The season ahead.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

The season ahead.

Post by Jackie Brown »

Well with the new season approx 76hrs away (and counting) what are your Ulster predictions for the coming season.

The 2010/2011 season was a cracker and the best season Ulster have had in a long long time. The good Dr had bought well in Mueller,Pienaar, Barker and Wannenberg as well as unearthing a gem in D'Arcy. We witnessed the emergence of Spence, Gilroy, L.Marshall, Paddy Mac and Jackson into first team contenders. We also saw the first season of one of the most exciting half back partnerships in European rugby with Pienaar and iHumph going from strength to strength. We FINALLY made it into the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup after 12 long years of hurt. We were a dropped pass away from making it to the semifinals were I have no doubt we would have turned Perpignan over at Lansdowne Road. We made it to the semifinals of the Magners League which showed we had a consistency to our play over the whole season.

So this year,

We have lost BJ Botha but in Afoa I feel we make up for this. BJ was a great servent to Ulster over the previous seasons and one of the best scrummagers we've seen in a white shirt. However he was becoming increasingly injury prone and, if rumours are to be believed, was trying to fleece Ulster for more than he was worth. I wish him luck in Turnipstan but not when they play us.

The core of our team remains relatively unchanged, Best, Mueller, Henry, Wannenberg, Pienaar, iHumph will all be one season wiser and more used to playing together as a unit. The inclusion of Gilroy, Spence, L.Marshall and Paddy Mac from the off will also be an advantage to us. The experience they gained last year will stand us in good sted as we begin this year with our 'big stars' involved in the World Cup. I thought we'd seen the last of the youth coming through for a while but already Nelson has made an impact and has two senior games under his belt.

For all the question marks over McLaughlin last season I believe he is proving a far more exciting and interesting coach than we give him credit for. He has brought youth through in a way unseen in Ireland outside possibly Leinster. He gives guys a go and a chance to prove themselves and he isn't afriad to make tough decisions if they don't (NOC). The worry I have this year is regarding forward coaching, Mueller has been an inspiration to the guys around him but that doesn't always translate into being a good coach. Allen Clarke has been here before and I'm not jumping for joy that he's back again, time will tell if he's learnt anything from previous seasons.

So where this year? Our squad is stronger, hopefully we will see more of Cave and Ferris this season which will be like two new signings themselves. With Afoa and Payne to join the Ulstermen we certainly won't see a drop in quality. McLaughlin's biggest headache will be who does he leave out! A backline made up of five from, Gilroy, D'Arcy, Trimble, Gaston, Nelson, Danielli, Payne, Wallace, Spence, Cave, L.Marshall and Whitten! Another top 4 finish in the league is a must this season, we need to be judging ourselves by Munster and Leinster's standards. That was the biggest letdown last season, we didn't compete in the four games that outside the HC should be our biggest. We are in a hellish group in the Heineken Cup and I feel even to qualify for the knockouts will be a BIG step up from last season. I believe we can do it, lets hope the lads do too!

COME ON ULSTER!!!!!!!!!!!! :red: :red: :red: :red:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The season ahead.

Post by Cornerfleg »

Personally ... I think we'll play better than last year and win games by more than just some Pienaar magic in the last seconds. However I think we will not qualify from the group in the Hieny. Don't want to sound gloomy but I think this year we should make the right moves forward but not get as much recognition, think we as supporters will really be needed this year.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

With the way the fixtures pan out through the WC, with other teams at least as much affected by call-ups as we are, I reckon we have a good chance to be sitting very pretty by the end of the WC.. I think we should have high expectations for ourselves this year - there's no point in us talking a good game, but then not delivering on the pitch. We need to be more efficient, more clinical, to make fewer errors, and to close out games without flagging in the second half - truth be told we caught quite a few breaks last year, and got out of jail with Pienaar's last minute kicks etc.. Ideally we can go into the HEC matches on the back of a series of good wins, and start off by doing a job on Clermont at Ravenhill!

And something we need to improve big-time os our record in the inter-pro clashes - last year was a complete embarrassment, particularly at Ravenhil..
Jackie Brown wrote:For all the question marks over McLaughlin last season I believe he is proving a far more exciting and interesting coach than we give him credit for. He has brought youth through in a way unseen in Ireland outside possibly Leinster
I haven't been uncritical of him, but in fairness I think that one thing he has done very well is bring young guys through very judiciously on the whole. A good example is Paddy Mac, I'm sure it must have been tempting to play him a lot more, but I think he played him just about the right amount. The other thing he's done well is identify in Cronin and McComb two pretty useful squad members from the AIL.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I noted in the match programme last weekend that John Afoa won't be arriving until December, so Fitzpatrick and Cronin are going to need to have massive seasons. Particularly for the first four Heineken Cup group games- Afoa will probably only be in harness for our last two HC group games.

I would say it will take Afoa and Payne a few moths to get settled in as they haven't had pre-seasons with the squad and it will only be next season we see the best of Afoa.

