will he won't he sign

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Meteor
Novice

Re: will he won't he sign

Post by Meteor »

Bart S wrote:Need to look at no. of NIQ places available and budget. If Stringer signing would allow us to get a quality NIQ 10 or 15, then I'd definitely take him. He's got bags of experience and could certainly help our inexperienced 9's. I think Willis is decent but he's clearly not flavour of the month with management and whilst Marshall had a great game on friday night I have yet to be convinced.

Strings has not played much recently so no woder he was a bit rusty yesterday. He'll still have RWC ambitions and definitely think he could still do a job for us. He would also improve the current squad without taking up a NIQ place which is also clearly very important.
Agreed Stringer would be a fine acquisition hopefully it will happen, personally cant see it happening
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Mac wrote:For clarity, is I.B. doing the "snowbird" not a done deal?

Also my vote woulf be for a a bit of class (see consistent) at 10.
That said however has anyone a definitive shortlist
of who may / may not be available and meets our
requirement of "class" or something closely akin to it?
Mac.

Yes Mac it's reported as a done deal. Doesn't stop me from stating what i'd like to see even though it'll never happen....
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

In yesterday's Belfast Telegraph it said Ulster were in negotiations with three South African scrum-halves

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 72009.html
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

not sure we need 3 of 'em...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

They better hope one of them signs this week then.

We need one who is defensively sound, not a risk taker, as that would work well in combination with baby hump if we are keeping him next season. Krocket and pienar have both got great kicking games from hand and from the tee which would be a great asset and allow hump to concentrate on running the back line. Although to be fair paddy does most of that too.
Why? Why not?
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

As a quick thought, maybe the 3 talked about are Ruan Pienaar, Rory Kockett and Heini Adams. All 3 have been rumoured in the past in regards Ulster
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Ithryn wrote:They better hope one of them signs this week then.
I rather hope that one doesn't sign this week.

The frustrated, whining, bleating, typical UAFC, "Ulster Rugby don't tell me anything they've gone to the dogs" after Humphreys announces that they've got a scrum-half ready to sign but they can't tell you who it is yet at the "Grill DH before you buy your season ticket special event" would be more than funny.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Stringer has always been crap, now he's crap and old, and like stickinout says, the game is has been leaving his type of scrum-half behind for the last decade.

Stringer for Boss - what a shocking trade... and would kind of epitomise the kind of crass mismanagament we have been enduring at this club for the last number of years.

hopefully it's just BS anyway
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Did someone not claim in another thread over the past week or so that Ulster had in fact signed players for 9, 10 and 15 or was this my imagination?

Darkside whilst i'd agree that Stringer's 'style' of play is limited he'd surely be better than nothing which is potentially the alternative. He could act as a mentor to the likes of Porter who is meant to have a bright future if some posters are to be believed and Willis rarely did anything wrong in my view either when he got a chance last season.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

darkside lightside wrote:Stringer has always been crap, now he's crap and old, and like stickinout says, the game is has been leaving his type of scrum-half behind for the last decade.

Stringer for Boss - what a shocking trade... and would kind of epitomise the kind of crass mismanagament we have been enduring at this club for the last number of years.

Given where we are right now (ie Boss "allegedly" certain to leave) Stringer IMHO represents a much better bet for next season than the alternatives . He's also Irish which allows for another NIQ signing in a key position.

BTW - don't agree that he has always been crap. Limited player yes, but 90 odd caps during a successful period for Ireland and 2 H Cups ain't a bad CV. Would have been delighted to have had him at Ulster for a number of years.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Another thing about Stringer is he's always lifted his game come the big occassion.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

notj wrote:Another thing about Stringer is he's always lifted his game come the big occassion.
Stringer is on the wane, he was never a brilliant scrum half in the 1st place, organised a brilliant Munster pack well but apart from thatdidn't do much himself apart from pass the ball to ROG
Muddy Bless
Initiate

Post by Muddy Bless »

I dont reckon Stringer would class playing at ravers as a "big occasion".......

I am nearly at the point of not classing watching at ravers as a big occasion....
Meteor
Novice

Post by Meteor »

darkside lightside wrote:Stringer has always been crap, now he's crap and old, and like stickinout says, the game is has been leaving his type of scrum-half behind for the last decade.

I think if the record says anything it states 90+ caps for mr stringer 2 HEC medals we have no player of that quality cant understand all teh negativity that is allot of experience cant see him coming North though
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Still think it will be Rory Kockott.