Eddie O

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Eddie O

Post by Jackie Brown »

After watching BBC newsline tonight Steady Eddie is obviously interested in the Ulster job.

Would he be that bad an appointment? When he first started with Ireland he was an excellent operator as far as running rugby was concerned. Maybe with the gift of hind sight the blazers in the IRFU and the constant drive to win or bust at every game for Ireland destroyed his ability. Look at Kidney a coach who got the top job with an impressive CV who has now been made to look like a bit of a Muppet.

So Eddie O for Ulster? :duck:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Re: Eddie O

Post by aarons »

Jackie Brown wrote:After watching BBC newsline tonight Steady Eddie is obviously interested in the Ulster job.

Would he be that bad an appointment? When he first started with Ireland he was an excellent operator as far as running rugby was concerned. Maybe with the gift of hind sight the blazers in the IRFU and the constant drive to win or bust at every game for Ireland destroyed his ability. Look at Kidney a coach who got the top job with an impressive CV who has now been made to look like a bit of a Muppet.

So Eddie O for Ulster? :duck:
It would at least make for interesting times. And raise Ulster's profile a bit further yet again
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

nope. Both EOS and Kidney are far too conservative. Youth wouldn't get a chance with either of them.

I feel we're ripe for a foreign head coach. Breath of fresh air, new ideas. Think forward, not backwards.

What did EOS ever win as a head coach by the way?
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Eddie O

Post by darkside lightside »

Forget it - the man who pi$$ed a decade worth of Irish talent up against a wall, with his scared, play-not-to-lose, negative gameplans??? The day he comes to ulster is the day I switch off.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

While agree with the above comments I just think that coaching at province level is very different from the National side. I actually wonder whether EOS might be a decent choice. Cant see it happening though as he and Big Hump dont exactly see eye to eye. Would Eddie be happy being given direction by Dr Dave couldnt see it...
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

When he started as Ireland's backs coach and in his early days as chief he was a breath of fresh air. Smart rugby brain and exciting tactics. As the years went on he grew more conservative until it was ultimately his downfall.

Now, Kidney has done the same thing although he's more a man manager than a tactics man. He's got so conservative its crippled him.

Is it the Ireland set up that does it to coaches? Fear of failure,pressure from the bosses, every game even friendlies a must win. That would stifle even the most creative of coaches.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Ulster throw in wrote:Cant see it happening though as he and Big Hump dont exactly see eye to eye. Would Eddie be happy being given direction by Dr Dave couldnt see it...
I read this a lot but is it actually true or is it just rumour or a conclusion based on the fact that by the time he was 33 or 34 EOS preferred ROG to Humphs in the Ireland team?

I read EOS's book a year or two ago and if it's to be believed EOS argued for Humphreys to be in the team over ROG when he was Gatland's assistant.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

There is a certain amount of IRFU pressure to do well in every 6Nations - that's no secret. They demand top 2 finishes year in year out.

But that wouldn't cut the mustard in the friendly game situation you mention - the perfect breeding ground for new combinations and up-and-coming players.

Kidney's a Munster man through and through and looking at our pack right now I fully understand how essential it is to have them fellas securing the hard yards and turnovers to give the half-backs the chance to to release the backs.

But........... why oh why is Donnacha O'Callaghan in the squad ahead of Ryan - who's stolen his place at Munster and Tuohy who's playing out of his skin this year.

That is the conservative streak we must blame Kidney for.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Ulster throw in wrote:While agree with the above comments I just think that coaching at province level is very different from the National side. I actually wonder whether EOS might be a decent choice. Cant see it happening though as he and Big Hump dont exactly see eye to eye. Would Eddie be happy being given direction by Dr Dave couldnt see it...

So when was the last time he coached at provincial level? He might do a decent job, along the lines of BmcL but will not take us to the next level and he wouldn't be my candidate. We need someone to take us in to the future and rock steady eddie ain't the man. Do you think the good Dr would bring him in to the fold after making him sit on his Brennan for so long in his last year of the 6Ns??? I would have retired too. If Deccie did that with ROG, he'd be gone too. Not a chance unless the decision is above the Dr
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

I'd be happy with EOS, I feel that kidney benefited fro the groundwork put I by him (and to anequalextent Gatland) I actually struggle to see what DK added
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Kidney has added nothing.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

John_e_boy wrote:nope. Both EOS and Kidney are far too conservative. Youth wouldn't get a chance with either of them.

I feel we're ripe for a foreign head coach. Breath of fresh air, new ideas. Think forward, not backwards.

Three Triple Crowns. He has a far far superior record than Kidney anyway.

The problem with EOS is that stayed on as Ireland coach one year too long, before 2007 he was very highly rated by most. We got upset because Ulster players didn't really get a look in, but let's be honest given where we where is it any wonder.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Harold7 wrote:
John_e_boy wrote:nope. Both EOS and Kidney are far too conservative. Youth wouldn't get a chance with either of them.

Three Triple Crowns. He has a far far superior record than Kidney anyway.

The problem with EOS is that stayed on as Ireland coach one year too long, before 2007 he was very highly rated by most. We got upset because Ulster players didn't really get a look in, but let's be honest given where we where is it any wonder.
Three Triple crowns does not equal a GS in my book. We waited long enough for it.

For me, it was EOS absorbing other jobs and taking on more responsibility that didn't make any sense. You have to build a good team around you and depend on them. He didn't. If Deccie can get our boys to win in NZ in the next tour then he can have first dibs on whichever poor woman decides to marry me. Beating NZ is the last holy grail IMO.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

is a triple crown a win?

I say no when it means you don't win a championship.

Sorry, he was the perennial nearly man.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Richard Mulligan tweeted that he saw Pat Lam at Ravers tonight... :stir:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.