Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Post by cables »

Pienaar Joins Ulster
27 May 2010, 2:30 pm
By Christine McNally

Following a report in South African Newspaper, The Sunday Tribune, in which Springbok Coach Peter de Villiers confirmed Ruan Pienaar’s move to Northern Ireland, Ulster are delighted to announce that Ruan will join Ulster Rugby on a two year contract. Negotiations for his release are still ongoing with his Province, The Sharks.

Having made his Super 14 debut with The Sharks in 2005, Ruan went on to make his first appearance for the Springboks in 2006, against New Zealand. Ruan was a member of the victorious 2007 Rugby World Cup squad, and to date has won 36 Springbok caps and has scored 85 Test points.

Speaking about Ulster Rugby’s decision to recruit the World Cup winning Springbok, Ulster Rugby Operations Director David Humphreys remarked: “Bringing Ruan to Ulster is a massive statement of our ambition to be competing with the top teams in the Magners League and ERC. He is one of the most naturally gifted players in world rugby and having had huge experience at international level with the Springboks, we believe Ruan will help Ulster achieve success over the next couple of seasons.”

Ruan will be joining former Springbok and Sharks players, BJ Botha and Johann Muller, in the Ulster squad next season.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Re: Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Post by theCloudSpotter »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Absolutely brilliant - a top notch signing.

Well done David Humphreys.
Billyboy
Novice

Post by Billyboy »

Well done Humph - good news at last
Always ate your spuds....
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Not sure Ulster have ever made a signing that I've been more singularly excited about :cheers:
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

When all the crap was being talked a few weeks ago about our squad for next year and the SH position in particular there were many people giving off stink about the mgt team and the world in general - I said I would reserve judgement until an announcement was made - well now it has - absolutely brilliant - well done Humph and all involved :cheers:

There are a number of posters who need to get on here and eat some humble pie while offering apologies at the same time

:D
Last edited by Yoda on Thu May 27, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Just had a txt message from Ulster rugby:

Ruan Pienaar joins Ulster Rugby on a two year deal. Season tickets still available - call 90493222

Not sure if this is good marketing or just sounding desperate!

Good news about the signing though :cheers:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
maximus
Novice

Post by maximus »

A marked contrast with the tone of posts on the 'Rush' thread...
What we do in life, echoes in Eternity.
tomodaman_2
Novice

Post by tomodaman_2 »

maximus wrote:

A marked contrast with the tone of posts on the 'Rush' thread...
This is terrific news!

Hate to be cynical, but is this the good news that Ulster were waiting for before making a statement about XR?

Still- Ruan > Xavier, without a doubt!

:cheers:
weenotion
Novice

Post by weenotion »

Fab signing. Brillant news all round!
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Now would be a good time for the branch to end the speculation surrounding the Rush situation. He and Pienaar together would be great. Pienaar and Diack / Henry would be decent enough. It's what he might bring / have brought to the squad in terms of leadership that was the interesting part of Rush's signing for me.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

My cup runneth over or will do after what passes for work!!!! Best news for...........well since January 1999 to be accurate :red: :red: :red: Think it is time to all on this forum to finally acknowledge that Dr Davy :salut: has produced 3 magnificent signings (albeit X Rush is looking like a backsliding sheep worrier.)

To get a player of this quality at this stage of his career is superb, to be honest I hadn't expected us to get anything other than those looking for a rugby pension.

So we now have the much needed 9,10 & 15 even if he can't do all 3 in every game. Lets hope a fairly early release can be negotiated with the Sharks and Ruan stays injury free in the meantime.

So'oialio & or David Smith from the Canes could be cherry on the icing on top of our cake. Then look forward to the new season and a good shoeing for the Cardiff no.8. :twisted:

Off to the back garden to re-release a few of those roars I had to recapture when the Rush business hit the fan. :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Maybe Rush will now realize we are a club worth joining :roll: :scratch:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Neil F wrote:Not sure Ulster have ever made a signing that I've been more singularly excited about :cheers:
We've had one or two on their own and at later stages in their careers, but next year we'll be taking to the field with THREE world cup winners, ALL in their prime :cheers:
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

Off the Top wrote:
He'll be a great fella now. :duck: :duck: :duck:

A great signing for Ulster, now to get the Rush business sorted out!!! :red: :red:
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!