Ulster v Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Scarlets

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

isleofwighter wrote:Poor defense, lethargic, woeful discipline, poor in the breakdown, and no obvious leadership....

Time to appoint a new captain?......Oh, and there's a slug living in my garden with more brain cells than Caldwell.. :cry:
I deny any responsibility for last night's debacle - rumours of replacing me are premature. :wink:

Time to write a big upside-down 5 on the back of Cardwell's knuckles so that when the ref shouts "white 5", he knows who he's talking to. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

Bart S wrote: he really needs to develop a half decent kicking game, as it crumbles under any kind of pressure.

If the scarlets had been quiet as it says in the wee wee small printon the back cover of the laws then Trimble's kick would have bounced nicely and rolled out into touch at their 5 metre line!!!!!!!! lol
:duck: :duck:
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

As usual there is a lot of overreaction to a woeful performance!

We already knew that Humphreys was not a great fly half when he was signed and two seasons of inadequate performances have not changed that view. IMO he at least showed some desire by making the last ditch tackle on their winger. NOC was no better when he came on, and until Ulster get a 10 who can actually think on his feet then it's more of the same on the menu.

Caldwell too for all his idiocy at least was trying to get involved in the game whereas Mr Ed's head already seems to be on the Enterprise. He was totally disinterested.

It is really poor coaching when the players think they know better than the referee. Yes they may have been within the letter of the law but that doesn't matter when the ref is adjudicating. Henry was really poor in this regard as it was up to him to get the team to listen to the ref instructions however wrong they might have been.
The future isn't what it used to be
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Fly Half wrote:As usual there is a lot of overreaction to a woeful performance!

We already knew that Humphreys was not a great fly half when he was signed and two seasons of inadequate performances have not changed that view. IMO he at least showed some desire by making the last ditch tackle on their winger. NOC was no better when he came on, and until Ulster get a 10 who can actually think on his feet then it's more of the same on the menu.

Caldwell too for all his idiocy at least was trying to get involved in the game whereas Mr Ed's head already seems to be on the Enterprise. He was totally disinterested.

It is really poor coaching when the players think they know better than the referee. Yes they may have been within the letter of the law but that doesn't matter when the ref is adjudicating. Henry was really poor in this regard as it was up to him to get the team to listen to the ref instructions however wrong they might have been.
Munster do it all the time though
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Fly half

The problem Friday night was everybody knew more than the referee

When you go down 7 points in 4 mins because the ref fails to blow a penalty find an opposition player still on the pitch when the ref should show a red and then go down another the 3 points because the ref blows for an imaginary offence that is real morale killer first 15-20 mins

Any team will play badly in those circumstances Caldwell's offence was out of sheer frustration in fact most of Ulsters play and offences after 50 mins where the result of the inability to understand and accept the standard of refereeing.

To win in Wales is hard enough but to play in Wales with Allen as a referee impossible.

Anybody who judges Ulster given the refs performance has never played with a bad ref
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

bogboy wrote:Fly half

The problem Friday night was everybody knew more than the referee

When you go down 7 points in 4 mins because the ref fails to blow a penalty find an opposition player still on the pitch when the ref should show a red and then go down another the 3 points because the ref blows for an imaginary offence that is real morale killer first 15-20 mins

Any team will play badly in those circumstances Caldwell's offence was out of sheer frustration in fact most of Ulsters play and offences after 50 mins where the result of the inability to understand and accept the standard of refereeing.

To win in Wales is hard enough but to play in Wales with Allen as a referee impossible.

Anybody who judges Ulster given the refs performance has never played with a bad ref

Bogboy - frustration with the ref may lead to indiscipline (a la Caldwell), but does not explain the failure to execute basic aspects of the game (catching, passing behind you, tackling) and a complete lack of passion from the off.

If the Ulster players or coaching staff have the same (it was all due to the ref) attitude, then I really do fear for the rest of the season....
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Fly Half wrote:Caldwell too for all his idiocy at least was trying to get involved in the game whereas Mr Ed's head already seems to be on the Enterprise. He was totally disinterested.
If infact ed is goin as has been widely reported, i cant really blame him for being a bit disinterested, yes he is a professional and all, but UR have treated him really badly re non-existant contract talks so the passion etc may be waining slightly. Although to be fair to him it was probably his first poor game this season.

