Plans for the Maze

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I understand that it was some questions regarding the cost of said rail links and motorway infastructure from one fan that caused DCAL to not answer him even though it was done under the Freedom of Information Act.

Maybe that says something.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

dead ball wrote:Gary
Are the URSC/UR ready to make that statement you promised nearly 6 months ago? Isn't it about time you dealt with the realities? We will play at the Maze it's not a matter of 'if' rather 'when'.
Did you miss the UR statement issued last week? Did you notice any commitment from UR in it?

I just wonder what will happen to the whole thing when the IFA decides to make its own arrangements in a rather more sensible location.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Scandelous - No Heliport (for use of team & cheerleaders) and no mention of the Canal Link - for both barges (with bar) and bicycles. Its all doomed.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
ulster_exile
Squire

Post by ulster_exile »

Now a CANAL link - that is one hell of an idea... :lol:
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Now, a canal link with barges etc. - that would fit rather well at the more sensible stadium location, Ormeau :)
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

dead ball wrote: We will play at the Maze it's not a matter of 'if' rather 'when'.
as Gary as pointed out, the IRFUs statement last week makes it plain that it IS a matter of 'if' not 'when' regarding the multisports stadium
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

DB

The Statement issued reads

Firstly

THE IRFU support in principle the CONCEPT of a Multi-sports stadium in NORTHERN IRELAND

Secondly

SUBJECT to a satisfactory resolution of ALL

LEGAL
FINANCIAL
and
PRACTICAL matters

between the relevant stakeholders

Thirdly

The IRFU also supports the CONCEPT of certain IRELAND A international matches being played there
and would also agree to staging certain full International matches at the STADIUM from time to time

Fourthly

Likewise ULSTER RUGBY ,whilst regarding Ravenhil as its CURRENT and FUTURE home is agreed in principle to the CONCEPT of a Multi-Sport Stadium

Fifthly

SUBJECT to ALL
Material and CONSEQUENTIAL MATERS

being satisfactorily resolved

Now at best the statement can only be seen as look-warm

It has more provisos than a Barristers opinion
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

I was only kidding - of course there is to be a canal/towpath link - how else are we gonna get there without gettin caught up in a traffic nitemare?? Its now called The Lagan Corridor -

http://roper.tibus.com/lagan_corr.htm

Doubters shud note in particular objectives 8, 11 & 12.

I rest my case.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

This is my favourite paragraph,
Nevertheless, the decision by the Irish Football Association - along with the rugby and GAA authorities - to agree in principle to the Maze as a location, allows the government to move to the next stage which should see the three sports involved in the stadium design.
Don't see any mention of the Maze in the IRFU statement.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Well I have never seen such niaviety. The IRFU/UR statement it should be clear to most, bar the most hardheaded of the anti maze brigade, that they will be playing a part with the National stadium. It is already privately a done deal and most would accept this to be the truth.

Gary
you were quoted as saying that the URSC would make a statement that they had called off the petition on the basis that they had undertaking that UR would never play at the maze, I can't see that in any statements from UR or the IRFU. That was 6 months ago were is the URSC statement?
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Ulster proud sponsors of Comical Eddie! :roll:
Gary
Chancellor to the King

Post by Gary »

I have already explained that to you DB on numerous occasions. If you have forgotten I will repeat it again. MR asked us to withold the statement announcing the cessation of the petition until we handed the petition over to him. He asked us to do this after the planning permission for the new Ravenhill was published in the press. Not sure if the final plans have ever been put forward, but in any case that is now a matter for others. However the essential point of the statement would have been that following consultation with MR and UR, we were satisfied and convinced that Ulster would not be playing at any stadium built at the Maze except in the unlikely event of a major home Heiny quarter-final which would draw a crowd of many thousands more than Ravenhill could cater for. As far as I am aware nothing has changed - and last week's UR statements backs this up. Ask yourself DB, why does the IRFU mention particular matches to be played at a new national stadium whereas UR doesn't.

The whole Maze project is running into more and more difficulties and not only because two of its major customers don't want anything to do with it. Wait to see the problems with the required new access roads - this should be fun. Not to mention a car park for 3000 cars at a 42,000 capacity venue. As the cost goes up so will public antipathy. And politicians don't like being unpopular.

The fuss about the Millennium Dome will be nothing compared to the fun we're going to have.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

DB

The out clauses are already there

and there are also the odd questioable statemente such as " the emerging master plan for the site has aldready been discussed with the four main parties"

If so then why does M McGimpsey ask " Why is the government adopting an approach that is tantamount to Blackmail" "I cannot ignore the major question marks associated with the Maze proposal Icannot ignore the Governments attempts to lock out serious debate on the matter"

does this sound like a member of a party with which the matter has been discussed.

The final masterplan recommendations from EDAW will be presented to Ministers shortly.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

dead ball wrote:Well I have never seen such niaviety. The IRFU/UR statement it should be clear to most, bar the most hardheaded of the anti maze brigade, that they will be playing a part with the National stadium. It is already privately a done deal and most would accept this to be the truth.
Sorry DB - but what is clear from this statement is that it is a masterstroke of ambiguity.

By Mentioning support in principle for the multisports stadium it gives the Governtment and the pro-Maze brigade enough for them to interpret it as a support for the Maze project.

By not mentioning the Maze by name it gives the anti-Maze brigade enough latitude to believe that while the UB has lined up behind a multi-sports stadium project there is a possibility that an alternative venue could still be a possibility.

I'm afraid that if you take this statement objectively, on its own (which is how it must be taken as it is the only formal statement they have made), even with all your legal training you will be unable to extract from it either clear support for a stadium at the Maze, or a rejection of the Maze as a venue. The statement makes no reference to the Maze and no such reference can safely be inferrred.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

i will admit that the Barges currently dont go as far as the Maze but at least it shows that part of the infrastructure is there even b4 building work on the stadium has started. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.cityboats.biz/

ps has anyone been on them yet?

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Gary
Chancellor to the King

Post by Gary »

What, they're gonna build a tunnel to the Maze? Thought there were enough tunnels there already :shock: