Top 4 Predictions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Top 4 Predictions

Post by backawaygoonahead »

lovesthehardground wrote: Worked it out and then realised that it spelt LOMU. Spooky or what??
WHAT

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Big-al wrote:Glasgow are no mugs. I was looking at the Scottish team yesterday

16. Reserve Hooker was from Glasgow
3. Glasgow
4. Glasgow
5. Glasgow
7. Glasgow
8.Glasgow
10.Glasgow
11.Glasgow

They have Morrison and Cursitter (Scotlands 1st choice 12 and 9 out injured as well).

That shows how strong the Glasgow team will be
Check out the league table Big-al. I think it is winnable, not a certainty by any means.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

After the 2006-07 season following the demise of the Borders, the League settled into a pattern where each season resulted in a home/away win ratio close to 2:1.

This season the League welcomed two Italian teams of, I suggest, differing strengths. Currently the home/away win ratio is 63:26 - higher (2.43:1) than the 'norm' in recent seasons.

Like The Borders, Aironi 'distort' the true picture however, I suggest.

Aironi have played 7 Home games and 8 Away games and have lost all of these. If all games involving Aironi are discounted from the above, the ratio becomes 2.9:1.

Games (discounting Aironi games) have moved massively in the direction of Home wins this season.

Glasgow 23 Ulster 21

Excluding try bonus points - final table:
Munster 72
Ospreys 66
Leinster 63
Ulster 60
Llanelli Scarlets 60
Cardiff Blues 57
Dragons 53
Connacht 46
Edinburgh Rugby 44
Benetton Treviso 36
Glasgow Warriors 36
Aironi Rugby 10

We need to take everything and yield nothing v Scarlets.
Last edited by cables on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote: Munster 72
Ospreys 66
Leinster 63
Ulster 60
Llanelli Scarlets 60
Cardiff Blues 57
Dragons 53
Connacht 46
Edinburgh Rugby 44
Benetton Treviso 36
Glasgow Warriors 36
Aironi Rugby 10

We need to take everything and yield nothing v Scarlets.
Was reckoning on something similar cables, if we had beaten Ospreys we could probably have scraped into second place, was a crucial match to win.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Seems to me there's a lot of chicken counting going on here. One match at a time, lads!

Rocky
Bo***cks to Brexit
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
lovesthehardground wrote: Worked it out and then realised that it spelt LOMU. Spooky or what??
WHAT

I'll set them up, you keep knocking them down :lol: :lol:
LTHG
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rocky wrote:Seems to me there's a lot of chicken counting going on here. One match at a time, lads!

Rocky
True Rocky but even without much counting it is starting to look like there could be 3 teams fighting for the 4th place on the final weekend, at this stage even if we win all our remaining matches we could still finish up outside the top 4, it's round to others deciding our final position as much as what we do ourselves, beating the Ospreys was key to an easier finish and depending less on other results.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Important that folk stick the weekend of 15/16/17 April in their diaries for the rather vital Leinster v Ulster game
in Dublin. Easy to remember - it's the weekend after the Northampton game.

ps is it too late to predict that Methody don't make the top 4 in the Schools Cup this year?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Important that folk stick the weekend of 15/16/17 April in their diaries for the rather vital Leinster v Ulster game
in Dublin. Easy to remember - it's the weekend after the Northampton game.
Odds stacked against us for that one as for a start leinster play on Saturday at home and Ulster away on Sunday, so a day less recovery to start, Leinster home advantage also and really only thing in our favour is that we may play a sort of seconds side which includes all the young lads and go for another high speed high risk running match.
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Was looking at the remaining fixtures in the ML and basically its between us and the Blues for that last spot. They're currently 2 pts ahead of us with with the same number of games played.

I can only see them losing to Munster at home next weekend and the Ospreys away, the rest are bankers for them (Connacht, Treviso, Dragons and Scarlets)

Munster have to beat Cardiff and Ulster can't lose any more games (apart from Leinster away) otherwise last nights lost BP and the lost BP out in Treviso will cost us the play-offs
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

6 game sprint.JPG
6 game sprint.JPG (45.03 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Columns 2 to 9 are in the order to be used at the end of league play to determine those teams progressing to the knock-out stages where the teams are level on points.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Big-al wrote:Was looking at the remaining fixtures in the ML and basically its between us and the Blues for that last spot. They're currently 2 pts ahead of us with with the same number of games played.

I can only see them losing to Munster at home next weekend and the Ospreys away, the rest are bankers for them (Connacht, Treviso, Dragons and Scarlets)

Munster have to beat Cardiff and Ulster can't lose any more games (apart from Leinster away) otherwise last nights lost BP and the lost BP out in Treviso will cost us the play-offs
Agree that all things being equal you would expect Cardiff to do as you say but the Welsh Derby is an unpredictable beast and with the Scarlets & Dragons games both away from home I very much doubt that they will win both.

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

with goon head on that one. I'd expect teh scarlet to beat them at home. Dragons are more unlikely to do us a favour but you never know....

I think we play llanelli the week before the HC? Baaaaaa. would have been nice to play Leinster that week and let the two B teams have a rumble.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

againstthehead wrote:with goon head on that one. I'd expect teh scarlet to beat them at home. Dragons are more unlikely to do us a favour but you never know....

I think we play llanelli the week before the HC? Baaaaaa. would have been nice to play Leinster that week and let the two B teams have a rumble.

For the Leinster game I can see McGlock giving it up and selecting players in key positions such as 9 & 10 who won't be playing there against Northampton. I think we could go hammer & tongs with a full team against Leinster, still lose & risk big players missing HC game. Don't do it. Leinster will probably go in understrength too but with confidence.

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
againstthehead wrote:with goon head on that one. I'd expect teh scarlet to beat them at home. Dragons are more unlikely to do us a favour but you never know....

For the Leinster game I can see McGlock giving it up and selecting players in key positions such as 9 & 10 who won't be playing there against Northampton. I think we could go hammer & tongs with a full team against Leinster, still lose & risk big players missing HC game. Don't do it. Leinster will probably go in understrength too but with confidence.
I like your +ve thinking, but lets win the QF before we talk about resting players for the semi!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk