South African second-row Johann Muller in Ulster switch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

King Ding
Squire

Re: South African second-row Johann Muller in Ulster switch

Post by King Ding »

agree with RHH re. that although 290k is quite a lot of money, philips is a world class player and would definitely fit the bill of being a replacement that is better than boss, their styes are very similar, just philips is bigger.

500k sounds like a ridiculous amount for peinaar, that would make him one of the best payed players in the world, although when u here how much the likes of gasnier at stade are gettin (400k), it could be possible. form the post from the fru it seems Peinaar would be open to a move as if he is concentrating solely on scrum half then he wont be starting for springboks.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Philips is the business. So big and strong. He'd be in my top 3-4.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

We could sign Ruairi Cushion from Plymouth Albion. Ex Leinster A player. That would cost £10 and a lucky bag but he's a decent player according to friends of mine in Exeter. So we could have Willis, Cushion and Porter. Sounds like a firm of Victorian solicitors.
Last edited by jackthelad on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Thats crazy money. Has there been massive inflation in player prices? Haymans contract at the falcons for 350,000 a season was talked about as the biggest in rugby a few seasons ago, and he is a tighthead prop who tend to be the best paid players on the team. 500,000 for pienar who whilst very talented has the mental fragility of a precariously perched egg would be insane.

I wouldnt pay 300,000 for philips either, he takes too much on himself. 350,000 for mike blair is insane too. He is good but not that good, and he is not the automatic choice for scotland either anymore.
Why? Why not?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

...nor Edinburgh.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

i guess the 'going rates' are going sky high. I believe the french have a 4 mill salary cap per year so to compete with those guys we have to get the wallets out!!
Wack the season tickets up 20% and buy Pienar, McCaw and Carter :)
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

FRU salary cap is £7.1 million, GP is £4.0 million. Ours appears to be two sticks of yellow man and a bag of dulce, at least as far as Boss is concerned. If the management don't see how important he is to the team and the supporters they are in need of a wake up call. Of course it may be that Isaac wants away no matter what he has been offered. I would be more than disappointed if it was just a matter of a salary dispute that is forcing the change. £300,000 for Blair is a laugh. He is a decent player but no more than that.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

If Leicester are looking to sign Phillips, that would make Harry Ellis 3rd choice,
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

Ben Youngs is rumoured to be leaving for northampton so he could be second choice if he can overcome the injuries he has
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

A awful lot of people gettinh their knickers in a twist over one speculative report.

This could easily be total crap -wish I hadn't posted it know.

I suspect there is still one more significant NIQ player on the way - besides Mueller and Rush
earl the beaver
Novice

Post by earl the beaver »

500k pa is far too much for UR, as is 350k pa for a player who hasn't been in form for over a year.

We desparately need a quality 9, next season (assuming Muller is signed and it's not all rumour) we will have one of the strongest packs in the ML and one of the best scrummaging tight 5s in Europe, we will also have a threatening 3/4 line, iHumph is nowhere near consistent enough to take on all the decision making in the team, signing Stringer would be pointless, he would put so much pressure on iHumph as he offers no threat to keep the opposition backrow interested, Bossy's breaking ability gives iHumph that extra bit of time, also his passing hasn't been that great since he hasn't been getting regular starts, nowhere near as accurate as before.

Basically it seems UR have 2 targets in Pienaar and Blair, both of whom are asking too much money imo. The targetting of Rush seems another strange one, backrow is one of the positions we do not need to be wasting an NIQ spot, yes he will be an experienced head to give some nous to Henry and Diack and it's a worldcup year but with only 6 backrowers likely to go Henry might not be involved, I would rather we used an NIQ space at 15 than in the backrow where we have 6 players already (Ferris, Pollock, Faloon, Henry, Diack and Anderson) who have played ML this year, I would rather we brought in an IQ player than Rush even if they aren't as good because Rush would also be taking much needed gametime away from Henry and Diack.A few players I would suggest for the scrumhalf slot below:
Rory Kockott - Another Sharks scrumhalf, won't realistically have a chance for the Boks RWC squad and seems a good organiser from what I have seen of him, also a reliable goalkicker which is a bonus if iHumph had an off day, niggly little guy to winds up the opposition no end.
Byron Kelleher - Was on the bench for Toulouse last weekend seeing Michalak preferred ahead of him at 9 with Ellisalde at 10, a brilliant player imo, but I doubt we could ever get him, pipe dream from me.
Piri Weepu - A player not in the favour of his national coaches it seems, a quality player imo, would be a great signing
Neil De Kock - With Saracens having just signed Wrigglesworth he might feel his place is under pressure, probably won't though as he is a saffer and Saracens are trying to become the SA A side.

After 9 I would say we need a 15 next, another reason not to sign Rush, Bryn has been out all season and another year on we know he will be reliable under the highball but will he offer the cutting edge required from 15 these days in attack? Smith has impressed me in recent weeks but I don't think he is the answer at 15, maybe more suited to be a jinking winger, not a bad player to fall back on but I just don't think he commands the highball, he hasn't really been tested but maybe it's just his size making making me think that. I have no idea who would sign anyway. Felix Jones would have been a brilliant signing for us.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

I agree with that. A few months ago I would have said that we needed to sort out the fullback situation first and foremost. Shifty is possibly not staying, Cunningham is on the verge of retirement, and smith not ready to take over. With Boss gone the other 3 scrum halfs are not ready for heinken cup rugby.

If O'Connor continues to improve we have cover at outhalf. Wings we need to retain Danielli.
Why? Why not?
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

My reading here is that Matt McC could be about to call it a day which leaves us with only three experienced second rows

and while we have backrow players aplenty backrow players seem to be those who get injured most often and out the longest thus Rush would or could cover both second row and backrow

i doubt if money was the only reason Boss is heading to Leinster it could be just a cultural change and challenge
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bogboy wrote:
i doubt if money was the only reason Boss is heading to Leinster it could be just a cultural change and challenge
Tis a weird one though boggy as unless I am mistaken Isaac is not long after buying a new house here :?

Top post there earl the beaver :salut:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Hot in the Tropics
Novice

Post by Hot in the Tropics »

What is latest news on big Matt - he is like the forgotten soldier.
Keep it real; not inflamatory