Munster v Ulster QF

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Munster v Ulster QF

Post by breakdown »

Thought I'd get the ball rolling seeing as the time is almost near.

Honest opinions please, do you think we will win?

Not a matter of can we win, we know as well as anyone else that, on our, on our pitch, that Ulster are a match for any team, so there's no doubt we can win and progress. I'm feeling confident and feel we can steak it. Ulster by 6.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Munster v Ulster QF

Post by breakdown »

+1 Last Knight.

Although thinking back to last season when we played them down at TP in the Magners, we were leading at HT (if i'm correct) and we had a pretty weak team out in comparison to what our team is like this season. Take into consideration that they had a few key players missing too and the undenyable fact that Ulster as a team have really improved on last season and, lets face it, signed the best tighthead prop, if not prop, in Ireland. Put those factors in the mix as well as Ulster taking a leaf out of Munsters book and have started to have a real grit determination to win games and close them out better, this could be a very very good game, very physical and, in all honestly, will go down to the wire.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

If we go into it without any of our big guns missing we are still very slight second favourites. If Pedrie is missing we will struggle, our back row replacements are scary weak, they have some good lads even in the back up, anyone see Tommy O'Donnell barrel through for the winning try on Saturday?

I would say we can win but are not favourites & as we all know very few away wins happen in the knockout stages. I expect it to be decided by a few points either way.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Ulster have to go into the match with a total smash and grab mentality. Open with a high tempo, high intensity approach and hope to get on the board early or if we cannot get on the board early make sure every hit we make in defence knocks the wind from their sails. If we fail to do that and the TP crowd get behind their team it will be a long, long day.

LK I'd say it'd be more like 9 times out of 10 Munster would win such a game, though this certainly has all the ingredients for a cracker.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Ladbrokes have Munster at 12 to 5 on and us 10 to 3 against. Sounds about right.
Bo***cks to Brexit
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

POC may be out.

Tuohy vs Ryan will be a real match up of agression.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I'd say they are strong favourites with home advantage - in fact, if we played this game 10 times, I think we'd be luck to win once or twice. Throw a few missing players into the mix then who knows... One thing is for sure, we need to play a near perfect 80 mins. That means, set piece, kick offs, breakdown, defence, kicking game and, most importantly, goal kicking to ALL be top notch.

We'll probably create enough chances, but it needs to be one of those days were we are ruthlessly efficient. I'd really like to see us get stuck into their scrum. Pick up a couple of early pens and who knows...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

Ulster down by 3 at HT but pull away and win by 10............ SUFTUM
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

It's a HEC QF, it's a one off game.

Anything can happen! :red: :red: :red:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

I think the scrum will be all important. If we can dominate early doors and get the ref on our side we'll have a great chance. Can't see there being too many tries scored. My head is leaning towards home advantage being a deciding factor, but my heart says if Ulster bring the same intensity as Clermont, then we can win in a very controlled fashion.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Only way we can win is if we play at full intensity for the full 80 minutes. Can't afford to let it slip for 10 minutes or so, if so Munster will take advantage.

We're playing a team who knows how to get it done so Ulster can't make any mistakes.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Has there ever been a thread so cliché ridden as this one; in the history of cliché ridden threads.
I can confirm at this early stage that it will also be a game of two halves.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:Has there ever been a thread so cliché ridden as this one; in the history of cliché ridden threads.
You don't consider extra time as a possibility then Snipe?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:Has there ever been a thread so cliché ridden as this one; in the history of cliché ridden threads.
Probably also 80 min at least played
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Or penalty kicks?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.