Mark Anscombe?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Boot
Novice

Re: Mark Anscombe?

Post by Boot »

Bart S wrote:If I was in MA's position i'd certainly expect any "mate" of mine to man up to this, given that if they didn't, it could adversely impact on my career. Fair enough to give him time to do this, but if he doesn't and MA doesn't say anything more, then it seems like misguided loyalty.

Totally agree,what I can't figure out though is that Rugby there is under the microscope,how it has'nt come out is beyond me.
Judge Dredd
Site Moderator

Post by Judge Dredd »

Anscombe thread has been split - any Citizen who wants to discuss the language of "racism" can do so in the Back Room at forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14699
"To protect and serve"
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Let's hope this gets sorted out as soon as possible.

Last thing we need is another one of these stories rumbling on for a while, even in the off season.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I am very very cynical of anything i read in the media. I remember a Kiwi paper recently credited our cup run to Anscombe...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Since I first saw a picture of Mark Anscombe, I always thought he looked familiar. It wasn't til today that I twigged who he reminded me of...

“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Muddy Bless
Initiate

Post by Muddy Bless »

I traveled and worked in NZ for 18 months and I was shocked by the levels of racism. On a number of occasions I was witness to conversations that made me very uncomfortable. The N word was often used in such a casual context that you could nearly have assumed it was acceptable.

I reckon it is a complex country. There are injustices and perceived injustices on both sides of the Maori/pakhia divide that seem to centre round money and public funding rather than simply skin colour. Whites complain about the circuis created by the various tribes that get 'guilt money' payouts.... While the Maoris and islanders don't feel they get a fair crack at the whip when it comes to employment.

I love the country, and I love the people there. Theyare generally tolerant (if not always respectful) of other cultures,even if it appears they regularly isolate themselves from those who may be different.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

I'm more worried by the fact he's got absolutely f*ck all pedigree than his views on Islanders.

He should, most definitely, have the balls to confront this in a much more head-on manner. I'll support him when he's here, but I don't want him
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Think we need to be careful before rushing to judgement on what the perpetrator of this should do. It could obviously affect their career very badly e.g. if they are another coach. Is it ok for one drunken mistake to do that I think not but others may disagree. What if it was his son that did it, should he hang him out to dry? IMO of course not, we all do silly things and I'm not sure any good would come out of revealing him. Finally what if it was his best mate's son, maybe in his teens and getting influenced by those around him, maybe even he is being bullied by non whites. Would you want to get your best mate's son blamed for this, would that really be the best thing to do. All I'm laying out here is different scenarios and to blanketly say whoever did it should reveal themselves is nonsense.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

LOL at the hypothetical situations above. I hear Hitler once got slapped by a jew, so it kind've excuses the whole holocaust thing
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Think we need to be careful before rushing to judgement on what the perpetrator of this should do. It could obviously affect their career very badly e.g. if they are another coach. Is it ok for one drunken mistake to do that I think not but others may disagree. What if it was his son that did it, should he hang him out to dry? IMO of course not, we all do silly things and I'm not sure any good would come out of revealing him. Finally what if it was his best mate's son, maybe in his teens and getting influenced by those around him, maybe even he is being bullied by non whites. Would you want to get your best mate's son blamed for this, would that really be the best thing to do. All I'm laying out here is different scenarios and to blanketly say whoever did it should reveal themselves is nonsense.
Fair enough Lurgan Lad, BUT we still appear to be in situation where something "unacceptable" has been written in the text message and Anscombe saying "it wasn't me, but I know who it was and I'm not saying" unfortunately doesn't make Anscombe come out in a good light.

Whoever it was has to front up (or be named) regardless, as otherwise this will remain a stain on Anscombe, as it came from his phone.

I'd like this sorted out so that he and Ulster can move on, rather than having this hang around him.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

To quote that sage philosopher, Han Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this".
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
kingoftheroad
Novice

Post by kingoftheroad »

First post so I'm expecting a barrage of criticism, as seems to be the usual welcome to this forum from established members.

First of all it was a fantastic acheivement to get to the final in the first place... bitterly disappointing to lose but Leinster were markedly the better team on the day. All the same a very emotional and incredible experience only bettered by that day in Lansdowne back in 1999.

I really believe that Ulster Rugby will suffer for losing Brian McLaughlin next season. As a fan I'm ashamed of the way he has been treated by Ulster Branch and believe Shaun Edwards column in The Guardian summed the situation up perfectly.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... rect=false

I've met Brian a few times in the past and have had the pleasure of being coached by him at Clongowes Camps many moons ago. He's a true gent and has a brilliant technical understanding of the game. He has a passion for Ulster Rugby that no foreigner will have, and even now he wants nothing more than to stay on as HC.

