Where did it all go wrong?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Where did it all go wrong?

Post by ColinM »

Off the Top wrote: if he was injured why didn't McLoughlin put Whitton on the bench?
Calculated gamble. If IH is 70% or 80% fit, he's a better fly half than the other options, of which there is only Paddy i guess.
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

mikerob wrote:I still think lack of experience at this level of rugby is a factor... it is this sort of experience that means Leinster or Munster can close out a winning position in the last quarter, or salvage a losing BP, or grab a try BP, because they've been there before and know they can do it. The return of Rory and an "enforcer" type of second row should provide lots of leadership in the pack, but there is still the lack of a "go to" player in the backs.
Mike I think that is an important point you raise and one that cannot be understated. When you think back to Munster 7 or 8 seasons ago and the disappointment they faced at not having the confidence to close out games - close but no cigar- repeatedly! However they stayed together as a team and grew in confidence together and achieved great things. Ulster are getting there but they are most definately not on a par with Leinster or Munster. we have to reign in our expectations accordingly as sad as that is as a reality, it is a fact.

I agree with many here who feel the experience of the pool stages has done wonders for a young developing team.
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

For a team rebuilding from the nadir of the end of the McCall era we have come a long way.

For me the missing ingredient is steely self belief. We were in the driving seat at Murrayfield, missed a straight forward penalty, and started to doubt ourselves. Edinburgh sensed this and turned the screw. (Incidentally, the same thing happened against Irish in Dec’06 at the Madejski Stadium. That was when the wheels really came off and we are still on the long road of recovery.)

In a similar way on Saturday, while we were again in complete control, Bath reduced to fourteen men for 60 mins and our early second half blitz, we did not have the self belief to kick on. I suspect that the old doubts resurfaced. Bath at full strength might well have nicked it.

On a positive, this side has shown on a number of recent occasions that they can travel and win, and for that I remain hopeful for the future.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

To answer the original question - it didn't go wrong.

First compettive win ever in England.
Closest to qualifying since 1999.
We have, already, won as many games this season as we did in the whole of last season.

We are on the up and with the right signings will be able to give anyone a game next year.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Off the Top wrote:There was a close-up of Ian on Sky when there was about 15 minutes to go and he looked so relaxed and laid back. He certainly didn't look like a guy who was "chomping at the bit" or even expecting to go onto the field to play.
that's because he enjoyed me singing to him 8)
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

It didn't go wrong--- we were just in a mean pool

Only one try Bonus point in the pool and the highest no of loser bonus points 6 and the team bottom of the pool had the highest points for such a place

The other pools did not have as many teams of a similar standard

Thus the use of a try bonus point rather than points difference favours teams in weaker pools

but then again we do have certain player(s) who go absent in defence great ball in hand but defend -- dig me a hole
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It went wrong because we yet again failed to score bonus points and till we learn that trick we will always struggle to get out of HEC pools, Northampton Saints, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ospreys, Leinster, Stade Francais Paris all won 4 matches same as us but bonus points put them in the quarter finals.
It is normal that teams that win 4 matches qualify if you win 5 you can normally get a home quarter final although Leinster have achieved it with 4 this year.
I think you have dug a hole boggy :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

It is not so much that it all went wrong it is just that our general expectations have risen so much this season.
But as for going wrong the away defeat at Edinburgh coming after the previous performance was a real kick in the teeth.

The result in Paris was also disappointing but understandable inthe circumstances. The game in Brussels was obviously a non starter and the ERC should have acted sooner to arrange an alternative venue rather than have the shambles that seem to have ensued.

However there is still the Magners League to aim for and considering the overall performances of the Magners teams at the weekend especially when comparedvto the "Super " league in England a not inconsideranble prize. With other major contenders distracted by the ^ nations and the HEC we n must be in with a chance.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

but then again we do have certain player(s) who go absent in defence great ball in hand but defend -- dig me a hole
:roll:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Its very hard to score 4 try bonus points in our home matches in a wet windy ravenhill in the winter matches though. Its a bit easier to do that in south france or north italy.
Why? Why not?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Ithryn wrote:Its very hard to score 4 try bonus points in our home matches in a wet windy ravenhill in the winter matches though. Its a bit easier to do that in south france or north italy.
Will this assist anyone? - includes penalty tries and is for the current season. The numbers refer to the number of times that 4 or more tries were scored.

Parc des Sports Aguilera - 3
Stadio Luigi Zaffanella - 3
Franklin's Gardens - 2
Parc y Scarlets - 2
RDS - 2
Stade Aimé Giral - 2
Stade Marcel Michelin - 2
The Twickenham Stoop - 2
Welford Road - 2
Liberty Stadium - 1
Madejski Stadium - 1
Rodney Parade - 1
Stade Ernest Wallon - 1
Stade Jean-Bouin - 1
Stade Municipal, Toulouse - 1
Stadio Comunale di Monigo - 1
Stadium Municipal, Brive - 1
Thomond Park - 1
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

mikerob wrote:I still think lack of experience at this level of rugby is a factor... it is this sort of experience that means Leinster or Munster can close out a winning position in the last quarter, or salvage a losing BP, or grab a try BP, because they've been there before and know they can do it. The return of Rory and an "enforcer" type of second row should provide lots of leadership in the pack, but there is still the lack of a "go to" player in the backs.
A few old heads would definitely help with getting what is needed out of a game. Munster and Leinster have that kind of experienced players in oodles, they can sense how a game is ebbing and flowing and know when to step it up. Hopefully we will know too in a few years time when experience isn't an issue. In the meantime, Rory and an oul han second row enforcer would go a long way to influence this pack. No disrespect to Brady or Andy K or the present second rowers meant.

As for where did it all go wrong? For me, 4 try Bonus Point versus Stade at Ravenhill was definitely possible, they were in disarray and shouldn't have scored at end. Also seeing the win disappear at Edinburgh meant we lost 4 points.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

stickinout wrote: Also seeing the win disappear at Edinburgh meant we lost 3 points.
Fixed that for ya

(of course if we'd won that match, we'd have thrown away the losing bonus point, and some around here wouldn't be happy about that) :stir:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
stickinout wrote: Also seeing the win disappear at Edinburgh meant we lost 3 points.
Fixed that for ya

(of course if we'd won that match, we'd have thrown away the losing bonus point, and some around here wouldn't be happy about that) :stir:
But we would have got a winning bonus point if we had got our finger out and scored 4 tries!

(Fixed that for ya!) :roll:
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Stade au Courant wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Fixed that for ya

But we would have got a winning bonus point if we had got our finger out and scored 4 tries!

(Fixed that for ya!) :roll:

Got there before me Stade au C :salut: