Eddie O

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

John_e_boy
Squire

Re: Eddie O

Post by John_e_boy »

petey11 wrote:A triple crown may mean sfa to you sitting in the stands or watching it on TV but I can guarantee it means a lot more than sfa to the squad of players. It might be seen as scant consolation by some but try telling that to the Welsh players last weekend, their after-match comment would suggest otherwise.
I'm simply tired with mediocre displays where our players after-match comments usually contain phrases like 'we expect better' and 'we must improve' instead of the odd 'they couldn't live with our intensity' type comments we love to hear.
It means nothing when you assess the success of a coach. It's a consolation prize and a drawback to a long byegone era. FFS France have been in the 5 nations since 1910 at which point the awarding of a Triple Crown became obsolete. Ask Wales how they cherish their triple crown if they were to lose their next 2 games.

It's just a statistic, not a measure of winning.

I say it again, Eddie O'Sullivan has won NOTHING as a head coach.
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Snipe Watson wrote:Baggy

Like many things, including both of us, the relentless march of time has had a detrimental impact on the good old Triple Crown. It is a thing of the past, a relic, a throwback to a bygone age when the home nations played rugger without any need to engage with Johnny Foreigner, but it’s a brave new world. Like the old interprovincial championship it is no longer relevant, other than for the purposes or television. I feel the joy from Ireland, Wales or Scotland upon achieving a Triple Crown is the fact that they have defeated England.
Well said Sniper..
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

True. Even the championship has lost it's appeal. It's all about the slam these days.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

So your saying if you won the competition you wouldnt be overly happy?

Some people are so hard to please these days... :lol:
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Mulligans "Witter"
richard mulligan‏@r_mulligan1
Close

@TheAnswer75 I understand NZherald is to run a piece re @UlsterRugby coach in next 48hours, which knocks our South African idea for six

Surf's up!! :lol:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Mac wrote:Mulligans "Witter"
Close

@TheAnswer75 I understand NZherald is to run a piece re @UlsterRugby coach in next 48hours, which knocks our South African idea for six

Interesting bit of info Mac............. so it's John Kirwan then :stir: :stir:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The growth of professional club rugby has emphasised the limitations of the international game.

The RWC is invariably crap. Barbarians games are now a complete joke. Lions tours are also becoming a bit of an anachronism imo.
6N is at best a bit of a diversion, at worst, a serious pain in the Brennan with the HC and Rabo run-in looming.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Merv keep the faith international representative rugby isnt dead just yet!
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ulster throw in wrote:Merv keep the faith international representative rugby isnt dead just yet!
Long as we beat Engerland. Bit concerned about the fixture congestion though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Ulster throw in
Initiate

True. Wish we had beat the West English now..
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Close

First rule of Mulligan's tweets.....assume they are totally inaccurate untill you hear it from a reliable source.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Bart S wrote:D/L - would be interested to know who you would like to see getting the job among realistic possibilities (ie forget about the likes of Graham Henry or Nick Mallet, who are more likely to take a national job if anything and in any case, would cost so much that player recruitment is likely to be severely restricted).

Also, know you are a big fan of what JS has achieved at Leinster in recent years, but he didn't come with huge pedigree when he arrived.

Finally, if you got your wish and Deccie was turfed out of the Ireland job, would you take him for Ulster? After all, his provincial record is VERY impressive.... :stir:
I meant to reply to this but forgot - I don't think JS lacked pedigree, having coached for 3 years with the Blues and 3 years with Clermont, one of the best sides in Europe, what he lacked was experience as a head coach. But for me he is absolutely the template - firstly an outsider (no old boy considerations, politics etc), with experience of coaching at a high level. And I think most importantly, and this is something which won't necessarily be apparent from someone's CV, he had a very clear vision of how he wanted Leinster to play, and how to get there, and presumably articulated that convincingly in the interview process.

Tbh I don't keep close tabs on French or SH rugby (where I think the guys most likely to fit the JS template are) so I can't throw out a list of names, but that's where I'd be looking if I was UR.

On Kidney - he is a busted flush. I wouldn't trust him to clean the drains at Ravenhill, never mind entrust the future of the promising squad we're in the process of building... (and interestingly, despite the fact that he has many staunch defenders among the Munster faithful, I have yet to see any clamour for his return to the Munster gig :D good enough for Ireland, not good enough for Munster)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Close

First rule of Mulligan's tweets.....assume they are totally inaccurate untill you hear it from a reliable source.
I unfollowed the plank
Far too much nonsense (stuff that wasnt rugby) - local football in particular. RTing wee girls appeals over their missing rabbit.
etc
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.