Munster v Ulster QF

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Munster v Ulster QF

Post by pip14 »

2 days!! :D heading to Dublin tomorrow to see the Leinster game first. What a weekend of Rugby!!

After seeing both teams I can say I'm more confident of winning :wink: Their back row seems to be very inexperienced.
Glad Poite is refereeing, won't be influenced by the shouting by >TB fans
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Sheery is a massive risk, if he gets nervous Munsters line out could struggle. Their back row is weak, I'd go as far as saying ours is still better if Fez didn't play.

glad stefan is playing 15, knowing ROG he will hit them back all day and Terblanche is good under the high ball
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
scotscor
Novice

Post by scotscor »

Saying Sherry, TOD, POM, Murray or Hurley are poor is a bit like a Munsterman saying that any of the lesser known Ulster players are poor, just because you don't know much about them doesn't mean the players are poor.
Having said that if Sherry throws well, I could see him putting real pressure on Rory for teh NZ tour, the guy is fantastic in the loose.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

cables wrote:ACDC

Aggression, control, discipline, concentration - the ingredients for a walk in the Park.

Mug of tae and an Ulster Fry for Romain when he drops in for his pre-game chat.
Nice plan Cables, could work, only a fool doesn't fall for an Ulster Fry................................damn.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:
breakdown wrote:The only player in the munster team I would have starting for ulster would be ROG and POC
And the hyperbole reaches fever pitch :cheers: :cheers:
Thats pretty grim Breakdown, you are describing a team who are ahead of us in the Rabid & incidentally kicked Northampton's arses well and truly in the process of winning 6 from 6 HC games.

I'm afraid when I see that sort of thing it makes me wonder is it just having the one good eye or is it lack of knowledge of the opposition, I'm glad the team won't follow your lead.

We remain strong 2nd favourites but a team travelling with a certain hope. If we win it will be our "miracle match". If someone would like to rhyme off all the Ulster away wins against quality teams I'd be all ears.

I am considering going into radio silence until Sunday dinnertime, kindly do not disturb people. Good luck to all travellers, lets hope its all worth the trip, can't make my mind up if it will be a damp squib or a brahmer - tense just the same.

Happy trails
adios.gif
adios.gif (31.12 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
cables wrote:ACDC

Aggression, control, discipline, concentration - the ingredients for a walk in the Park.

Mug of tae and an Ulster Fry for Romain when he drops in for his pre-game chat.
Nice plan Cables, could work, only a fool doesn't fall for an Ulster Fry................................damn.
You arrived in Spain yet Baggy, with the G&T's lined up for sundown and watching Rory's charge in Augusta later on? ALMOST sounds as appealing as being at Thomond this Sunday.......but not quite :D
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
pythagoras wrote:
breakdown wrote:The only player in the munster team I would have starting for ulster would be ROG and POC
Thats pretty grim Breakdown, you are describing a team who are ahead of us in the Rabid & incidentally kicked Northampton's arses well and truly in the process of winning 6 from 6 HC games.

I'm afraid when I see that sort of thing it makes me wonder is it just having the one good eye or is it lack of knowledge of the opposition, I'm glad the team won't follow your lead.

We remain strong 2nd favourites but a team travelling with a certain hope. If we win it will be our "miracle match". If someone would like to rhyme off all the Ulster away wins against quality teams I'd be all ears.

I am considering going into radio silence until Sunday dinnertime, kindly do not disturb people. Good luck to all travellers, lets hope its all worth the trip, can't make my mind up if it will be a damp squib or a brahmer - tense just the same.

Happy trails
adios.gif

Breakdown - if we have 13 superior players it should be a walk in the park for us. Do you really think it will be? I certainly don't.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

scotscor wrote:Saying Sherry, TOD, POM, Murray or Hurley are poor is a bit like a Munsterman saying that any of the lesser known Ulster players are poor, just because you don't know much about them doesn't mean the players are poor.
Having said that if Sherry throws well, I could see him putting real pressure on Rory for teh NZ tour, the guy is fantastic in the loose.

I'd agree with you scotscor in that describing them as " poor " is not the right adjective at all. But as for Sherry, would he not first have to hold down a 1st XV position from Varley to be considered for the NZ tour? Not that i know much about hookers but i thought Sherry's throwing was better than VArley's last week. Though the old Bangor Reserves might give him a few problems early on in the match.

