Payne's Replacement

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

lovesthehardground
Steward

Payne's Replacement

Post by lovesthehardground »

With Payne out for the rest of the season are Ulster allowed to sign another NIQ for this year only as a replacement? If so would we have the money? If we did who would be available?
LTHG
Yoda
Initiate

Re: Payne's Replacement

Post by Yoda »

Payne wasn't signed as a NIQ but as a project player which is a 3 yr commitment - not sure if that changes things as to whether or not a replacement can be signed
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I can't see payne sitting around Belfast for 12 months scratching himself whiletrying to fulfill 1/3 of his qualification. I strongly suspect he'll be back to NZ quicker than a Welsh backrow off the back foot (and who could blame him?) In which case one would expect all bets to be off.

If we recoup any money from his departure, it should be spent on a scrummaging coach - no point signing Muliaina if we simply turn the ball over at the scrum every time.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

3yr contract injured for a year, you think he's off? Surely he will receive treatment from Ulster and pray for a speedier recovery than forecast?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dunno - Would you want to carry on living on the other side of the world without family and friends when your reason for doing it has been removed and your main avenue of aquiring new friends has been greatly diminished.

Add to that the uncertainty of the effect both the injury and the enforced lay-off will have on his chances of using his IQ status even after 3 years

My gut feeling is that he'll be off.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:Dunno - Would you want to carry on living on the other side of the world without family and friends when your reason for doing it has been removed and your main avenue of aquiring new friends has been greatly diminished.

Add to that the uncertainty of the effect both the injury and the enforced lay-off will have on his chances of using his IQ status even after 3 years

Think that will all be down to insurance etc whether he can go home or is allowed to stay here for treatment.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

BR wrote:Dunno - Would you want to carry on living on the other side of the world without family and friends when your reason for doing it has been removed and your main avenue of aquiring new friends has been greatly diminished.

Probably depend on how much I was being paid TBH.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Lots of players have said that the period of rehab following a major injury is really tough... you need to do lots of time in the gym and aren't really part of team-based sessions and training, let alone playing... so it would be even tougher for someone coming from the other side of the world who won't have built up relationships within and outside the squad yet.

I agree with BR... it wouldn't surprise me if one option would be for UR to give Payne a big pay-off, then it would be up to him to get himself fit and find a new team when he was ready to play again. I'm UR are contractually obliged to support him during his re-hab, but both parties could decide they are happy to part ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He's paid to be here and he'll be here. He’ll do his rehab under the supervision of Ulster medical staff etc.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Lets just hope he gets on with Callum Black ... cos they're gonna see a lot of each other.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

What's wrong with Black?

Anyway, Jared Payne is getting a bloody good wage to be here. He'll be going no-where as he's a class players. On his replacement it should be Connor Gaston for the bigger games and Peter Nelson should get a couple of games as well. Those 2 players are talented, with enough pace and bulk to compensate for Jareds loss.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Big-al wrote:He'll be going no-where as he's a class players.
With all due respect, he's not a class player if he's got no achilles.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
Big-al wrote:He'll be going no-where as he's a class players.
With all due respect, he's not a class player if he's got no achilles.
He's got two, but it just so happens that one of them is in two bits.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

point taken.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Payne has played 1 full game at which he was excellent, got a dead leg early on in the second game and wrecked early on in the third.
Take it from me having watched this guy in Super 15 that he was without doubt the best signing Ulster could have made for fullback.
I for one would be gutted if he heads back to NZ never to done our shores again but it would be understandable.
If Pienaar had signed a 3 year deal and suffered the same injury would we be so quick to wave him off?
IMO Payne is up there with Pienaar in the pure talent rating.
6-9 months out is a lot but IMO worth hanging on to, because I feel he's that good.
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig: