Ulster vs. Glasgow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Ulster vs. Glasgow

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Team anouncement delayed, travel chaos, volcanic erruption....
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster (Fri)
MAGNERS LEAGUE
Venue: Firhill Stadium Date: Friday, 16 April Kick-off: 1905 BST Coverage: Live on BBC Radio Scotland 810MW and BBC Radio Ulster 1341MW & online, score updates on BBC Sport website

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glasgow flanker John Barclay has recovered from a stomach bug in time to face Ulster in Friday's Magners League match at Firhill.

Mark McMillan continues at scrum-half, with captain Chris Cusiter hoping to shake off a calf injury for a place among the substitutes.

Ulster will be without injured Rory Best (calf) and Paddy Wallace (thigh).

The Ireland internationals sustained the injuries in Tuesday's defeat by the Ospreys at Ravenhill.

There are also reports that Stephen Ferris is nursing a knock ahead of Friday's game although he has been named in the Ulster squad.

A long Ulster injury list already includes Timoci Nagusa, Justin Fitzpatrick, Matt McCullough, Cillian Willis, Adam Macklin, Bryn Cunningham and Mark McCrea.

Victory would lift Glasgow back into a play-off place but Ulster's recent poor recent run has left them in danger of failing to secure a Heineken Cup spot for next season.

Connacht could pip Ulster for Ireland's third spot in the Heineken Cup as Michael Bradley's side are only four points behind the northern Irish province in the current Magners table.

Ulster would be guaranteed a place in Europe's premier competition next season if either Leinster or Munster win this year's competition or if Connacht manage to triumph in the Amlin Cup.

However, if neither of those two things happen, the third and final Irish spot in the Heineken Cup would go to the better finisher in this season's Magners League.

Despite Ulster's current poor run, Glasgow head coach Sean Lineen is expecting a tough test on Friday night.

"Every game is a knockout game, so this Friday is massive for us," said Lineen.

"Ulster have won on their last three visits to Firhill and they always get a good following here in Glasgow.

"But our support has been fantastic all season and I've no doubt that the Glasgow fans will make the most noise and really get behind the players."

Barclay, a stand-out for Scotland during the Six Nations, was forced to withdraw from the starting XV during the warm-up prior to the Warriors' 27-19 victory over the Dragons two weeks ago.

And Lineen is delighted to have his first-choice openside back available again.

"John gave his absolute all against Munster, where he was absolutely outstanding," said Lineen.

"I haven't seen a performance like that from a seven in a long time.

"However, we need the back-row to step up as a group and the front five have a huge job to do in order to give us the platform for success."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glasgow Warriors: B Stortoni, C Shaw, M Evans, G Morrison, DTH van der Merwe, D Parks, M McMillan, K Tkachuk, F Thomson, M Low, T Barker, A Kellock, K Brown, J Barclay, J Beattie.
Replacements: tbc

Ulster squad: D Fitzpatrick, B Young, BJ Botha, N Brady, A Kyriacou, E O'Donoghue, D Tuohy, R Caldwell, C Henry, T Court, S Ferris, R Diack, TJ Anderson, D Pollock, J Smith, P Marshall, S Danielli, D Cave, I Whitten, N Spence, I Humphreys, N O'Connor, I Boss, W Faloon, A Trimble, J Shiels, T Seymour

Ulster rugby team hit by flight cancellation

Ulster's rugby players have had to change their travel plans for Friday's Magners League match in Glasgow after their flight was cancelled.

The team's flight was one of the many grounded on Thursday because of the ash from Iceland's volcanic eruption.

Brian McLaughlin's men now plan to travel to Scotland by ferry.

The province are hoping to end a dismal run of four league defeats in a row as they need to stay ahead of Connacht to qualify for the Heineken Cup.

McLaughlin had been due to name his starting line-up at lunchtime on Thursday but the announcement has been delayed.

There will be live commentary on Friday's match at Firhill on BBC Radio Ulster medium wave. The kick-off is at 1905 BST.

The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster vs. Glasgow

Post by BR »

Ulster will be without injured Rory Best (calf) and Paddy Wallace (thigh)...

...reports that Stephen Ferris is nursing a knock ...

A long Ulster injury list already includes Timoci Nagusa, Justin Fitzpatrick, Matt McCullough, Cillian Willis, Adam Macklin, Bryn Cunningham and Mark McCrea.

