Ruan Pienaar - GPS Tracking

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Alfie
Novice

Ruan Pienaar - GPS Tracking

Post by Alfie »

Hi - has anyone heard that RP is wearing a GPS tracking device each time he plays for Ulster...BUT here is where it gets interesting.....its part of the deal with SA Rugby authorities (and there is a fee paid by them to Ruan Piennar aparently)...and its the South Africians that get the data sent to them in order to monitor the speed and conditioning of the Northern hempisphere game......the latest info I heard is that the Magners League games are c15-17% slower/less pitch coverage than Super 14 games......anyone got any more info on this??
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ruan Pienaar - GPS Tracking

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

All Ulster players use it in training and quite often in matches.

It is used by several top teams ........... and Ulster :wink:

PS: I don't believe any statement which includes the word "apparently"
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ulster already has this kit and has been using for a couple of seasons I think ?
Last reports I heard was last year when Willie F was most mobile in matches, also that ihumph heart rate went through roof when taking kicks but not during practice, all sorts of stuff can be recorded and examined performance wise.
Did URSC help with purchase ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Alfie
Novice

Post by Alfie »

I know that most of the top teams use the GPS...but the data is used by the coaches of the team...not by another rugby union!!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Alfie wrote:I know that most of the top teams use the GPS...but the data is used by the coaches of the team...not by another rugby union!!!
Might surprise you what happens.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Ulster already has this kit and has been using for a couple of seasons I think ? last season and thisLast reports I heard was last year when Willie F was most mobile in matches, also that ihumph heart rate went through roof when taking kicks but not during practice,true all sorts of stuff can be recorded and examined performance wise. correct, and in real time too, so can be used to help decide when to make substitutions etc, but not sure if it is used that wayDid URSC help with purchase ?
System is hired, but URSC helped with that last season during the transition between one CEO and the other while budget was frozen. To buy the system would probably be extortionate and would become dated, but renting it ensures that software upgrades and backup are available - the down side is that we constantly have to pay the bills to keep the benefits.

Coming back to the original post, I'm not sure if comparisons between N & S hemispheres have been made, but even if they have and the figure quoted is true, that can probably be explained at least in part by conditions. Even BJ last week said that SH rugby appeared to be quicker, but when SH teams came north, they would be slowed by heavier pitches etc.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Other interesting measurements

Trimble fastest recovery time in Irish squad after hard sprints - one of the fastest sprinters too! Incredibly fit.

1F quickest sprinter among the Irish forwards and faster than many backs

APPARENTLY!
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Alfie wrote:and its the South Africians that get the data sent to them in order to monitor the speed and conditioning of the Northern hempisphere game......the latest info I heard is that the Magners League games are c15-17% slower/less pitch coverage than Super 14 games......anyone got any more info on this??
I would say they are more interested in data about Pienaar than what is happening in Magners league, 15% slower is pretty acceptable when you count in the factor of weather, soaking pitch and rain like last match would slow any athlete by at least that compared to nice sunny day and dry firm pitch.
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:
Alfie wrote:15% slower is pretty acceptable when you count in the factor of weather, soaking pitch and rain like last match would slow any athlete by at least that compared to nice sunny day and dry firm pitch.
And any Ulster rugby players too :twisted: :duck:
I'm not arguing -
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Rumor has it NOC had his GPS stolen by a Black Cab driver in West Belfast ... he was clocked at staggering 4 mph on Friday night and missed his 4 out of his 5 pickups by 3 streets!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Cap'n Grumpy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Apparently the strongest too according to POC!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by Cap'n Grumpy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Apparently the strongest too according to POC!
Apparently so :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GPS kit getting cheaper and improving all the time so hiring probably best option as you say Grumps to get latest software which is most expensive part of system anyway.
Even most phones now have gps in them and can work out average speed, distance travelled etc. Practically every refridgerated lorry in Europe has trackers fitted which show temperature, position, speed fuel left in truck and so the list goes on and it also is cheap but software expensive part same in agriculture a lot of equipment gps enabled and again software the major cost to the extent now hardware fitted as standard in some machines but then you can buy licence for operating if you want later.
Actual gps chip with receiver and transmitter can cost below £10 now and are around the size of a sim card.
Rory Best
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Tonights Rugby Club on Sky had a feature on England using this system and trying to make out that they were the first in the Northern Hemisphere to suss out the benefits of it. :roll:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Could well be true, but it's strange then that England seem to have lost their way a bit in recent years
I'm not arguing -