Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Post by Mac »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mcla ... 82076.html

By Russell Martin

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ulster’s head coach Brian McLaughlin looks set to lose his job at the end of the season, despite pulling the side out from the depths of despair.

Informed sources say he will be left go when his contract runs out at the end of May.

It is believed that Director of Rugby David Humphreys and Chief Executive Shane Logan have already earmarked a New Zealand supremo with John Kirwan and Matt Sexton being touted as his possible replacement.

McLaughlin, 52, took over as head coach three seasons ago following the sudden departure of Australian Matt Williams, and then, temporary coach Steve Williams of Wales.

The former Ireland skills coach was a surprise choice to avert the slump that had swept through Ulster rugby.

He initially signed a two-year deal and helped revive the fortunes of Ulster rugby, including twice winning on English soil and defeating Bath four times in Europe, but was only rewarded with a one-year extension last year which ends in May.

McLaughlin has seen Ulster’s stature rise and the province is thriving, thanks to some great results and planning permission was agreed earlier this month for an €18m revamp of Ravenhill which will cater for up to 18,000 spectators.

It seems strange that, with the team primed to reach its full potential, the head coach and possibly his hard-working backroom staff are to be jettisoned.

Ulster are currently sitting in sixth place in the RaboDirect Pro 12 League and have reached the knock-out stages of Heineken Cup once again.

Their style of play has brought plaudits from near and far, particularly for that pulsating 41-7 demolition job on Leicester Tigers recently. There was one negative side in that Ulster failed to get home advantage for their quarter-final shoot-out, after fluffing their lines in Clermont.

Heading to Thomond Park to face mighty Munster would not be everyone’s idea of an easy ride into the Heineken Cup semi-finals, but the players have a reason to prove the odds wrong.

When you consider McLaughlin’s plans were disrupted through injuries and the World Cup, Ulster have still managed to keep up with the big guns.

Before that, McLaughlin, who lives outside Comber in Co Down, had already seen the goal posts moved when Ulster Rugby jettisoned forwards’ coach Jeremy Davidson, one of the most experienced personnel at Ravenhill. Along with new captain Muller, McLaughlin took on another responsibility, which has proved a big success considering the powerplay of the pack this season.

Sources say McLaughlin is unlikely to seek a post outside the province and instead seek a job back in teaching.

Meanwhile, 47-year-old Kirwan has vast coaching and playing experience at international level. The 1987 World Cup winner, who made 63 appearances for the All Blacks, coached Italy from 2002 to 2005 before taking over the Japanese job in 2007.

Matt Sexton played for Ulster during the Alan Solomons’ era before becoming Rugby Academy Manager with the Canterbury Crusaders.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mcla ... z1kzkXQhE2
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Re: Report - McLaughlin to be shown the door at UR

Post by SparkyClarky »

Sad if McGlocks isnt making any decisions here for himself. Best of luck to him whatever he may do if this report is correct!

However it really does show how high we are aiming the bar!!!

C'Mon ULSTER!!! :red: :red: :red:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Sad if McGlocks isnt making any decisions here for himself. Best of luck to him whatever he may do if this report is correct!

However it really does show how high we are aiming the bar!!!

C'Mon ULSTER!!! :red: :red: :red:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wrong time of the year for this. :shock:
Image Image
Tom
Novice

Post by Tom »

Foreign coaches at Leinster, foreign coaches at Munster and now foreign coaches here. Such a big deal about producing home grown players but who cares about home grown coaches.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 11184.html

In a move certain to send shockwaves through Irish rugby, Ulster are set to ditch Brian McLaughlin and bring in a new coach for next season.

McLaughlin is widely considered to have made tremendous progress with the province since taking over in 2009, bringing Ulster to the knock-out stages of the Heineken Cup for the first time in 12 years last season, as well as the Magners League play-offs, before securing another European quarter-final this month.

On the back of these achievements, and the euphoria that followed Ulster's 41-7 thumping of Leicester, it was expected McLaughlin would be offered another extension, but it is understood that he has been told by Ulster bosses that his contract won't be renewed.

