Plans for the Maze

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Plans for the Maze

Post by Cockatrice »

Anyone see the exclusive plans for the Maze on the BBC News this evening which included a 5,000 indoor arena as well as underground car parking and the Equestrian Centre eluded to before.

All adjacent to the Terrorist Museum (Conflict Resolution Centre) which includes one H block and the hospital in which the 10 Hunger Strikers died.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I saw it was very impressive.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The story on the BBC HERE
Thy don't expect big crowds with a 3000 space carpark :roll:
There are also plans for a rail link and park-and-ride system close to the stadium, though these will not be ready by the stadium's planned opening date in 2010.
I always thought that the first part of any building project was to get the transport infrastructure in place :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Thats's the very point - as far as I'm concerned Rooster!

Effective infrastructure is crucial for an out-of city-centre project like this. How often do do these "planned" facilities which are mentioned in the submission in order to deflect potential criticism acually get built?

I am deeply suspicious that the mention of the rail-link will be enough to allow the government, the planners and the stadium builders to demonstrate that the plans are "viable" and stall/deflect effective criticism and analysis of the plans. However once the plans are passed they will never find the money to build the rail link and it will be forgotton about. The stadium will end-up a white elephant as many of us fear it will.

Here is an opportunity to build a decent rail link that connects the the Airport and the stadium site to Belfast - but it will be missed.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The rail link will never be built if it is not there before stadium is opened.
I have an old road map from the early 70's which shows the proposed route of the M1 as far as Enniskillen the M2 going up to both Coleraine and Londonderry and a further link between Portadown and Newry meeting up with the motorway from Lisburn to Newry, there has not been much progress on those all yet :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:The rail link will never be built if it is not there before stadium is opened.
I have an old road map from the early 70's which shows the proposed route of the M1 as far as Enniskillen the M2 going up to both Coleraine and Londonderry and a further link between Portadown and Newry meeting up with the motorway from Lisburn to Newry, there has not been much progress on those all yet :roll:
couldn't have put it better myself.....
Paul.

ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Sure wasn't there a report of several accidents and traffic chaos when 19.000 turned up for the game at Casement Park on Sunday. Can you imagine the mess if that had been at the Maze :lol:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Why was it aired

Well we're the City of Belfast lot meant to present their Case to BCC last night

And the SIB will do anything and I mean ANYTHING to stop that getting airtime

It was the same old tripe and spin

And no proposals to stop the log jam at the place

Similiarly there is alot of garbage in this Mornings Telegraph allegedly written by the Minister himself

But including the out clause

"I and My Ministerial colleagues will have to be satisfied about the
FULL COSTS and benefits( ? ) of any decision to commit Public expenditure to the Maze/Long Kesh project and that it will be affordable in the context of competing claims on scarce resources"

Unfortunately all this does is to encourage those in charge to over estimate the expected crowds and underestimate the costs

A formula for disaster
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

cjp wrote:I saw it was very impressive.
Seconded. Bearing in mind the above concerns about the transport infrastructure.
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

It's happening boys now be gracious in defeat!

:lol:
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Ulster proud sponsors of Comical Eddie! :roll:
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Don't know whether or not it will happen DB. Just certain we'll not have to play there. :wink:
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Is that another unofficial official statement there Gary! :roll:
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

It's common sense DB. Also keep your eye on the IFA - there have been a few interesting meetings taking place. :wink:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I'm NOT defeated DB. Whether or not the stadium is built at the Maze is not the issue I'm concerned with.

What I AM concerned with is that IF it is built at the Maze the job is done properly and the infrastructure that is required top make it succeed is put in place in time for it to open. Putting a proposed rail-link in a plan without the commitment to deliver it is disingenuos. If it isn't built at the same time as the stadium it will never be built.
Paul.

dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Gary
Are the URSC/UR ready to make that statement you promised nearly 6 months ago? Isn't it about time you dealt with the realities? We will play at the Maze it's not a matter of 'if' rather 'when'.