Brian McLaughlin's men now plan to travel to Scotland by ferry.
Are we too honest? The O's lawyers would have called the game off citing travel problems.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Ulster Head Coach Brian McLaughlin has named his first XV, plus replacements, ahead of Friday's Magners League match, against Glasgow Warriors, at Firhill Stadium, kick off 7.05pm.
Commenting on the Magners League clash, Ulster Coach Brian McLaughlin said: “We had a good review of Tuesday night’s game against the Ospreys, and we got to look at our defence, which is still suffering from inconsistencies.
For Andrew Trimble's try our defence was magnificent, and for Danielli's try, well that also came from a defensive turnover, so we know the key is to be more consistent.
Our set piece on Tuesday night was a lot more solid, we just have to stop giving away soft tries. Shane Williams' try was a prime example and we gifted James Hook two tries under the posts, so we must improve in this aspect of our play.

"Glasgow are a quality side and we're expecting a very tough game. It's been a quick turnaround for us from the Ospreys. Physically we're in good shape, so now the challenge is to get the players mentally focused for this very important game"

Ulster Rugby Team
(15-9) Simon Danielli, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Nevin Spence, Ian Humphreys, Paul Marshall

(1-8) Tom Court, Andi Kyriacou, Declan Fitzpatrick, Ed O’Donoghue, Ryan Caldwell, Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry (Capt), Robbie Diack

Ulster Rugby Replacements
(16-22) Nigel Brady, BJ Botha, Dan Tuohy, David Pollock, Isaac Boss, Niall O’Connor, Jamie Smith
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Team up!
Ulster Team Named for Glasgow
15 April 2010, 1:37 pm
By Christine McNally
Ulster Head Coach Brian McLaughlin has named his first XV, plus replacements, ahead of Friday's Magners League match, against Glasgow Warriors, at Firhill Stadium, kick off 7.05pm.

Commenting on the Magners League clash, Ulster Coach Brian McLaughlin said: “We had a good review of Tuesday night’s game against the Ospreys, and we got to look at our defence, which is still suffering from inconsistencies.
For Andrew Trimble's try our defence was magnificent, and for Danielli's try, well that also came from a defensive turnover, so we know the key is to be more consistent.

Our set piece on Tuesday night was a lot more solid, we just have to stop giving away soft tries. Shane Williams' try was a prime example and we gifted James Hook two tries under the posts, so we must improve in this aspect of our play.

"Glasgow are a quality side and we're expecting a very tough game. It's been a quick turnaround for us from the Ospreys. Physically we're in good shape, so now the challenge is to get the players mentally focused for this very important game"

Ulster Rugby Team
(15-9) Simon Danielli, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Nevin Spence, Ian Humphreys, Paul Marshall

(1-8) Tom Court, Andi Kyriacou, Declan Fitzpatrick, Ed O’Donoghue, Ryan Caldwell, Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry (Capt), Robbie Diack

Ulster Rugby Replacements
(16-22) Nigel Brady, BJ Botha, Dan Tuohy, David Pollock, Isaac Boss, Niall O’Connor, Jamie Smith
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

Team looks good. McLaughlin has made a raft of changes after Tuesday night's disaster and rightly so.

Our half backs were pathetic so he has changed it around. Boss is leaving so worthwile giving Marshall some game time. Great to see Humph brought back in as NOC is not the answer. Looking forward to seeing Spence get on the ball in space as have heard good things from the U20s. Dizzy always gets us over the gainline and Danielle look decent at full back last time out - backline will hopefully be much improved.

Up front Rory is injured and I assume BJ needs a bit of a rest, so changes to the front row were required. Tuohy didnt impress me at all on Tuesday so rightly benched. I thought Diack was outstanding on Tuesday (Ulster MOM IMO) and playing 3 big men in the back row at the expense of Pollock worked well.

Would have like to see Falloon brought onto the bench ahead of Pollock.

Looks like a good selection by McLaughlin as changes were required and he is making use our the (limited) squad as two games in close proximity will be v draining on the players.

A losers bonus point is essential.
:red: SUFTUM :red:
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

"Boss is leaving so worthwile giving Marshall some game time"

So - reportedly - is Marshall so that mekes no difference.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

thewaterboy, I would have thought a win is essential!
Mum 8)
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

delighted to see nevin spence getting a game
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I remember the same time last year, Ulster were in a similar rut and we scraped an away win at Firhill... that would do nicely. I wouldn't write us off from kick off, I don't think we're favourites, but surely we're due a bit of luck? That would be swell 8)
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

thewaterboy wrote:Team looks good. McLaughlin has made a raft of changes after Tuesday night's disaster and rightly so.

Our half backs were pathetic so he has changed it around. Boss is leaving so worthwile giving Marshall some game time - 5. Great to see Humph brought back in as NOC is not the answer. Looking forward to seeing Spence get on the ball in space as have heard good things from the U20s. Dizzy always gets us over the gainline and Danielle look decent at full back last time out - 4 - backline will hopefully be much improved.