As for the performnace it was truly awful, just totally devoid of ideas, the coaches cant take the blame for players missing tackles and catching high balls but they can be blamed for the seemingly complete lack of tactics and organisation.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Again it should be borne in mind both sides spilled high ball not just Ulster

But that is not the essence of the point I was making which was no side can play well with a bad ref

i was talking to day with a senior Uster aleca who informed me Ulster have never won playing with Allen as ref and on each occassion the penalty count has been high with a 2/3rds or greater number given against Ulster by which he assumed Allen and maybe some other refs as well have eyes only for white Jerseys and Ulster should change the basic colour of the strip.

Maybe Cables the the lover of reseach could indentify how many times Caldwell has been carded/the ref/ home or away/ win or lose and how many cards Allen has given per game refed and how many have been Ulster players.

It might give some food for thought??
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Questioning of the signing of Rush and Mueller above - totally disagree we need them.
If we had kept Boss and to a lesser extent Ed and signed a top 10 or 15 we would be looking good for next year.

As it is we will be short at 10 and 15 and have inadequate cover in the 2nd row.
bad player management
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Ardglass2 wrote:Questioning of the signing of Rush and Mueller above - totally disagree we need them.
If we had kept Boss and to a lesser extent Ed and signed a top 10 or 15 we would be looking good for next year.

As it is we will be short at 10 and 15 and have inadequate cover in the 2nd row.
bad player management
that pack on Friday is not good enough for the HEC next season. EOD is vastly overrated on this forum, solid player but is very average and was outclassed by the 2 Scarlets locks at the weekend, also we lack beef in our pack even when Ferris is there and thats what both Muller and Rush will bring
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Mueller and Rush are very good signings. Our pack should now be one of the best in the Magners. Huge questions with regards to 9, 10 and the back 3. Trimble and Danielli have had good seasons but Timmy is way off the standard.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Rush again was Cardiff Blues best player against Leinster today, he made the most carries, got over the gain line time and again, made the most yards, tackled anything that moved, secure under the high ball, constantly shouting at his fellow forwards to keep playing and never gave up even though he is leaving at the end of the season.... the commentators said that he will be sorely missed next season by the Blues. Anyone who thinks Rush is not a good signing haven't seen him play or Ulster play without Ferris .....I for one can't wait to see him with a :red: on his chest
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Big-al wrote:
Ardglass2 wrote:Questioning of the signing of Rush and Mueller above - totally disagree we need them.

bad player management
that pack on Friday is not good enough for the HEC next season. EOD is vastly overrated on this forum, solid player but is very average and was outclassed by the 2 Scarlets locks at the weekend, also we lack beef in our pack even when Ferris is there and thats what both Muller and Rush will bring
Have I missed an announcement that our squad has been finalised by next season? Until that comes I am going to remain hopeful that the powers that be recognise where we are weak and are in the process of doing something about it - premature to say bad player management at this stage
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Yoda wrote:
Big-al wrote:

bad player management
Have I missed an announcement that our squad has been finalised by next season? Until that comes I am going to remain hopeful that the powers that be recognise where we are weak and are in the process of doing something about it - premature to say bad player management at this stage
But there is a restriction on NIQ players. If our new SH is NIQ then there is no room for Shifty, Nagusa or any other new NIQ player. That leaves us with a number of problems 10,15, 2nd row cover, wing cover. If there are IQ players who can plug those holes great but that is 4 problems to address - big task
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

bogboy wrote:Again it should be borne in mind both sides spilled high ball not just Ulster

But that is not the essence of the point I was making which was no side can play well with a bad ref

i was talking to day with a senior Uster aleca who informed me Ulster have never won playing with Allen as ref and on each occassion the penalty count has been high with a 2/3rds or greater number given against Ulster by which he assumed Allen and maybe some other refs as well have eyes only for white Jerseys and Ulster should change the basic colour of the strip.

Maybe Cables the the lover of reseach could indentify how many times Caldwell has been carded/the ref/ home or away/ win or lose and how many cards Allen has given per game refed and how many have been Ulster players.

It might give some food for thought??
This is exactly my point. If Ulster already know that Allen rules a particular way, then why can they not adapt their game to suit in the same way that the opposition do? I don't believe that Allen is being biased but rather that is the way he refs the game irrespective of the colour of the shirt. When he says "roll away" the player should be flailing about even if he is in a strait jacket under a ruck. BTW I'm sure Ulster have won with Allen officiating at Ravenhill as he is a bit of a homer.
The future isn't what it used to be