I see this season as being a bit too disrupted for us to challenge in Europe, but a strong challenge on the Pro12 front is possible. A top 4 finish would be a good shout for us, with the building blocks put in place for next season. A lot will depend on how we handle contracts this season; Pienaar, Wannenburg, Danielli etc. all out of contract at the end of the season.

I see this as a season of consolidation rather than breakthrough, especially in Europe, but a Pro12 title challenge should be on the cards.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Anybody know the best contact e-mail to wish the players and the all the staff the best wishes for the forthcoming season...
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Will be a very interesting season in a lot of respects. With the WC a great opportunity to blood a load of youngsters, and as said we should suffer less than other teams so should fare well in the first few months. Our squad is definitely stronger than last year so qualifying for the semis of the Pro 12 is an achievable target. HC will be a different matter but I do have hope that we can do well, if we got into the Amlin that wouldn't be a bad achievement.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Good work Jackie :salut: , nice thread and good summing up of last season. I am pretty excited about our Pro12 prospects and like others think we can challenge for the all important home semi.

As regards the new players, & like you I almost include Stevie Ferris if not quite the same with Darren but a good point. I hope that when the waste of time - sorry the RWC - is over that we will be able to use our players & not be fecked about by Deccie & the IRFU.

I would like to see Payne in action asap and hope he is on his way very shortly. Afoa will almost certainly be a bench man at best for NZ in the RWC so it isn't a given that he needs to be rested when he gets here, again get him in there asap. We don't have time to mess about.

Ordinarily after last season you would expect to target at least as good a performance but this group is a monster with Tigers & Clermont being two of the hardest places to win in HC rugby. Rather than a losing bonus point I suspect a more realistic target is not losing a try bonus point at these places. The bravest performance I saw last year was Leinster at Clermont when they did take a losing bp and fought magnificently being a little unlucky not to be awarded a try which could have earned a draw.

In reality I can't see us being at that level although if we have a fit Ferris,Trimble, Rory, Payne, Afoa, Pienaar & Muller plus of course iHumph and the nippers then who knows. One of the biggest pluses would be a decent run regarding injuries. I'm sure we all remember how overworked our fit back row players were and faded at the end of the season.

I'm afraid getting anywhere in either European trophy will be a major task.

Like Fleg I expect to see some better rugby, some of last seasons early games were dismal despite the results but if push comes to shove give me results anytime.

Jackie, I also like your comments about McGlock, far too many were prepared to dismiss him as too inexperienced & he has done a very good job so far, hope he personally has a great season & is able to manage our players without having his hands tied by outside influences.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Some good reading. Last season was my first and im pretty excited about this season.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Very hard to call. I think a lot depends on the 1st 6 games before the internationals return back. If we can get off to a good start then maybe we can get some momentum and hang in there for the play-offs again.#
A quick review:
- Props: lot of average props at the minute. Can Fitzy or BigMac really kick on and move to the next level? Afoa could be a great signing but his arrival seems some way off.
- Hookers: best is grand and we've reasonable back up
- Locks: no big carriers in the engine room: all decent players but again we need Tuehy or Barker to step it up a level. Mueller is a big loss for us whilst he's in SA.
- Backrows - all a bit too average for my liking. Diack looked the business as did faloon at one stage. Having a fit ferris would make all the difference but what are the chances. No-one else in dyamic enough with ball in hand and we are in desparate need of a genuine 7 - maybe Willy can build on the last 2 seasons.

- scrum half - legend
- fly half: if humph can carry on his goal-kicking from last season we'll do okay. The magners is a pretty average league so if you defend reasonably and kick your penalties you'll do okay.
- Centres - this is the really interesting area. We've 3 very promsing young centres coming through but we really need one of these guys to be the real deal. I remember trimble having a stonking season and then disapearing for a season or two - it would be awsome for spence to develop further this year. If we can get a centre-combo to really click we could do well. That said, I feel we lack genuine power at 12. Against the big european sides you tend to need some raw power at 12 who can put you on the front foot.
- Back 3: Payne could be a revelation assuming he plays 15. A steady head at the back that poses a real attacking threat could pay dividends. Again we need Gaston or Gilroy to come through and replace Danielli and for trimble to have another good season.

To be honest I've no idea - I lot of if's and maybe's. I think we'll be a long way off Leicster, clermont and leinster. I don't think we have much of a chance in europe - unless we are miracuously all fully fit and afoa arrives early. But without Afoa and Ferris in the pack we are just too light weight up front and not anywhere near dynamic enough to threaten the top sides. If our goal kickers perform we should push for 4th spot in the Pro12 and depending on how the Ospeys and Munster click this year we could push for 3rd again.

Overall, I'd be delighted to win the home heiny games, get to the Pro12 play-offs and beat either Munster or Leinster at home - preferably both!!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jackie Brown wrote:Well with the new season approx 76hrs away (and counting) what are your Ulster predictions for the coming season.

