UB to meet this week re Maze?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

First that I actually realised that it was a 60 man committee that would be making the decision and as such I wonder how aware they are of what supporters think.

To a degree I would hope yes given the size it must cover a broad church and many would also be fans and would know how others feel.

Whilst UR have always supported a new stadium their prefered choice has always been in Belfast. With this in mind I wonder will they take any consideration of the invitation from the BCC to examine the Belfast alternative. Surely you can't pick one without at least considering the other.

With no business plan available last week to the IFA I am somewhat uncertain as to how I would be expected to make such a decision without many of the facts.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Interestingly, the former chairman of the URSC and I were talking to the said v.p. and the Pres. himself in Cardiff. They said much the same thing to us as Sonz was told in that big pizza place. And this was only a few days after MR had promised us that UR wouldn't be playing any games at the Maze. I believe our chat was referred to MR who told us to ignore them. :?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Sorry to bounce back again but read article inside the BT from Michael McGimpsey and he asks 'Why is the Government adopting an approach that is tantamount to blackmail.'

Also it was only recently that I realised that the all party MCP isn't all party anymore as the UUP representative was removed and the position is currently thru the party leader Reg Empey.

A leading member of the same party indicated that the initial representative who actually voted for the MCP proposals had done so of his own accord and that he hadn't actually sought any view from the party he was representing on the matter.
B.Y.O
Novice

Post by B.Y.O »

Vote YES for the Good Friday Agreement folks and we the Labour gov will give you not only a NEW STADIUM which will only ever be half FULL, but an IKEA as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I expect a similiar response to that of IFA

but I have always said neither the Administators of either Rugby or Football desire to go to the Maze

And a contract made under Duress is not binding

the process was always aimed at the administators of the game

And F*** the Public

They only have to live with the consequences Politicians don't

The EVIL that men do lives after them

it smelt bad from the first day it was mentioned and the smell gets worse
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

In my experience the only match that has been genuinely sold out (in the sense that it was impossible to get tickets anywhere, even before KO) since the 1998/99 run, was the Sunday match against Leicester.

Maybe I am a pessimist, but i think if Ravers had another 500-1000 added to it's capacity, I doubt we would ever sell out, unless we got to the quarters of the Heiny, or were playing another Irish team in a league decider.

Personally the thought of 12/13,000 people rattling round the Maze on a standard November evening, is a nightmare.

:red:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

redsock- original plans seen an increase to 14,000 in capacity making any move to the Maze more unlikely. Then this was reduced and the latest capacity will actually be smaller than the existing 12,300 thereby creating a situation were more sell outs may be possible.

One should also consider the H&S Regulations which haven't hit yet but which are likely to hit hard like at Windsor were capacity would be reduced to 9,000.

I agree that the one game in the past six years to create any real frenzy was that against Leicester. It would be interesting however to see how much the Sunday had to do with that situation as it clearly helped.

Does anyone know how the vote went last night? no mention on the news or in the papers.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

UB will consult with D4 today, before making their opinion public.
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

The capacity issue is strange, I was bit shocked when the new plans were announced, showing the decrease to 12,300, however I still think that is probably sufficient for most of our matches. Especially if it means better facilities for fans and players

I am really not sure if rugby can increase it's share of the market enought to justify even a 20/25,000 seat stadium, never mind 42,500 :shock:
pressbox
Warrior

Post by pressbox »

D4 will have a big input...as I understand it, part of the arrangement was to have an international at the new stadium every two years, the way Thomond gets one occasionally.
That would mean getting the likes of Andorra, Israel, Russia, maybe even the chaps from Spain playing Ireland during the winter Test series at Ravenhill....you can see 42,000 packed in for that one (given it will be second string Irish side).
However, it does give those in Ulster a chance to see an international given that corporates have taken all the tickets and our good supportive clubs during the leaner years are **** on once again.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

when was the last time a full international was held at TP :?:
I certainly can't recall one
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
pressbox
Warrior

Post by pressbox »

I would have to check back, and maybe get in touch with Cables, but I am of the understanding there was one there a few seasons ago.
Two would have been played in Dublin and one at Thomond (the minor game in a three game series.)

If I am wrong, apologies.....but I can assure you one of the issues about moving to the Maze was the IRFU would use the stadium for one of their internationals every other year
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

They plan on playing the pre world cup warm up games there.

Colin :twisted: phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1438
Romeo47 Alpha 52
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

I think that they played a world cup warm up match at TP before the 2003 tournament
pressbox
Warrior

Post by pressbox »

Ta for the assistance on that guys