Up front Rory is injured and I assume BJ needs a bit of a rest, so changes to the front row were required. Tuohy didnt impress me at all on Tuesday so rightly benched - 3. I thought Diack was outstanding on Tuesday (Ulster MOM IMO) and playing 3 big men in the back row at the expense of Pollock worked well.

Would have like to see Falloon brought onto the bench ahead of Pollock - 2 .

Looks like a good selection by McLaughlin as changes were required and he is making use our the (limited) squad as two games in close proximity will be v draining on the players.

A losers bonus point is essential - 1.
mid ulster maestro wrote:thewaterboy, I would have thought a win is essential!
Mum 8)

Where to start.....start at the end and work back
1 - Agree with mum, a WIN never mind bonus point is essential
2 - Would agree here
3 - So instead we are going to bring on someone who must be one of the biggest "giving away penalty" machines in the side at the moment (cables will probably be able to slap me or not on that one).
4 - Youre having a larrff, what is he doing here when there is a full back on the bench! play him in the postion he has been prolific in all season. If Jamie needs a rest make the changes when we are 20 points clear not when we need 20 to draw!
5 - What a load of tosh, just because he is leaving your going to make him sit on the bench, give him game time in the A's if thats what he needs and lets start with the strongest team we can possibly field, not with wee boys who need game time.

Please URFC prove me wrong :red: , but I just dont get it.. :scratch:
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
tomodaman_2
Novice

Post by tomodaman_2 »

UlsterJock wrote: Where to start.....start at the end and work back
1 - Agree with mum, a WIN never mind bonus point is essential
2 - Would agree here
3 - So instead we are going to bring on someone who must be one of the biggest "giving away penalty" machines in the side at the moment (cables will probably be able to slap me or not on that one).
4 - Youre having a larrff, what is he doing here when there is a full back on the bench! play him in the postion he has been prolific in all season. If Jamie needs a rest make the changes when we are 20 points clear not when we need 20 to draw!
5 - What a load of tosh, just because he is leaving your going to make him sit on the bench, give him game time in the A's if thats what he needs and lets start with the strongest team we can possibly field, not with wee boys who need game time.

Please URFC prove me wrong :red: , but I just dont get it.. :scratch:
1 - Agree, need a win, but by the same token, if we miss out on another losing bonus point through another "Rory Best V Tommy Bowe footrace" moment, It'd be absolutely demoralising for the guys.
2 - Definitely.
3 - Cardwell had a great game against the Blues, which he complemented by remaining on the pitch until he was substituted. No reason why he won't do the same this week.
4 - Tend to agree here a bit. Danielli wasn't awful at fullback, but it does make you wonder why he's there is JS is fit. However, it is great to see Spence getting a start. He's a guy we need to hold onto. If he can avoid injury over the next few years, he will undoubtedly develop into a super player.
5 - If Marshall can hold his own for 60 minutes, IB coming off the bench against a tired defence in the last 20 could be that little bit extra we need to win this game. We'll have to wait and see.

Overall, I''m happy with the team selection. Courts getting a start (albeit only to give BJ a rest) which I like. Unsure about Declan... hopefully BJ can come on for him, rather than Court. Cardwell... we'll see. Hope he continues his cardless run. Back row looked superb on Tuesday night (especially Robbie) so glad it's unchanged. Good to see IH back on, NOC's inability to think was starting to get to me. Look forward to seeing Spence in space (and scoring plenty of tries :cheers: ). Hoping that Cave and Trimble carry on their form, and that Danielli has been practising positioning for that little dink over the top that worked painfully well on two occasions for the Hook. Bench looks good. BJ and Isaac could do wonders coming off the bench against a tired front-row/defence and Jamie (if fit) will hopefully get a chance to try the same.

Big pack, attacking backs. Here's hoping we choose to counter-attack and show what we can do. It worked against the Os, yet we stopped doing it. :scratch:

Here's to a bonus point win :red:
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

We're donald ducked now ........... a certain Mr Peter Allan of the SRU is refereeing tonights game :roll: :twisted:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

ding dong2u wrote:We're donald ducked now ........... a certain Mr Peter Allan of the SRU is refereeing tonights game :roll: :twisted:
Ding - The Rosie got back to me. The game will be on in the lounge.
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

ding dong2u wrote:We're donald ducked now ........... a certain Mr Peter Allan of the SRU is refereeing tonights game :roll: :twisted:

:o :( :evil: :drunken: Pub tonight then. Just forget about the game.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

Ding - The Rosie got back to me. The game will be on in the lounge.

And for those of you in Larne it will be on in the public bar in The Eagle.
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com