Signings: O'Connor & Herring Confimed

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Signings: O'Connor & Herring Confimed

Post by pip14 »

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10589.php

Nothing we didnt know but confirmed. Herring sounds like a good coup by Humph
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: Signings: O'Connor & Herring Confimed

Post by Mac »

The important factor here is that Herring is IQ.

Apart from that no surprises. I see the checkpoints
at the border crossings were to no avail. Who fell
asleep?

Anyway we now have two new Ulsterman and as
a fan both will get my full support. :red:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Just had another look at the UR statement....it would suggest
that we now have what we have regarding 10.
NOC will compete with PJ & RP for the jersey.
End of?
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

World Domination here we come! :roll:

Just so everyone is aware (before I get an earfull), both will get the same support as the rest of the team when they pull on the jersey.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Meg The Lab
Novice

Post by Meg The Lab »

Well, no great surprise there. Let's hope young O'Connor has improved his game whilst in the western province. Just been having a look at some clips of Rob Herring on YouTube. He seems to be a player who likes running at defences and has a handy side step as well. I think he will be a good signing. He will quite possibly be our number two number two.

IMO we are signing O'Connor only because the IRFU and their flawed policy regarding NIQ players has forced us to. Tossers.
I've just swallowed a whole bag of scrabble squares. My next visit to the toilet could spell trouble.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Did O'Connor establish himself ahead of Nikora as the Connacht 10?Not happy with our options at 9 & 10 next year. A top European side needs more than one proven HEC standard halfback. That said they will all do their best and receive full support in the white jersey. Its not the players fault etc.

I also take from the article that Brady and Best both stay on, which is good news.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Warm welcome to our two new Ulstermen...SUFTUM
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

While i wish Herring all the best in his career at Ulster, and NOC all the best on the resumption of his career with us - i have to admit the signing of the latter in particular leaves me somewhat under-whelmed. Not sure he is the signing to ensure plans for world domination continue apace, not even sure he is the signing to set the Rabo alight - however, he will be representing Ulster on the field and as such i sincerely hope to be proved wrong on that front.
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

if DH sees something in NOC that the rest of us don't i will be prepared to give him another chance to prove himself, many on here where unhappy with both NOC and IH at a time and it was said many times if both their strong points where put together we would have a cracking player as what one lacked the other excelled in, so GIVE NOC A CHANCE.

regards Herring can he or has he played any other positions apart from hooker?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Ards, Herring can also play flanker AFAIK.

Anyway, i'll welcome both to Ulster! :red:
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Rob Herring himself:
"I was quite tall for my age so, as it happens, the coaches put me at lock. It was at the end of grade 7 I decided to move to hooker and, although I've the odd game at flank, like most hookers, I'm staying in the front row."
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

NoC is a player who had potential but was allowed to remain under-developed at school . His coaches encouraged him to do that which could do -- kick a ball a hell of a distance-- but never encouraged him to try to vary his kicks or look for space just kick it as far as you can son -- no tap and run-- no up and over --no up and under ,thus he remained a two trick pony- kick long or pass

If Ellwood has done what his school coaches should have done years ago he might make a reasonable player.

School coaches have a lot to answer for . they accept the talent but fail to develop the player
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
ronk
Novice

Post by ronk »

ColinM wrote:Did O'Connor establish himself ahead of Nikora as the Connacht 10?Not happy with our options at 9 & 10 next year. A top European side needs more than one proven HEC standard halfback. That said they will all do their best and receive full support in the white jersey. Its not the players fault etc.

I also take from the article that Brady and Best both stay on, which is good news.
O'Connor started 4 HC matches and subbed in one more. He started 9 Rabo matches and subbed in 6 more, 3 of those sub appearances were his first 3 caps for them.

I think it's fair to say he established himself at Connacht. What that's worth is a different matter.

Between Pienaar and Marshall, O'Connor might not even make the bench for the big games and it certainly can't hurt to have him.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Herring seems like a very interesting capture though I'd be a little worried for Annett's future with his arrival. However, increased competition for places is always worth having and I think he could be very handy.

NOC...increased squad depth and I feel he will come back a better player. He's here now and he has my support, I hope to see him scoring some vital points in the season to come. :red: :red: :red:
ronk
Novice

Post by ronk »

Meg The Lab wrote:
IMO we are signing O'Connor only because the IRFU and their flawed policy regarding NIQ players has forced us to. Tossers.
Or because McKinney and Humphreys left at the same time. IRFU would allow a NIQ outhalf as Munster and Leinster don't have one. There's one more slot available still, so we could sign one if we really wanted one.

The IRFU are hardly likely at this stage to be laying down the law saying that Paddy Jackson must start. I'd let them off this once.