Eddie says do this, Eddie says do...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ballpark
Warrior Chief

Eddie says do this, Eddie says do...

Post by ballpark »

From Eddie O'Sullivan: "We made a decision that we'd try to be less predictable and try and keep the ball in hand more. That means taking risks," he added.
"We want to change the way we play and run with the ball more. Of course there is a risk element. If you lose the ball in these situations you get punished severely and you do have to show a lot odf composure under pressure. They're harsh lessons to learn, but you must take risks or you won't develop."

Well perhaps that in a nutshell is Ulster's game plan and playing fortunes since the Autumn Internationals when I reckoned they had changed their playing style. Seems Munster have been far more adept at adapting to this new style than we have but perhaps they have the players who can adapt and we don't. Leinster always did play like that.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Unfortunately we haven't been less predictable. I think every time the opposition see Maggs on the team sheet they know exactly what to expect. To be adventureous you have to take risks but I feel that Ulster are still coming to terms with when to be risky and when to be conservative. Having said that I also believe that our handling skills are not up to scratch at this present time.
Mum
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

I agree MUM that some of our older players are incapable or uncomfortable at least, with the ball in hand. All the Munster forwards can play with ball in hand with the exception of Hayes, they seem to have adapted far easier than Ulster have to the new system. Leinster had no problem as that is the way they play.

At the moment the knock ons which blight our game are coming us trying to keep the ball alive so perhaps there is a bedding in period for us as we change to the new style. Unfortunately not many other teams are waiting for us to catch up.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Ballpark

Munster have always played a ball in hand forward game with a mauling pack and only recently have they expanded their ball handling into the backs

Ulster on the other hand with a less experienced pack this year have open the ball to the backs where unfortunately DH has tended to run across the park closing the space Maggs tends to run straight at the opposition and the wings where to all intents and purposes our threat lies never seem to get the ball with room to run

We have not really started to use the backrow as a ball playing unit to the same degree as Munster

So I believe comparisons Between Ulster and Munster are not really possible at present in regards to hangdling skills

and Munster have yet to face serious French opposition

By marking Cabal in the Sale match they neutered the Sale pack which has all the hallmarks of a team with only one string in its bow and may find it hard to progree further now that key to their game has been found
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Munster have always played a ball in hand forward game with a mauling pack and only recently have they expanded their ball handling into the backs
Anytime Ive seen them play they used their backs well and expansively. They may not be as talented as the Leinster backline but they do use them.
Ulster on the other hand with a less experienced pack this year have open the ball to the backs where unfortunately DH has tended to run across the park closing the space Maggs tends to run straight at the opposition and the wings where to all intents and purposes our threat lies never seem to get the ball with room to run
With Boss his longer and quicker pass gives DH more time and Maggs to get faster ball to suck in the fringe defence. That is the intent but not always successful. The reason it was so succesful in Italy was due to faster ball due to better service from Boss and the Italians played their defence with little width but tight in the centre. Thus fast ball to the wing from either DH or one phase to suck in the centres meant space out Wide for Maxwell etc to exploit.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I don't think DH played in Italy

but the basis of the Munster game for the last 4 years has been a mauling pack and the backrow escaping from the edges

it is only with this young centre and wing that they have started to use the backs from deeper ie outside the opponents 22

it might make RoG into a better outhalf he was so used to playing to his forwards that he had forgetten how to run and pass

Most of his passes were being made standing still whilst looking at the opposition
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

colinh wrote:
With Boss his longer and quicker pass gives DH more time and Maggs to get faster ball to suck in the fringe defence. That is the intent but not always successful. The reason it was so succesful in Italy was due to faster ball due to better service from Boss and the Italians played their defence with little width but tight in the centre. Thus fast ball to the wing from either DH or one phase to suck in the centres meant space out Wide for Maxwell etc to exploit.

Colin :twisted:
DH was left at home for that one Colin, but your reasoning is partly right :roll: instead of the DH standard pass the ball back inside Pops passed it on out wide giving the backs a chance to run.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

I think BB if you look at Munster's style of play in the last two Heiny games compared to when they played the Dragons at Rodney Parade the difference in style is quite startling which I think even the SKY team acknowledged. I think I was making the point that Munster's forwards appear to be a lot more comfortable with ball in hand than some of Ulster's in equivalent positions particularily the front row. I suggested that Ulster are still coming to grips with the new more unpredictable style of play which requires all forwards to be able to handle the ball. As I said most of Munster's pack with the exception of Hayes can do it. Perhaps that is reflected in comical Eddies selection for the Italy game although i see Hayes has been selected.

As I said Leinster have traditionally played a fast open and unpredictable game with ball in hand so they would appear to have needed little adjustment to their game plan.

I agree that humphs sideways running has not helped the ball going wide and I think we're both agreed Maggs stifles fluent movement of the ball in midfield. note Maggs wasn't playing against Treviso which is probabl;y why we got the ball out wide.
Ardglass

Post by Ardglass »

In the last two games our backs have made an improvement in fluency.
Maggs and Humph have not played and Larkin has - it is not a coincidence.

When Bowe and Trimble return they would really benefit from playing outside Boss, Larkin and Steinmitz in my opinion.
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

When I watched Ulster in Cork last December we played a running game. It was also the first time I saw the backs switching positions rather radically. And in second/third phase play we also had the forwards joining in out wide. It worked well in the first half, probably because it caught Munster by surprise. They adopted a flatter rush defence in the second half and the tide turned. If it had not been for Steiners outstanding last ditch tackle we would have lost the match. Next we tried the same tricks against Sarries at Ravers and almost blew it. As for the games against Leinster and Connacht – well the wheels really did come off.

If we are to play this new expansive style we need to be running on to the ball at speed. Far too often this season the backs are taking the ball standing still. And the lateral running just allows the drift defence to close us down. I don’t so much blame the handling ability of the players– it is much more often to do with poor positional play.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co