Ravens squad v London Welsh

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Ravens squad v London Welsh

Post by cables »

Ulster Ravens Forwards:
Bryan Young,
B.J. Botha,
Justin Fitzpatrick,

Andi Kyriacou,
Nigel Brady,

Neil McComb,
Dan Tuohy,
Ryan Caldwell,
Ed O’Donoghue,

Willie Faloon,
David Pollock,
T.J. Anderson,
Ali Birch,
Chris Henry,
Robbie Diack.

Ulster Ravens Backs:
Isaac Boss,
Cillian Willis,
Paul Marshall,

Niall O’Connor,
Ian Humphreys,

Ian Whitten,
Michael Allen,
Darren Cave,
Tommy Seymour,
Mark McCrea,
Timoci Nagusa,
Craig Gilroy
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ravens squad v London Welsh

Post by cables »

Fairly easy to work out who the 5 front row players will be !!!!
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

That's virtually our full squad - minus our internationals and Jamie Smith.

Is Smith injured or just rested after playing a good game on Friday night?

They must be taking this one seriously!!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Is D Fitz injured or still tackle bag holding with the Ireland squad? Perhaps Smith is helping to hold them too?

Its a sad indictment of our lack of depth in the squad really that the full team and A team are more or less the same.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

thats a bit of a kick for young players coming through like Macklin and McAllister. whats the point in playing bj
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cheese wrote:thats a bit of a kick for young players coming through like Macklin and McAllister. whats the point in playing bj
The point would be we need match practice before the Llanelli match so why not play team that will probably face them.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Red Hand Hero wrote: Quite i'd say given how badly they performed on Friday night we need all the match practice we can get, not to mention requiring a BP win to ensure we get a home quarter final.
How are the B&I SFs decided? Is it a fixed draw (e.g. A v B; C v D), open draw of the 4 semi-finalists or do they rank the semi-finalists based upon group results with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3?
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

ColinM wrote: Its a sad indictment of our lack of depth in the squad really that the full team and A team are more or less the same.
It is the full team/squad minus unavailable internationals.
Therefore it is not an 'A' or Ravens squad (well it is in name but not in the experience of those involved).

Says nothing about our strength in depth. Says a lot about poor performance last Friday, the need for some regular game time and the importance the coaching staff are placing on the B+I Cup.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
Rooster wrote:
cheese wrote:thats a bit of a kick for young players coming through like Macklin and McAllister. whats the point in playing bj
The point would be we need match practice before the Llanelli match so why not play team that will probably face them.
Quite i'd say given how badly they performed on Friday night we need all the match practice we can get, not to mention requiring a BP win to ensure we get a home quarter final.
Sorry RHH BUT there are no QF's - pool winners get a bye into the SF's :oops:

Mikerob - I have never came across the answer as I recall.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

In November Bedford were just ahead (1 point) of London Welsh in the Championship Table. 10 games later and the relative positions of these teams have reversed with Welsh ahead by 3 points.

Looks like we were pretty lucky to get Home advantage against both of these teams.

We played Bedford and won 29 - 3 with the following team.

Clinton Schifcofske 15 S
Tommy Seymour 14 S
Jonny Shiels 13 S
Ian Whitten 12 S
Chris Cochrane 11 S
Niall O'Connor 10 S
Paul Marshall 9 S
Bryan Young 1 S
Andy Kyriacou 2 S
Declan Fitzpatrick 3 S
Dan Tuohy 4 S
Neil McComb 5 S
David Pollock 6 S
Willie Faloon 7 S
Tamaiti Horua 8 S
Nigel Brady 16 R2
Paddy McAllister 17 R1
Ed O'Donoghue 18 R6
Chris Henry 19 NU
Cillian Willis 20 R9
Ian Humphreys 21 R15
Jamie Smith 22 R11

London Welsh will come knowing what they have to achieve. They are well accoustomed to achieving try bonuses and as we are seeking a winning bonus point, I expect a high try count in the game.

A 5 point win for the Ravens would put us 2 points ahead of Welsh provided we can deprive them of both a losing bonus point AND a try bonus point.

In the final round, Welsh welcome Llanelli and Ulster Ravens are at home to Aberavon. Welsh beat Aberavon 36 - 7 after Aberavon had went to Llanelli and won 19 - 16. The Ravens came away from Llanelli with a 21 - 21 draw.

A stronger team than the above is more than likely required.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Cables you are better than a "had went" my friend
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

apparently the squad released left out a few additions and some players not named are playing.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I can't see the team spirit not affected by the news of recent weeks. Twill be interesting!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

i hear macklin got a knee injury and will be out for up to 13 weeks. wish him all th best in his recovery
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

Neil Doak has announced his Ravens side to face London Welsh, with the Whitten brothers, Ian and Alan set be the fourth pair of siblings to represent an Ulster side in the professional era.
James and Derek Topping, Simon and Rory Best, Jan and Bryn Cunningham all have worn the Ulster jersey at the same time, so Friday night will be a proud occasion for the Whitten clan.

Ian Whitten said, “It will be a great occasion for us, and I am certainly looking forward to the game. The London Welsh boys like to run the ball, as do we, I just hope the weather is kind to us. It would be great for Alan to get a run at some stage, I know he would really enjoy the experience.”

The Ravens will be captained by hooker Nigel Brady from the middle of a front row which includes Tom Court and Bryan Young. The second row partnership of Ryan Caldwell and Neil McComb continues, as does the backrow trio of Willie Faloon, T.J. Anderson and Robbie Diack.

Paul Marshall and Niall O’Connor are the half-backs, with young Belfast Harlequins centre Michael Allen in the midfield beside the experienced Ian Whitten. The back three have lots of pace with Timoci Nagusa and Tommy Seymour out wide, and Mark McCrea at fullback.

The replacements bench has lots of experience with the notable inclusion of Alan Whitten as replacement prop.

The skipper Nigel Brady said, “I am delighted to be captain on Friday night, it is a massive game for us. We have to win; it is as simple as that. We know the London Welsh boys are a quality side; they are unbeaten in the competition so Friday will be our biggest challenge yet. We need a big Ulster support to turn out and get behind the Ravens; we really need to make our home advantage count. Both teams like to run the ball and play a bit of rugby, so it should be a good show.”

Forwards: 1. Bryan Young, 2. Nigel Brady, 3. Tom Court, 4, Neil McComb, 5. Ryan Caldwell, 6 Thomas Anderson, 7. Willie Faloon, 8. Robbie Diack.

Backs: 9. Paul Marshall, 10. Niall O’Connor, 11. Timoci Nagusa, 12, Ian Whitten, 13. Michael Allen, 14 Tommy Seymour, 15. Mark McCrea.

Replacements: 16. Andi Kyriacou, 17. Alan Whitten, 18. Ed O’Donoghue, 19. David Pollock, 20. Cillian Willis, 21. Ian Humphreys, 22. Darren Cave.