Munster v Ulster QF

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Re: Munster v Ulster QF

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

There'd be a few close calls in picking players of theirs for us.
Cave or Earls
Zebo or Gilroy
their 2nd row, or ours

I think all would pick POC and Muller at lock, but Ryan or Touhy? And at 7? And if Ferris isn't fit?

This, on paper, looks close. Where we have the advantage is in the scrum (front row). However I can't see a scrum with BJ at TH being dominated.

They've a better 10 who will control the game. We've a better 9 who will pull the strings, to control the game.
The form of ROG or Pienaar could well decide this game.

I think Humphreys will rise to the challenge, Cave has a point to prove RE: Earls being the next 13 for Ireland, the back row with O'Mahoney and O'Donnell trying to get one up on Thierry... a leader and his apprentice at lock for both sides...

Too close on paper to call and my fear is that home advantage is worth a few scores.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re: Munster v Ulster QF

Post by Jackie Brown »

breakdown wrote:"I'm Jackie Brown and I got banned from Munsterfans!"

That would be good viewing :lol:
"FREE JACKIE BROWN"
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
scotscor
Novice

Post by scotscor »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:There'd be a few close calls in picking players of theirs for us.
Cave or Earls
Zebo or Gilroy
their 2nd row, or ours

I think all would pick POC and Muller at lock, but Ryan or Touhy? And at 7? And if Ferris isn't fit?

This, on paper, looks close. Where we have the advantage is in the scrum (front row). However I can't see a scrum with BJ at TH being dominated.

They've a better 10 who will control the game. We've a better 9 who will pull the strings, to control the game.
The form of ROG or Pienaar could well decide this game.

I think Humphreys will rise to the challenge, Cave has a point to prove RE: Earls being the next 13 for Ireland, the back row with O'Mahoney and O'Donnell trying to get one up on Thierry... a leader and his apprentice at lock for both sides...

Too close on paper to call and my fear is that home advantage is worth a few scores.
I don't think the Munster scrum will do that badly, lineout you would expect Munster to have a slight advantage though Sherry can get teh yips. Back row if Ferris is not 100% I'd call about evens. Half backs slight advantage to Munster - until Marshall and TOL come on.
Centres again slight advantage Munster, Back 3 even enough.

Thats calling it with my one eye. Should be a great game. I don't think Ulster with 6500 mad exhausted fans behind them will in anyway fear Thomond. Possibly only Leinster would embrace the atmosphere as much.

Its early on Easter Sunday, home advantage is going to be small. However if we can win playing so many kids then I can see a very very bright future for Munster.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Teams are closeish on paper but Munster have the advantage of having players with the experience of winning big games when it counts.

This Ulster team still has to do this.

They can do it but mistakes have to be keep to a minimum and chances have to be taken when they arise.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Has there ever been a thread so cliché ridden as this one; in the history of cliché ridden threads.
I can confirm at this early stage that it will also be a game of two halves.
You don't consider extra time as a possibility then Snipe?
In the highly unlikely event of deadlock at the end of ET does anybody know the current rules for the Place Kicking Competition? It's mentioned on the ERC site but there are no specific details.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Did you not read Farrelly's oft-maligned article?

We have Afoa.
He's won a world cup.

We have Muller.
He's won a world cup.

We have Pienaar
He's won a world cup.

We've Terblanche who has won Currie Cups and Tri Nations
Weve Pedrie who has played 100 consecutive games in super rugby

Look at Munster in contrast.
On the pitch, they've BJ, O'Connell, Ryan, ROG, Mafi, Earls, Hurley. These are their only players who've been around success. The remainder of their side are the next generation
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

big mervyn wrote:In the highly unlikely event of deadlock at the end of ET does anybody know the current rules for the Place Kicking Competition? It's mentioned on the ERC site but there are no specific details.
I'd imagine it is the same as Cardiff vs Leicester a few years back.

5 kicks from 22, in front. Different players. Goes to sudden death if all square.

From our lot:

Pienaar, IH, Paddy,
Terblanche can kick it I'm sure
Cave and Gilroy are the sort of guys who'll take a few shots the odd time in training
Let's hope it doesnt come down to Trembler or Tom Court
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

It will be close but you never know, mullers team talk could consist of a mass prayer involving Trimble, Pienaar etc. and it is easter Sunda:D
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
big mervyn wrote:In the highly unlikely event of deadlock at the end of ET does anybody know the current rules for the Place Kicking Competition? It's mentioned on the ERC site but there are no specific details.
I'd imagine it is the same as Cardiff vs Leicester a few years back.

5 kicks from 22, in front. Different players. Goes to sudden death if all square.

From our lot:

Pienaar, IH, Paddy,
Terblanche can kick it I'm sure
Cave and Gilroy are the sort of guys who'll take a few shots the odd time in training
Let's hope it doesnt come down to Trembler or Tom Court
I'm not sure it still is the same as Cardiff/Leics Welder. I thought it had subsequently been changed to 3 players from the 22 and then sudden death involving the same 3.

In any event, chances are Small P will have replaced IH if the game goes to extra time.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

breakdown wrote:It will be close but you never know, mullers team talk could consist of a mass prayer involving Trimble, Pienaar etc. and it is easter Sunda:D
Can't see you getting those boys to go to mass.
Big Neville Southall
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

If a place kicking competition is required to decide the winner of a knock-out match each team will nominate three kickers from the players on the pitch at the end of extra time. They will each take three kicks along the 22 metre line and if still undecided, sudden death using these kickers only will be used to determine the winner.
Because you should always show your source some decency by citing it...
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
If a place kicking competition is required to decide the winner of a knock-out match each team will nominate three kickers from the players on the pitch at the end of extra time. They will each take three kicks along the 22 metre line and if still undecided, sudden death using these kickers only will be used to determine the winner.
Because you should always show your source some decency by citing it...
That's last year though. Nowt about this year's competition.
The Rabo has this:

3.10. In the event that a Place Kick Competition is required, each Team will nominate three goal kickers who will take six place kicks between them from different positions along the twenty-two metre and ten metre lines. The Team with the most place kicks scored will be the winner. If the Teams are tied at the end of their six kicks, then sudden death will apply.

Differs slightly from your link but you would expect some sort of standardization.
Big Neville Southall
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

lets just hope if it comes to it, someone has the wit to announce to the crowd how its being played out.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:lets just hope if it comes to it, someone has the wit to announce to the crowd how its being played out.
Aye. D'ye remember the Celtic cup quarter against Leinster? At the finish, the players had to come over to the terrace to tell the fans that they'd won :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:lets just hope if it comes to it, someone has the wit to announce to the crowd how its being played out.
Aye. D'ye remember the Celtic cup quarter against Leinster? At the finish, the players had to come over to the terrace to tell the fans that they'd won :lol:
Remember it well - I was in the old stand that night (only stand that night). I was trying to put people's mind at ease throughout the E.T. as I knew that if it stayed drawn, we would go through on tries scored. Nobody wanted to believe a smarty pants though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right