I'm not quite sure how anyone realistically believes that Brian will remain with the Ulster Academy; it's beyond me. He will not bite his tongue under the administration who royally shafted him, when he has successfully guided a once lacklustre side to the final of the biggest club competition in the northern hemisphere and is now "rated" as a Head Coach in his own right. Sure he has family commitments at home but he also has a lot of ambition and a lucrative club can buy an awful lot of plane fares, so commuting is now a realistic option for him.

MA has no significant pedigree if you delve deeper, and isn't seriously rated in NZ. I'm aware that sneering will ensue, but I have family in NZ who say his appointment by UR was very much viewed as a lucrative "golden ticket" in the face of disappointments at home. After his sacking and prior to UR he failed to get a number of other coaching roles within ITM covered within NZ press.

Unlike Rob Penney, he will be nothing but a puppet for the dHumph Administration who are seeking to cut their coaching teeth by proxy. I reckon this will cost the club and the fans, and will lead to much disappointment down the road.

Just my thoughts on the question of coach, and an attempt to relieve some of the frustration I feel about the whole sorry affair.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

As I have said before - I don't think McLaughlin contributes as much as we think. I believe our foreign contingent are the main reason for our success.

Reason? Think back to McGlocks first season. We finish 8th, just about beating Connacht into the HEC. Then we bring in Pienaar, Muller etc. and suddenly we finish 3rd and reach the HEC QF. Coincidence? I think not.

Anscombe, a qualified coach, should only enhance our rugby and bring in a new SH style. Compared to McGlocks who had no previous 'big team' experience.
Last edited by ruckover on Sun May 20, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

kingoftheroad wrote:First post so I'm expecting a barrage of criticism, as seems to be the usual welcome to this forum from established members.

First of all it was a fantastic acheivement to get to the final in the first place... bitterly disappointing to lose but Leinster were markedly the better team on the day. All the same a very emotional and incredible experience only bettered by that day in Lansdowne back in 1999.

I really believe that Ulster Rugby will suffer for losing Brian McLaughlin next season. As a fan I'm ashamed of the way he has been treated by Ulster Branch and believe Shaun Edwards column in The Guardian summed the situation up perfectly.

I've met Brian a few times in the past and have had the pleasure of being coached by him at Clongowes Camps many moons ago. He's a true gent and has a brilliant technical understanding of the game. He has a passion for Ulster Rugby that no foreigner will have, and even now he wants nothing more than to stay on as HC.

I'm not quite sure how anyone realistically believes that Brian will remain with the Ulster Academy; it's beyond me. He will not bite his tongue under the administration who royally shafted him, when he has successfully guided a once lacklustre side to the final of the biggest club competition in the northern hemisphere and is now "rated" as a Head Coach in his own right. Sure he has family commitments at home but he also has a lot of ambition and a lucrative club can buy an awful lot of plane fares, so commuting is now a realistic option for him.

MA has no significant pedigree if you delve deeper, and isn't seriously rated in NZ. I'm aware that sneering will ensue, but I have family in NZ who say his appointment by UR was very much viewed as a lucrative "golden ticket" in the face of disappointments at home. After his sacking and prior to UR he failed to get a number of other coaching roles within ITM covered within NZ press.

Unlike Rob Penney, he will be nothing but a puppet for the dHumph Administration who are seeking to cut their coaching teeth by proxy. I reckon this will cost the club and the fans, and will lead to much disappointment down the road.

Just my thoughts on the question of coach, and an attempt to relieve some of the frustration I feel about the whole sorry affair.
Here's the thing KOTR; neither you nor me, nor indeed Shaun Edwards know the inner workings of Ulster Rugby and I'll wager you haven't delved too deeply into Mark Anscombe's record either In fact I'll go for a sneaky double that you'd never heard of Rob Penney before he got the Munster job either...................WUM
kingoftheroad
Novice

Re: Re: Mark Anscombe?

Post by kingoftheroad »

Snipe Watson wrote:
kingoftheroad wrote:First post so I'm expecting a barrage of criticism, as seems to be the usual welcome to this forum from established members.

Here's the thing KOTR; neither you nor me, nor indeed Shaun Edwards know the inner workings of Ulster Rugby and I'll wager you haven't delved too deeply into Mark Anscombe's record either In fact I'll go for a sneaky double that you'd never heard of Rob Penney before he got the Munster job either...................WUM
I hope you enjoy a greater degree of success in real betting than in your "wager" and "sneaky double" in your post above. You couldn't be much further from the mark to be fair.

"Here's the thing" Mr Snipe... your condescending and patronising musings do little to either constructively contribute to the discussion or to encourage any potential new members to become involved!