Boss going to Leinster??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rob6
Initiate

Boss going to Leinster??

Post by Rob6 »

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb ... 477607.stm

Ulster scrum-half Isaac Boss is being strongly linked with a move to Leinster and could be replaced at Ravenhill by Mike Blair or Dwayne Peel.
Boss is understood to have already held negotiations with Leinster.
Aware that Boss could be on his way, Ulster officials are believed to have sounded out Scottish star Blair and Welsh international Peel.
Springboks half-back Ruan Pienaar is another player who could be on his way to Ulster.
Natal Sharks' player Pienaar, who was part of South Africa's World Cup winning squad in 2007, can play either scrum-half or fly-half.
Edinburgh scrum-half Blair has won over 50 caps for Scotland and was called up to the Lions squad as a replacement last year after Tomas O'Leary was ruled out by injury.
Peel, who was won 72 Wales caps and was part of the Lions squad in 2005, is out of contract at Sale Sharks at the end of this season.
The Sale Sharks player was left out of the Wales squad for the Six Nations opener against England on 6 February because of a groin injury.
However, he is expected to return to the Welsh squad for the game against Scotland a week later.
If Boss does move to Leinster, he will face a battle for the number nine shirt with another Ireland international Eoin Reddan.
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by cjp »

Taken them long enough.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

already being talked about in multiple topics
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
StevieD
Novice

Post by StevieD »

Can someone post a link to where the discussion has been held regarding Issac's departure.

please.

This is devestating news!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Has been discussed elsewhere, but probably deserves it own thread.

Anyway this post on Leinsterfans sums it up nicely
It would of course be a good move for Leinster but it makes no sense to me.

Not good for the Union, not good for the players (or one of Reddan and Boss), and I'd be curious to know who was making the signing? Whos call would it be?
Leinster's new coach is Joe Schmidt. Any previous links between him and Isaac?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I've been a big fan of isaac since he joined and generally supported him during his 'bad' times. That said, if we bring in a quality 9 then it's probably not a huge loss. For example, Blair or Pienaar would do a job. Ideally, we'd keep Boss and use the cash to sign a second row or FB.

Can't really understand why Leinster are after boss. Great squad player for them and irish qualified so fair play if they have the cash to spend on back ups!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Boss is a better player than Blair but it maybe that Redden has failed to settle at Leinster ( familywise ) and may want to return to England

Boss in my book is possibly the best all round scrum half in Ireland at the moment ( vision- pass- boot-and defence ) he suffered for a time because the Ulster forwards lacked clarity of purpose at the breakdown and was wrongly accused of being slow to recycle
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

You really think so? I'd say every aspect of his game is very very good but perhaps not outstanding or world class at anything. That said, I wouldn't say Reddan, TOL or stringer are particuarly world class at anything either. I'd be happy if Boss stayed - particuarly as he plays for the shirt and is irish qualified (so we can buy other players) but it's not the end of the world if he goes and he gets replaced by someone of the standard mentioned.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I'd be disappointed if Boss leaves, he has largely been good for us since he got here. A few ropey bits but on the whole good, and in great form currently. The alleged replacements are pretty good but we should do our best to keep our Irish qualified players.

Do we know what prompted the move? Boss wanting to move? Ulster bringing in other players and not offering Boss a new deal? Leinster going all out to get him?
StevieD
Novice

Post by StevieD »

Personally I think it would be a massive loss, especially now he is hitting top form again!

Not only is he a fantastic player but a true gent, I had the fortune to meet Isaac a few times and actually had the privilege of having a pint with him.

Top man that play's for the shirt, superb servant o Ulster.
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

He's a good all round player - he's very good at organising the forwards and the backs, which other previous scrum halves have failed to do effectively. Yes, he's had his bad games, but from what I've seen so far this season, he's really picked up his game, for whatever reason.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Ulster scrum-half Isaac Boss to link-up with Leinster

Scrum-half Isaac Boss has earned 12 full Ireland caps
Ulster's Isaac Boss is on his way to Leinster and could be replaced at Ravenhill by another top international scrum-half.

Boss is understood to have agreed a deal that will take him to Dublin.

With Boss moving on, Ulster have sounded out Scottish star Mike Blair and Welsh international Dwayne Peel.

Springbok half-back Ruan Pienaar is another player who is on Ulster's radar. The Sharks utility back was on South Africa's autumn tour.

Pienaar, who was also part of South Africa's World Cup winning squad in 2007, has also played full-back for the Sharks.

Edinburgh scrum-half Blair, who is out of contract, has won over 50 caps for Scotland and was called up to the Lions squad as a replacement last year after Tomas O'Leary was ruled out by injury.

Peel, who was won 72 Wales caps and was part of the Lions squad in 2005, is also out of contract at Sale Sharks at the end of this season and is believed to be looking a fresh challenge.

He will miss the Six Nations opener against England on 6 February because of a groin injury sustained in a Heineken Cup game two weeks ago.

However, he is expected to return to the Welsh squad for the game against Scotland a week later.

If Boss does move to Leinster, he will face a battle for the number nine shirt with another Ireland international Eoin Reddan.

Damn and blast,it seems a bit further down the line >#
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

Where did you get this from?

To be honest, it reads pretty much like everything else I've seen so far.
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

Bogbunny wrote:Boss is understood to have agreed a deal that will take him to Dublin.

Surely the second quote is a contradiction, because the start of the article all but says that he's all but signed, but the last line starts with if!!!!!! (There's still a small bit of hope!!!)
Last edited by Rob6 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

I was thinking the same thing - they start out with the idea that it's signed, sealed & delivered etc, but actually I don't think anything's been completed, from the various articles that have been online over the last few days.