Baggy had the best words on this thread: Going to radio silence is the best thing i've heard in days, there's some kak being talked about on here from all sides.......
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Munster have an aura and a work ethic not dissimilar to ManU. They are always greater than the sum of their parts. When you look down the team sheets the only players of theirs I would take over our own are POC, ROG and Earls. Think about it.

This is the weakest QF Munster team in years. They've lost Flahead, Hayes and Stringer to either retirement or other clubs. DOC and Horan are not the forces they once were. Wallace, Howlett and Leamy out on the sick. We'll never have a better chance.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jackie Brown wrote:Munster have an aura and a work ethic not dissimilar to ManU. They are always greater than the sum of their parts. When you look down the team sheets the only players of theirs I would take over our own are POC, ROG and Earls. Think about it.

This is the weakest QF Munster team in years. They've lost Flahead, Hayes and Stringer to either retirement or other clubs. DOC and Horan are not the forces they once were. Wallace, Howlett and Leamy out on the sick. We'll never have a better chance.
Jackie - I think they're the 3 you would definitely take. There are a few others where it is debatable (Court, Wallace, Gilroy, Henry - albeit only if up against POM). These guys are going to be key as they have to win their head to head battles Huge test for Tom against BJ for example. I reckon Munster will target Gilroy as he can be vulnerable - struggled defnesively against Clermont for example.

Yes I'd say Ulster have the edge player wise, but history and home advantage are with Munster as, crucially is their ability to grind out results. As for belief, well we'll find that out on Sunday.

You are right though in that for Ulster this is a huge opportunity and as good as they'll get away from home against the likes of Munster.

One of the intresting things these days is that you can't be sure which Munster side is going to turn up. If it's the one which destroyed Northampton we could be in for a tough day but some of their other performances would give us a lot more optimism.
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Time for a moratorium, lets talk about something else like who will around Gt Victoria St in the morning to pick me up a few dirty mags from the shop beside the National Insurance Offices?
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

MACKTHEKNIFE wrote:Time for a moratorium, lets talk about something else like who will around Gt Victoria St in the morning to pick me up a few dirty mags from the shop beside the National Insurance Offices?
Dirty mags? Very retro. There's this new thing called the internet you know.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

Happy trails
adios.gif
All I meant is that on paper we would have a better team, not saying Munster are a 'bad team', I know full well they arent, like Jackie says, their player's, or the majority, will never set thw world alight, but the sheer dogged determination they have to win, espeically on their own turf is incredible.

I'd rather have Court over Du Preez, from what I've seen of de preez he isn't as good as Court in the loose although it was a close call. At hooker, it's no contest to pick best of Sherry, don't need to explain that. Botha, well yes he is good at scrum time but he is getting old and doesnt offer the same around the park as Afoa does.

Second rows are close but I would have POC over Tuohy and Muller over Ryan. Easy to understand why.

At 6, Ferris obviously (permitted he plays, if not then Ryan to 6 :D ) 7 I would have Henry, granted I havent seen O'Donnell but i'm putting Henry in ahead of him because Henry has been exceptional all season at 6,7 or 8, and stats prove just how solid he is in defence. Understandably I would rather have P3 over Coughlan, one was an established Super 15 player with about 20+ Bok caps.

At 9, Pienaar over Murray any day, Pienaar isn't as physical but Murray seems to think he's a back row player and his speed of delievery is crap compared to RP's. At 10, well obviously ROG over flaky iHumph.

Centres I would have Wallace over Mafi any day, and Cave over Earls although being honest I would put Earls into Gilroy's wing spot. So then back three I would have Tertblanche over Jones (as much as I rate him) which is obvious. Wingers I would have Trimble because he has been outstanding and oneof the form Irish backs, and Earls on the other wing, more established than Gilroy, and better finisher and defender (at the minute :wink: )
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

big mervyn wrote:
MACKTHEKNIFE wrote:Time for a moratorium, lets talk about something else like who will around Gt Victoria St in the morning to pick me up a few dirty mags from the shop beside the National Insurance Offices?
Dirty mags? Very retro. There's this new thing called the internet you know.
Not the same Merv, not the same. A cadburys spira bar too whilst your at it and a cherry coke.
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

someones happy!
Attachments
ferris.jpg
ferris.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 951 times