will he won't he sign

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

notj
Steward

Re: will he won't he sign

Post by notj »

I don't know what you guys are on, Stringer would be a superb acquisition at this stage. I'd be delighted if that was true. It was also give us another NIQ slot to look for a 10 or a 15, although I think quality overseas signings are unlikely.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

cheese wrote:heard from a very reliable source that stringer has signed and will be unvieled on Thursday to the press

this had better be a wind-up. I thought Stringer was brutal against Connacht, for a guy of his experience, some of his kicking wasn't great and his pass was a bit wobbly at times. He looked a bit panicky, not big and physical enough for what we need.

I'm hoping this Pienaar rumour is a bit of smoke and mirrors by UR, and they are in advanced negotiations with someone of top quality and want to make sure the press hounds are barking up the wrong tree. Still if Pienaar comes it'd be great but Gysie is a great poker player if that's the case. If it's just Utv and williams catching up, the reporter and williams should be tied to a tree and lashed for rehashing the Pienaar rumour.

Has there been any further leaving rumours about Stringer on Mf.com, a few months ago he was looking to leave as he's firmly no.2 now at munster?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

notj wrote:I don't know what you guys are on, Stringer would be a superb acquisition at this stage. I'd be delighted if that was true. It was also give us another NIQ slot to look for a 10 or a 15, although I think quality overseas signings are unlikely.

Why would a quality overseas signing be unlikely?

I don't think Stringer is suited to the direction rugby is moving. Fewer players are committed to rucks and mauls, teams fan out, defences are well organised. His big pass is suited to O'gara's old way of playing, i.e. stand deep and boot the hole out of the ball but you can't do that anymore and win matches. Stringer doesn't have the bulk, skill or speed to regularly take breaks through gaps without getting mullered, and creating a turnover. He might get away with it once in a game now but that's it. I wouldn't like to see him play on a dirty january friday evening at Ravenhill with the rain coming at them horizontally and him trying to take the ball up for his forwards. Would lose it every time.

The only advantage would be he's NIQ, but it would be another example of UR settling for second best and we will continue along the slippery slope to mediocrity.
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

Stringer at 9 and Humphries at 10, now theres a double channel attackers would really want to avoid :banghead:
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
UlsterManiac
Novice

Post by UlsterManiac »

notj wrote:I don't know what you guys are on, Stringer would be a superb acquisition at this stage. I'd be delighted if that was true. It was also give us another NIQ slot to look for a 10 or a 15, although I think quality overseas signings are unlikely.
Agree absolutely.... we're going to be paying a kings ransom for a scrum half now...a quality 10 and/or 15 is required, stringer would do nicely for a season until world cup is over and we can get a top class 9
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I'd prefer to keep Isaac Boss, but assuming that there's no chance of that Stringer would be better than our current options. He has that bit of experience which we need. There are a lot of downsides to his game but he'd still be an improvement on Marshall/Willis.

The reason I think we are unlikely to make a really good overseas signing is summed up by Gysie Pienaar; "Maybe after the World Cup he’d look at going overseas, but not now."

I mean we might be able to get a solid Super 14 halfback in like Rory Kockott or Heini Adams, but no-one with the wow factor Pienaar has (assuming he doesn't come).
Meteor
Novice

Post by Meteor »

Stringer in 90+ caps for Ireland and two times HEC winner and would be a great addition in terms of experience cant see him coming North though maybe leinster his speed from the base would suit there game
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Stringer may be a non-breaker, but he throws himself at charging backrowers with no regard for his personal safety and makes more tap tackles than any player I know of.
If we have the predicted super jumbo pack next season, Willis and Stringer could just do a job for us.

I'd be happy enough with 15 if Bryn has another season in the tank with Smith growing into the spot.
10 is where we need to spend the dosh.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Meteor wrote:Stringer in 90+ caps for Ireland and two times HEC winner and would be a great addition in terms of experience cant see him coming North though maybe leinster his speed from the base would suit there game
With all due respect :scratch:
Meteor
Novice

Post by Meteor »

Do Ulster may not have the money to sign southern hemisphere SH and will the IRFU allow it? and how attractive are we to somebody of that ilk ?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

notj wrote:I'd prefer to keep Isaac Boss, but assuming that there's no chance of that Stringer would be better than our current options. He has that bit of experience which we need. There are a lot of downsides to his game but he'd still be an improvement on Marshall/Willis.

The reason I think we are unlikely to make a really good overseas signing is summed up by Gysie Pienaar; "Maybe after the World Cup he’d look at going overseas, but not now."

I mean we might be able to get a solid Super 14 halfback in like Rory Kockott or Heini Adams, but no-one with the wow factor Pienaar has (assuming he doesn't come).

Like you i'd rather see IB stay but I see your point now, particularly the World Cup one as presumably there will be more players williing to head north for the cash after it finishes.

Have to say, I'd be willing to see Stringer come if we got a top notch 10 for next season but wouldn't the same argument still be there? Few will come before the World Cup. Stringer and iHumph combo strikes fear in my heart, then i thought of Stringer and NOC combo............

I think i'd settle for Kockott right now and let this whole rumour mill be done with.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Meteor wrote:Do Ulster may not have the money to sign southern hemisphere SH and will the IRFU allow it? and how attractive are we to somebody of that ilk ?
All depends on the number of $$$$$$$ on the contract.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Snipe Watson wrote:Stringer may be a non-breaker, but he throws himself at charging backrowers with no regard for his personal safety and makes more tap tackles than any player I know of.
If we have the predicted super jumbo pack next season, Willis and Stringer could just do a job for us.

I'd be happy enough with 15 if Bryn has another season in the tank with Smith growing into the spot.
10 is where we need to spend the dosh.
Yep, Stringer has a heart of a lion but the body of a jockey and if we have a big pack next year he might get a bit of protection but I think his game is gradually deteriorating with his age and the way the game is going, it doesn't suit him. It suits SH more like Phillips or TOL (even with his dodgey pass). I've no doubt Strings and Willis could do a job for us next year but i don't think their appointments as first and second choice SH would help us with what i hope would be our number one goal: qualifying for HC quarters.

Can't see Smith making a career at 15, he's a good footballer but too small. Maybe on the wing?
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

For clarity, is I.B. doing the "snowbird" not a done deal?

Also my vote woulf be for a a bit of class (see consistent) at 10.
That said however has anyone a definitive shortlist
of who may / may not be available and meets our
requirement of "class" or something closely akin to it?
Mac.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Need to look at no. of NIQ places available and budget. If Stringer signing would allow us to get a quality NIQ 10 or 15, then I'd definitely take him. He's got bags of experience and could certainly help our inexperienced 9's. I think Willis is decent but he's clearly not flavour of the month with management and whilst Marshall had a great game on friday night I have yet to be convinced.

Strings has not played much recently so no woder he was a bit rusty yesterday. He'll still have RWC ambitions and definitely think he could still do a job for us. He would also improve the current squad without taking up a NIQ place which is also clearly very important.