Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Post by Big-al »

Anscombe is the former head coach of NZ u20s (got replaced last season) that have dominnated world rugby at underage level is he not????
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Big-al wrote:Anscombe is the former head coach of NZ u20s (got replaced last season) that have dominnated world rugby at underage level is he not????
My understanding is that he only held the HEAD coach position for 1 season.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Hard to judge how good a recruitment this is.

It seems we have hired the Brian McLaughlin of NZ if this article is anything to go by.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/prov ... s-ditching
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Thought it was for more.

How long has he been Auckland coach?
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Maybe he'll bring his son with him, and then we'll have the fly-half problem sorted as well.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Husky wrote:Maybe he'll bring his son with him, and then we'll have the fly-half problem sorted as well.
Wonder has he an Irish granny or anything ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Time will be the judge of this one I guess. I'm confident.

Do Ulster not break ANY of their own stories anymore? Or do you reckon they're secretly annoyed someone's tipped off Winker?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

OneMore wrote:Time will be the judge of this one I guess. I'm confident.

Do Ulster not break ANY of their own stories anymore? Or do you reckon they're secretly annoyed someone's tipped off Winker?
Its okay for Watson to break news no one choked on their croissant this morning at Ravenhill.

This would be the Ulster Way according to Watson Jnr! Time will tell if this will work, however I can't help feeling sorry for Brian McL at the moment, being replaced by someone of possibly a lesser pedigree. But good luck to the man. I do not see any change in back room staff then? I think I will keep one's own counsel on this.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

One can't help but get the impression that this appointment was 'Plan B', or possibly 'Plan C'.

However, naught to do but hope it works!
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
Husky wrote:Maybe he'll bring his son with him, and then we'll have the fly-half problem sorted as well.
Wonder has he an Irish granny or anything ?
Was Mark Anscombe not coaching in Ireland 20 odd years ago? Maybe Gareth is Irish born himself (... or has an Irish dad ;) )

Realistically - if he's only launching his career at the Blues, he's hardly likely to move up here - maybe in 10 or 15 years time.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Mark Anscombe :scratch:

Didn't see that coming. The name rings a bell, but couldn't have told you if he was a coach or a coach driver. Could be an inspired appointment.............

Let's hear it for Mark ........Thingy :cheers:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Gareth must be an eternal source of disappointment.
Forwards coach, siring a fly-half???

He was born in Auckland. Top scorer in junior world cup 2011.
A prospect alright... Been described as having a bit of the old carlos spencer about him.
Certainly doing something right to stand out at that age, and be included with the senior set-up in auckland
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Sexton must have turned them down!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

The only criticism you could give of this appointment is that it almost comes across as a bit of a damp squid. Certainly not a big name. So out of left field - I don't think there was one post where his name was mentioned as a consideration (which further demonstrates the ability of Ulster Rugby to - on occasion - run a tight ship).

Track record? Proven pedigree?
Could almost be viewed that Ulster is only a stepping stone to a bigger, more prestigious appointment somewhere else...

Anyways, hopeful. Nothing to criticise the appointment for, other than he's still to be proven.
If we start playing an Auckland brand of rugby... well, winning games 55-54 will at least be entertaining!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Comment from a Kiwi on Anscombe:
*Coached Auckland (NZ's best resourced province) to 5th, 3rd and 5th in his three years in charge. Won with the Baby Blacks but Stevie Wonder could coach those boys to a Junior World Cup title.*
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!