Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ruckover wrote:UR should designate one day in the year where they release all signings/plans for next year to save us speculating and guessing :D
No - that would mean that we just speculate and guess on the current year's signings for 364 days per year and the following year's signings for 365 days per year
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
ruckover wrote:UR should designate one day in the year where they release all signings/plans for next year to save us speculating and guessing :D
No - that would mean that we just speculate and guess on the current year's signings for 364 days per year and the following year's signings for 365 days per year
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Well if there was only one day it means I wouldn't have to deal with the transfer nerves I get every year :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

BaggyTrousers wrote:And by that job description, it would appear that the good Doctor is performing exactly the job he is mandated to do
We are being fed a line by some that it has been decided that McL is not the man to take the team to the next level.

If so, and it has been said already by others, how does anyone know that with certainty?

A proper review before such a decision should start at the top. Are we to assume that the DoR had a favourable report?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Thanks Cables. Must pay more attention to the programmes in future. It does make more sense in terms of the things he's been seen to do recently.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:stop press: Martin Johnston has to be available and would love to work with our pack :cheers:
By "our pack" do you mean our set of forwards, or our pack of blazers?
I think you'll find that the collective noun for blazers is shower not pack. :roll:
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Interesting interview (albeit it short) with Trimble on the Beeb re selection for the game on Sunday. He genuinely doesnt have a breeze about whats going on in UR re BML. Add to that Keith Wood adding his thoughts to it that Ulster are mad to be parting company at this stage. I hope that his departure is either of his own making or that there has been one almighty screw up and that UR confirm (and quickly) that he isnt going anywhere as it was all one big misunderstanding.

Still feel that Southern media are up to mischief with the story. >TM
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

What about John Mitchell? Former All Black coach and current Golden Lions coach, got them really going forward.

Expected to be out of a job as I think the Golden Lions are in big trouble. :silent:
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

What about President Obama I hear he may be available from the autumn... :drunken:
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UR have not yet stated that Brian is going, all they have said is contracts are up and under review, could be a lot of red faces if he stays.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jrstandsup
Novice

Post by jrstandsup »

Look lads its as plain as the nose on your face. I'm frankly astonished that none of you geniuses (is that the plural? probably not) have sussed it.
In the spirit of equality and co-operation Marty and Peter have decreed that as a condition of the re-development, Mickey Harte will take over at Ulster. The Ulster fans will be asked to go to Tyrone and give lessons on how to talk to referees i.e. point out politely mistakes made by the visiting teams make the linesmen feel loved. Eventsec will take over responsibility for refereeing post match festivities at GAA matches with particular attention to the involvement of substitute players.
I know for a fact that the WhiteKnight who used to frequent these pages has been to see Michael Bannon to work out how his famous "Get in the Hole" cry could be fitted in at Casement Park and indeed is there an Irish Language equivalent.
But look on the bright side,all those big burly full forwards and the like with great ball handling skills could be a great resource for Ulster Rugby. World domination could be within our grasp
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

cables wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:And by that job description, it would appear that the good Doctor is performing exactly the job he is mandated to do
We are being fed a line by some that it has been decided that McL is not the man to take the team to the next level.

If so, and it has been said already by others, how does anyone know that with certainty?

A proper review before such a decision should start at the top. Are we to assume that the DoR had a favourable report?
Would assume so Cables, especially as he probably wrote it himself :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

jrstandsup wrote:Look lads its as plain as the nose on your face. I'm frankly astonished that none of you geniuses (is that the plural? probably not) have sussed it.
In the spirit of equality and co-operation Marty and Peter have decreed that as a condition of the re-development, Mickey Harte will take over at Ulster. The Ulster fans will be asked to go to Tyrone and give lessons on how to talk to referees i.e. point out politely mistakes made by the visiting teams make the linesmen feel loved. Eventsec will take over responsibility for refereeing post match festivities at GAA matches with particular attention to the involvement of substitute players.
I know for a fact that the WhiteKnight who used to frequent these pages has been to see Michael Bannon to work out how his famous "Get in the Hole" cry could be fitted in at Casement Park and indeed is there an Irish Language equivalent.
But look on the bright side,all those big burly full forwards and the like with great ball handling skills could be a great resource for Ulster Rugby. World domination could be within our grasp
There are coaches with worse records than old "Two Organs". :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Whenever people like Keith Wood are criticising the decision, you start to get worried. Starting to not like this.

Of course, maybe it isn't true. Misunderstanding? Hopefully. Although the fact that UR aren't immediately denying it says otherwise :cry:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:And by that job description, it would appear that the good Doctor is performing exactly the job he is mandated to do and that accusations of interference with the coach/coaches come from pure ignorance of his role and are fully wide of the mark and I suppose must be the work of malcontents with a personal grievance or who just make a habit of gurning, whinging & axe grinding. :lol:

All hail Doc Dave. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: The saviour of Ulster .................... eh sorry Snipe, you know what I mean. :thumright:
Eh how do you get that from-
The new structure will, for the first time, allow McLaughlin and his Assistant Coaches to focus on the on-field issues relating to the senior team, while Humphreys will drive Ulster's attempts to produce a squad largely made up of home-grown players, supported by a small number of high profile players from overseas.

"Having played at the very highest level and having worked with a number of top coaches, David's knowledge of the Professional Game will be invaluable in ensuring Ulster are properly and professionally prepared for Magners League and Heineken Cup action" said Chief Executive Michael Reid. "The development of our young players, succession planning and the provision of appropriate playing facilities are key to Ulster's future success."
By that description Humphreys should have no say over selection policy, tactics, training. Or what the Fat Controller called "on-field issues" yet he continually sticks his beak in all of the aforementioned and iswas directly responsible for playing players in a position the other coaches felt they shouldn't play.

Very much with YM on this he'll do whatever he can to get as much control with as little accountability. Ironically some posters were referring to Matt Williams with the two faced smiley, the same could very much be applied to the glorious Dr. I've said before his role as a signee of players cannot be questioned, one only needs to look at our current batch of NIQ's but in the bigger picture he is an impediment to Ulster's ongoing succes because no DoR worth their salt would come in to work directly under him, which is what McLaughlin ended up doing this year.

Looking at that final paragraph. If he was doing such a good job why did our underage sides have such a abysmally poor season? Why is our representation in the Irish age-grade sides falling year on year? Why are we failing to produce the players Leinster are? (because our structures are light-years behind theirs thats why but thats conveniently swept under the carpet) Why are we looking to leave Newforge already or should we have ever been there in the first place?

I'd also wonder just how much unintentional damage the good Dr has done regarding corportate sponsors etc. Running down players at a corporate luncheon with a prominent international firm whilst people who knew the players involved sat there unamused, stories about Ireland's own versions of Harlequins bloodgate etc. :duh:
All very simple, RHH because unlike you I didn't simply select the pieces of the job description that suited my point.Of course I forgive you and you are certainly not the first person to have been selective in what they include in a post - isn't that right DL?
In the new structure David Humphreys will take control of Rugby Operations, with responsibility for the Ulster Senior Team, the Ulster Ravens (formerly Ulster A), the Ulster U20s and the High Performance/Academy structure, reporting to the Chief Executive Michael Reid.
Brian McLaughlin has been appointed as a new Head Coach with responsibility for training and team selection and will be assisted by Jeremy Davidson, Neil Doak and Peter Sharp.

Humphreys will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of Team Management and preparation, ensuring Ulster are prepared to a world class level, and will work closely with the Head Coach on all aspects of training.
Pretty certain the red bits include some responsibilities you left out.