Referees

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Referees

Post by breakdown »

pg106 wrote:I was at the match last night, Ruan in particular seemed to be getting very annoyed with Clancy's calls and JA just shook his head in disbelief. I don't think Cardiff got pinged at the scrum all night? It was a joke, waste of the 2 hour journey.
Noticed RP seemed to be getting very annoyed at the calls as did Afoa.

Surely a World Cup winning prop knows whats going on in the scrum better than a biased ref?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Vitalstatistix wrote:Given the importance of the referee in the modern game, there should surely be some independent monitoring/assessment going on so referees are taken to task where appropriate....

Quite sure UR won't rock the boat, especially with an IRFU ref
To the best of my knowledge there is a referees' assessor at most if not every match - retired referees watching from the stands who will report on the referee's performance. (not sure if they have the benefit of watching things again on tele, or have to base their assessment on what they see from a distance).
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

breakdown wrote:
pg106 wrote:I was at the match last night, Ruan in particular seemed to be getting very annoyed with Clancy's calls and JA just shook his head in disbelief. I don't think Cardiff got pinged at the scrum all night? It was a joke, waste of the 2 hour journey.

Surely a World Cup winning prop knows whats going on in the scrum better than a biased ref?
I agree with you, but can we get away from this, Gusher induced, world cup winning prop crap. He was not in the match day squad and played very little in the tournament.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
breakdown wrote:

I agree with you, but can we get away from this, Gusher induced, world cup winning prop crap. He was not in the match day squad and played very little in the tournament.
Reminds me of my one and only car accident. young lady who had only passed test two weeks earlier came through a red light at speed and hit me as I moved off from being stopped. I called police and we were both led off for questioning. Neither would admit liability so copper said he would charge one of us with careless driving, and on the basis that she was a rooky and unlikely to know better, and I was a veteran driver who would know to admit nothing, I was the most likely to be at fault. Did Clancy think that the grizzled old pro was trying every trick in the book to pull the wool over his eyes.

(and for anyone who is interested, I persisted with my story, but she slowly changed her story (the light was amber .....), and finally admitted she had gone through on red. Her insurance paid out for me including my excess)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I do like a happy and just ending :flower:
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Cracker wrote:Have we the right to object to a referee allocated to us and who has clearly to all cost us games through either bias or being incompetent?
No!
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:
breakdown wrote:

Getting in any New Zealand squad in the first place is no mean feat. However, Clancy is there to ref the game (albeit badly), not Afoa. I think Clancy will have been told the rules of rugby at some point.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Incompetance I can a ccept - we see a lot of it, but bias is not acceptable.

We were picked for going off our feet numerous times, Cardiff did the same repeatedly and got away with it.

Sorry but in my book that makes Clancy a CHEAT :banghead:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
breakdown wrote:

Getting in any New Zealand squad in the first place is no mean feat. However, Clancy is there to ref the game (albeit badly), not Afoa. I think Clancy will have been told the rules of rugby at some point.
Point well missed there Ruck
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Can I ask how a referee can be biased. It is clear that 'I want Ulster to lose' was NOT going through Clancy's mind. If a ref is found to be biased surely his job is under threat. How on earth could Clancy or any referee risk that? He got the decisions at the scrum wrong because he interpreted it differently to us not because he dislikes Ulster. Why would any ref be stupid enough or risk their job because of their dislike for another side.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

gannonman wrote:Can I ask how a referee can be biased. It is clear that 'I want Ulster to lose' was NOT going through Clancy's mind. If a ref is found to be biased surely his job is under threat. How on earth could Clancy or any referee risk that? He got the decisions at the scrum wrong because he interpreted it differently to us not because he dislikes Ulster. Why would any ref be stupid enough or risk their job because of their dislike for another side.
Hard to say, initial reaction would be no, but then I any referee stupid enough to make some of those calls last night is pretty bloody stupid!!