Director of rugby David Humphreys and chief executive Shane Logan are believed to want a fresh voice to bring the side on and are said to have already earmarked a new coaching team.

Early speculation is revolving around two New Zealanders, former Italy and Japan coach John Kirwan and ex-Ulster hooker Matt Sexton.

McLaughlin came in as coach on a two-year deal following the sudden departure of Matt Williams at the start of the 2009/10 season.

After years of Ulster under-achievement, the former Ireland skills coach oversaw a steady improvement but was only awarded a one-year contract extension for this season, which expires at the end of May.

McLaughlin was already on his second sabbatical from his teaching job at RBAI and was forced to resign his post when he agreed the one-year deal, having previously stepped down as head of physical education when he initially took on the job.

It is unclear whether he will be offered an alternative position within the branch or what will befall his back-room team of Neil Doak and Jonathan Bell.

Ulster face a Heineken Cup showdown with Munster at Thomond Park in April and are in the mix for the play-off spot in the Pro 12 but it is the style of play, most notably against Leicester, and the restoration of Ravenhill to fortress status under McLaughlin which have most impressed recently.
Image Image
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

I'm surprised. And whilst the timing may initially seem strange, I guess they wanted it out now rather than just before the quarter final. I guess we shouldn't be too shocked - only got a one year extension last year. He has served us well, may he go on to great things after Ulster.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Would be a tad unfair if he ended up back at school... Hopefully he'll get the academy at UR
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

The only aspect that surprises me in this story is the timing. I would have assumed that such an announcement would have come at the end of the season rather than at a key stage. However to date Hump senior seems to have been particularly adept at recruiting quality players while keeping his cards very close to his chest. Indeed he is worthy of the epithet oft used to describe our glorious lead Mr. Kidney - "a cute hoor". Based on Hump's recent sucess I would be surprised if this was not part of a grander plan or indeed if BML was not fully aware of the situation.
Indeed my understanding was that it was always likely that BML would go at the end of the season, with pension issues often being cited as the reason. Perhaps those out there with a grasp of the actuarial world and it's workings might be able to verify this thought.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

This is all lining up for a big press conference this afternoon where Fit and Doctor Dave announce the departure of McGlocks...

...and the arrival of Tommy Bowe :cheers:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

I'm disappointed to see McGlock go if this is all true, though as has been said there are no doubt behind the scenes machinations we don't know about. I'd love him to stay involved with Ulster or to have some input into the Ireland team.

it does seem cutely timed though. post-euphoria of the group qualification and with possible player recruitment news on the way, as well as a few days before the HEC is replaced by the 6N as the tournament of prominence. having queried the strategy in place at the early part of the season if this is managed well and yields results then it's another feather in the cap for Humph Senior.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

ruckover wrote:This is all lining up for a big press conference this afternoon where Fit and Doctor Dave announce the departure of McGlocks...

According to the BelTel this morning, it's between UR and Munster for Tommy's signature, and the two provinces will know who's got him in the next 48 hours.

Slightly off topic, but thought I'd throw that in there.
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

ruckover wrote:This is all lining up for a big press conference this afternoon where Fit and Doctor Dave announce the departure of McGlocks...

Ruckover - Is there a press conference scheduled? Having listened to Gusher on the radio this morning it seems the journos have taken a bit of a flier on this ahead of any official announcement.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

horslips wrote:However to date Hump senior seems to have been particularly adept at recruiting quality players while keeping his cards very close to his chest. Indeed he is worthy of the epithet oft used to describe our glorious lead Mr. Kidney - "a cute hoor". Based on Hump's recent sucess I would be surprised if this was not part of a grander plan or indeed if BML was not fully aware of the situation.
There is no cuter hoor than Humphs, most if not all signings up to now have not got leaked or were just leaked a day or so before being announced, yes there were plenty of guesses in rumours thread and on the law of averages some would be right some get the right country for players or even the right club but very few get the player in question.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

horslips wrote:

Ruckover - Is there a press conference scheduled? Having listened to Gusher on the radio this morning it seems the journos have taken a bit of a flier on this ahead of any official announcement.
Wouldn't be the first time they all knew but had a press embargo on it, especially if a couple of different time zones are involved.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best