were available and thought we will get one of them and its all gone pear shaped.

ravinghill
Novice
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by ravinghill » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:29 am

Just a quick question - is the Boss move to Leinster a definite then ?
Apart from on this board everything seems to have gone quiet about it after the reports last week that didnt actually confirm anything .... remember, the media have been very wrong before with regards signing of contracts etc !!

(maybe I'm just being hopeful !!!)

User avatar
ColinM
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 7857
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by ColinM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 am

ravinghill wrote:Just a quick question - is the Boss move to Leinster a definite then ?
Apart from on this board everything seems to have gone quiet about it after the reports last week that didnt actually confirm anything .... remember, the media have been very wrong before with regards signing of contracts etc !!

(maybe I'm just being hopeful !!!)
Quite right Ravinghil, dont believe anything until its announced.

User avatar
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Ardglass2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Given what has subsequently transpired I wonder if anyone in the Ulster set up is man enough to sit down with Boss admit the branch screwed up and that we would like him to stay, at the rate he wants.

I doubt it but I live in hope.

User avatar
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Ardglass2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:47 pm

I would make a cheeky request for O'Donoghue.

He is not going to play much at Leinster next year and a year with us would help Leinster develop him.
Also gives us a year to get Porter up to speed.
He would not cost a lot.

A win win situation all round.

User avatar
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Ardglass2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Interesting - have not seen Porter just going on hearsay.

When do you think he will be ready to hold down a 1st XV place ?

Post Reply