The 2010/2011 season was a cracker and the best season Ulster have had in a long long time. The good Dr had bought well in Mueller,Pienaar, Barker and Wannenberg as well as unearthing a gem in D'Arcy. We witnessed the emergence of Spence, Gilroy, L.Marshall, Paddy Mac and Jackson into first team contenders. We also saw the first season of one of the most exciting half back partnerships in European rugby with Pienaar and iHumph going from strength to strength. We FINALLY made it into the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup after 12 long years of hurt. We were a dropped pass away from making it to the semifinals were I have no doubt we would have turned Perpignan over at Lansdowne Road. We made it to the semifinals of the Magners League which showed we had a consistency to our play over the whole season.
Jackie - Not sure I'd agree with that assessment of the H Cup. We did well to get to the QF's but after a great 1st half we were completely outplayed in the 2nd by the better team. Yes we had that one opportunity with Darcy but to say we would have won if he had caught it seems a bit much based on the rest of the half.

Anyway, on to the more important question of this season. Like a lot of others on here I believe the league represents a real target for Ulster, with the aim to be securing a top 2 finish and a home semi. As most of our main competitors are likely to be more understrength at the outset we need to take advantage and the fact that we have already blooded a number of players at this level should stand us in good stead for this period. Let's get early league points on the board.

The H Cup draw is very tough and getting out of this group would be far more of an achievement than last season was. Unfortunately I don't think we'll make it (at least into the H Cup QF's) as I'm not convinced we are going to be good enough to get a losing BP at either Clermont or Leicester and would expect one or other of them to come and get at least that at Ravenhill. Coming away with a minimum losing BP is something Munster and Leinster have been great at and then turning round and thumping these teams at home. That's what Ulster are going to have to do and I don't think we're at that level yet (pack not strong enough and backs not penetrative enough).

As someone esle said, we may end up on paper at least to have done "worse" this season but actually have improved.
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

There seems to be a misconception that Ulster will suffer less than other teams from players missing for the RWC. As far as I know the number of players involved from the clubs is as follows:- Leinster 14,Treviso 12, Ulster 9, Munster 8, Scarlets 8,Glasgow 8, Aironi 8,Ospreys 8, Edinburgh 7, Cardiff 7, Dragons 5, Connacht 1 (Tonga). The only team we play worse off than Ulster in those first six weeks is Treviso !
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Can any of the sides put out a depleted side as good as ours? Doubt it. Our kids have come through at the right time. Played a few (or more) games last season and well up to speed this. Marshall, Spence, McAllister, Gilroy, et al, all ready to step into the starting team. I like the look of our squad as long as we don't start to have injuries.
Happy days
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:Can any of the sides put out a depleted side as good as ours? Doubt it. Our kids have come through at the right time. Played a few (or more) games last season and well up to speed this. Marshall, Spence, McAllister, Gilroy, et al, all ready to step into the starting team. I like the look of our squad as long as we don't start to have injuries.
Happy days
Leinster can still field a decent side, sure they have Fitzgerald left at home :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Royster wrote:There seems to be a misconception that Ulster will suffer less than other teams from players missing for the RWC. As far as I know the number of players involved from the clubs is as follows:- Leinster 14,Treviso 12, Ulster 9, Munster 8, Scarlets 8,Glasgow 8, Aironi 8,Ospreys 8, Edinburgh 7, Cardiff 7, Dragons 5, Connacht 1 (Tonga). The only team we play worse off than Ulster in those first six weeks is Treviso !
Your numbers are slightly off - Scarlets and Ospreys are both missing 10, Glasgow 9, Edinburgh 8. Sorry, the Ospreys are missing 11.

Also, this doesn't include the injured - Munster will be without Botha, Wallace and Jones for most if not all of the time (and probably a fair bit longer).

You're right that we've no particular advantage in terms of sending less mind. But no one really has an advantage there apart from the Dragons and Connacht. And, in truth, its not about who's going as who's left behind. Which is a different and lengthy subject involving a lot of research into other teams's squads. However, I certainly don't think we give anything away - we can pick a full team of players who know their business at their level, we've got plenty of experienced back-up in the pack and lots of talented youngsters in the back. Plus we spent a lot of last season missing our biggest players.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

I've already posted somewhere else about the season ahead. We'll do well to get into the Amlin but the HC QFs are not on this year unfortunately. A home Pro 12 play off spot is definitely on if we perform as well as we should. And there in lies the nub of the season. We need to perform better than we did last year in certain matches. The inter pros for example. We have to win the home games and get losing BPs away. If we do that I think that would represent improvement.

The more worrying aspect is the contract front. RP, Wanneberg etc. With their contracts expiring at the end of the season we could potentially improve this year, be in a great position to make a march on the HC front in 2012-13, and then lose two or three top players, resulting in us going backwards again.

This is a building year which may not necessarily translate into trophies or further advancement from last season in competitions. However we need to target an improvement in play, more BPs (particularly winning but also losing), and the securing of new contracts for our star players. Achieve these targets and we will have had a great year.
LTHG