Come gather round people....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Come gather round people....

Post by Snipe Watson »

Flegs anyone
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

aarons wrote:
bigchiefally wrote:The bit where Barry McElduff complains about some of the Ulster players not singing the SS whilst playing for Ireland.

Is that really a "bugbear" for nationalists in the north? That comment puzzled me. Genuinely interested to hear from anyone who wishes to announce themselves as nationalist on that.
To be annoyed by that would be like complaining water is wet. I'm much more annoyed by the likes of rog not singing Ireland's Call.
Is it just O'Gara or all players? There is quite a few players (incl Ulster players) who don't sing Ireland's Call.
Boot
Novice

Post by Boot »

Snipe Watson wrote:AODHAN GALLAGHER

Antrim senior footballer
Realistically, Ulster Rugby is not a provincial team but the local professional club team.

I don’t have an Ulster shirt, I have an allegiance to Munster, but I don’t personally see a problem with anybody going to watch Ulster.

When it’s two Irish provinces playing, maybe there will be some people up here going for Leinster, but if it was, say, Ulster v Clermont or Leicester, everyone would support Ulster.
:scratch:

And this plonker teaches children

His allegiance to Munster was probably why he did'nt get into the Ulster GAA team that beat Turnip GAA,

http://munster.gaa.ie/2012/02/26/gaa-fo ... -v-ulster/
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:Flegs anyone
OK old boy you've tempted me...
EEU.JPG
EEU.JPG (2.93 KiB) Viewed 409 times
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

TMHG wrote:

Is it just O'Gara or all players? There is quite a few players (incl Ulster players) who don't sing Ireland's Call.
Yeah lots don't sing either of the songs and lots sing just one of them. I must say I couldn't give a shíte about singing before games. I'm far more interested in what happens after the start of the game. If I am watching an international match at home I often time it so I miss the pre-match w-nkology. Saves you the bother of counting the number of players singing and getting upset about nothing in particular.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

Yer mans comments, the turnip from west Belfast, particularly the ones were he protests that he hasn't got a problem with ulster, are at best condescending and at worst something else. Unless his ma or da played for the turnips, then I can't think of one good reason why he would support them rather than his own province. Although one or two bad reasons suggest themselves.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Shan wrote:
TMHG wrote:

Yeah lots don't sing either of the songs and lots sing just one of them. I must say I couldn't give a shíte about singing before games. I'm far more interested in what happens after the start of the game. If I am watching an international match at home I often time it so I miss the pre-match w-nkology. Saves you the bother of counting the number of players singing and getting upset about nothing in particular.
Agree with a lot of this Shan. Lots of people in other countries don't sing the anthems for one reason or another and like you, I'm much more interested in what they do on the pitch.

I don't see anyone disrespecting an anthem and as long as that's not happening I don't have a problem with anyone not signing it. As for yer man from SF - I wouldn't expect him to sing GSTQ at an official UK event nor someone from the DUP to do the reverse in Dublin. It's all about respecting the other anthem.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Flegs anyone
OK old boy you've tempted me...
EEU.JPG
Nice choice. The emblem of the evil empire.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Who cares what an Antrim GAA man says? I wouldn't be a follower of GAA, although i have watched a few games in my time. I'm an Antrim man and I'm embarrassed of my County Team. I wouldn't even call it a County team more an amateur backwater...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Jackie Brown wrote:Who cares what an Antrim GAA man says? I wouldn't be a follower of GAA, although i have watched a few games in my time. I'm an Antrim man and I'm embarrassed of my County Team. I wouldn't even call it a County team more an amateur backwater...
i've always thought it a crying shame that belfast doesn't have a gaa team performing at the top level
Boot
Novice

Post by Boot »

Jackie Brown wrote:Who cares what an Antrim GAA man says? I wouldn't be a follower of GAA, although i have watched a few games in my time. I'm an Antrim man and I'm embarrassed of my County Team. I wouldn't even call it a County team more an amateur backwater...

Jackie you are correct Antrim and GAA sucess do not go well together,
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

TMHG wrote:
If NI had its own national anthem (a la Wales & Scotland) everyone would join in and sing it. Irish fans in general are good about respecting others anthems (there is a great clip on youtube of the Irish soccer supporters singing the French national anthem pre-match in Paris).
An official flag and an "individual" anthem were originally to be incorporated into the GFA.

The issue was quietly dropped and there's a document in CAIN which gives the results of a survey on the matter which states quite bluntly (which is unusual for these MR based things) that there was no prospect whatsoever of consensus being reached.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Agers
Novice

Post by Agers »

So what do we really learn from this article? Looked like an interesting piece at first but it's sort of been torn apart here. Really trying to make things seem more profound than they really are.

One possible (probably more plausible explanation): People like to support a local team...they like it it even more when that team happens to be winning high profile matches SUFTUM
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

bigchiefally wrote:The bit where Barry McElduff complains about some of the Ulster players not singing the SS whilst playing for Ireland.

Is that really a "bugbear" for nationalists in the north? That comment puzzled me. Genuinely interested to hear from anyone who wishes to announce themselves as nationalist on that.
Barry's talking bollix, you'll not be surprised to hear. I think most nationalists respect the Ulster prods (players and fans) who go to Dublin and don't let the fleg /anthem stuff put them off. I don't sing the anthem myself - I don't know the words in Irish for starters!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Agree with Baggy on the 20% at Ravers, and the 40% at Methody surprised me too.
Been like that for long enough at Methody - one of the reasons we sent ours there about 20 years ago. A good whack of the other 60% are Chinese - not sure whether they're Catholic or Prod Chinese though :lol:

Suppose I shouldn't be surprised but I'm a bit disappointed that so many of these non-stories are bneing circulated by people who should know better.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall