Jared not in payne now?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

armalig
Novice

Jared not in payne now?

Post by armalig »

just reading that Jared back on the treadmill which is great to see. Tough on the man from down under on his first permanent foreign venture...ANyone got real positive opinion on him long term for alster?
From seeing him at ravers he seems tad lightweight ? Have been impressed with Stefan T ...coolness personified... WOuld not want 2b tackling him at full pelt...whereas Jared ..well wud fanxcy my chances (if ligaments hold out that is..!!)
Wondering is he`s Ulsters answer in the backs...need a cuttting edge midfielder /play maker with pace or an explosive (BIG) fullback breaking the line to be world beaters...just check Wales and the 20 year study(??!) that has proven that beefier rugby players are more successful (did u hear that one on teh commentary on SAt...raised a few lafs i`m sure)
Anyway voice is still croaky from Ospreys so i`ll write it in caps ... SUFTUM !!! :o
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Jared not in payne now?

Post by Rooster »

He looked a class act in the few matches he played so look forward to seeing him for a full season.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Anyone who watched him in the Super 15 lats season would knows he's a great player.
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Big _al -wot u reckon is his top attributes... as cant view the super15?
whats he bring to the party so 2 speak ?
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Poor effort at passing yourself off as a kiddie winkle.

Wot and What's.

To and 2.

:roll:

JP's a quality player. You'll see next season. :wink:[/quote]

u r sharp ! .text tok i say.ohh if only i wuz kiddie winkle :P
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

armalig wrote:Poor effort at passing yourself off as a kiddie winkle.

Wot and What's.

To and 2.

:roll:

JP's a quality player. You'll see next season. :wink:

u r sharp ! .text tok i say.ohh if only i wuz kiddie winkle :P
Would you consider English to be your first language?
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Oh how we deviate gentlemen ....Lets talk rugby and forget this `grammar and semantics thing ` thats going on here....
(last time of looking it was a Rugby Forum ?!)
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

armalig wrote:just reading that Jared back on the treadmill which is great to see. Tough on the man from down under on his first permanent foreign venture...ANyone got real positive opinion on him long term for alster?
From seeing him at ravers he seems tad lightweight ? Have been impressed with Stefan T ...coolness personified... WOuld not want 2b tackling him at full pelt...whereas Jared ..well wud fanxcy my chances (if ligaments hold out that is..!!)
Wondering is he`s Ulsters answer in the backs...need a cuttting edge midfielder /play maker with pace or an explosive (BIG) fullback breaking the line to be world beaters...just check Wales and the 20 year study(??!) that has proven that beefier rugby players are more successful (did u hear that one on teh commentary on SAt...raised a few lafs i`m sure)
Anyway voice is still croaky from Ospreys so i`ll write it in caps ... SUFTUM !!! :o
I don't see how Jared is light weight as you suggest. He's no monster but at 95kg and 6'2" he is what you would expect for a pro rugby player, for light weight see Ian Humphries. He played 13 a lot for the Blues and would be no mug in the physicality stakes over there in that position. Ironically he is near identical in weight/height to Stefan T yet you would rather tackle the man nearly 10 years younger :scratch:

From what I've seen of him in the Super 15 he looks a quality player. A potential back three of Trimble, Bowe and Jared looks great on paper. I don't think its about finding the 'answer' for Ulster, like a BOD type character that you build a team around its more about ensuring that you have quality in every position and that they all gel as a team. Having said that he still has to prove himself as he has only 2 and a bit games under his belt but I was impressed by what I saw.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

wot u fink ov dan carter
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
I don't see how Jared is light weight as you suggest. He's no monster but at 95kg and 6'2" he is what you would expect for a pro rugby player
Thats taller than Cave and roughly the same as Whitten, same size as Terblanche and bigger than Spence, time we scrapped the lot of them for being lightweight.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

95kg and 6'2" =15 stone and 6'2". How is that small?
dw7
Novice

Post by dw7 »

Payne was an important link player in an exciting blues back line last year that chopped between Brett & McAlister at 10 and never overcame the loss of Toeava mid season.

A boxy straight backed runner, deceptably quick & strong who picks nice lines. a space finder not a collusion junkie.
A taller leggery version of Paddy Wallace.

Obviously doesnt have the extreme counter running talent of a nacewa / beale / toeava and never struck me as a natural soccer player kicking out of hand. But thats being harsh.
A better 13 than 15 in the games I saw last year though i suppose he was always going to be compared to his mate Toeava at the back.

I've got a good vibe about him fitting into the Ulster team.
Good skills set, modest, no big reputation or ego, great team player by all accounts (and captained northland for three years)

IMO He'll offer probably less guile but a lot more threat with ball in hand than ST

An interesting addition....
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Sorry, I just thought this was a first post WUM? :?
That did cross my mind...what also crossed my mind was, welcome to the forum Adam D'arcy :salut: :salut:

My coat is already in the taxi... :cry:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

Dave wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Sorry, I just thought this was a first post WUM? :?
That did cross my mind...what also crossed my mind was, welcome to the forum Adam D'arcy :salut: :salut:

My coat is already in the taxi... :cry:
:lol:
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

Never mind the abuse Armalig, if you're an adult just lay off the text-speak ;)

Jared Payne was one of the form players at outside centre in his last Super 15 season and was on some of the 'Team of the Season' selections on a few sites (as was big Afoa). He ended the season at full-back and was still one of the form players which is why the All Blacks had a bit of a whinge at having to let him go. I got the distinct feeling they'd have liked him on the squad. He just oozes class and if he can infect some of our youngsters with even an ounce of what he has it'll never be a bad thing.