Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Connacht

Post by ruckover »

Big game in my opinion. Will be crucial to see what momentum we can take into the HEC next week. I expect it to be as strong a team as possible but knowing MA could be a mix as usual.

Bit of bad news already though:

:whistle: : George Clancy (IRFU, 49th competition game)
Assistant :whistle: : Dudley Phillips, Brian MacNeice (both IRFU)
Citing commissioner: Eugene Ryan (IRFU)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (IRFU)
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by Amiga500 »

Eric Elwood is quitting Connacht at end of this season.

Wonder if that will affect their mentality any? (But I gather it might have been announced pre-Leinster, if so the obvious answer to my question is "not much"!)
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rocky wrote::banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I take it that was brought on by
ruckover wrote: :whistle: : George Clancy (IRFU, 49th competition game)
Assistant :whistle: : Dudley Phillips, Brian MacNeice (both IRFU)
Citing commissioner: Eugene Ryan (IRFU)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (IRFU)
:puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker: :puker:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

lol, really looking forward to this one - even with Clancy. feeling over-confident post Cardiff which is worrying me....

Interesting team selection, McGlock would have put out his strongest side but I think Anscombe might just 'rest' a couple of forwards by bringing them on from the bench. nothing to base this on except a gut feeling.

Do you think there will be a minutes silence or applause for Nevin as this is the first home game since the tragedy?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Clancy...
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

againstthehead wrote:Do you think there will be a minutes silence or applause for Nevin as this is the first home game since the tragedy?
I would expect a moment's silence. No need for applause - that was brought in at footy matches because there always a few clampits who will spoil a silence (and it only takes one or two), whereas applause drowns out any disrespect. We have seen the total respect shown at rugby matches all round the British Isles - no reason to expect anything different at Ravenhill.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I was thinking along the lines of applause to celebrate what he did on the pitch for UR. No question of silence not being respected.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Will Muller be back? Will Ferris be risked? What about Rory Best?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

What is the position re best and muller? Are they fit and available?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yes gents, silence is what I would expect, I consider it holds more respect than flapping hands - each to their own but as usual I am right (Ryder Cup result excepted) :D

I am certain that nobody intends to be at all disrespectful but being an old fart & forthright in my opinions I have found some of the expressed notions of how to show our respect for Nev, frankly bizarre with some seeking to out do others with hair-brained ideas - retiring shirt numbers & Yankee trash like thon, not to mention 12th or 13th minute clapping which could easily be overtaken by on pitch events and rendered daft.

A minutes silence has done frankly more famed, if generally not as well loved people in the public eye than Nev, I'm pretty sure he'd consider it appropriate. No point in reinventing the wheel.

AS for the side against Connacht, I;d be surprised if Maaaaaaaak goes balls out against Connacht, a biy or two he will want game time for if he can I'd be bound.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Has the King spoken on this one yet?
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

What do people think? If Rory isn't available for this week would you give him his first start of the season in the HEC?

I think I would be inclined to play him off the bench, but hopefully he will get a half decent run this Friday. If 1F plays a half this week that's prob enough to keep him ticking over for next week.

The squad hasn't let us down so far so I am more than happy for a couple of players being "rested" prior to next week.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: AS for the side against Connacht, I;d be surprised if Maaaaaaaak goes balls out against Connacht, a biy or two he will want game time for if he can I'd be bound.
You may be right Baggy and I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two "surprises" but I think it will be a pretty string side. He'll know the importance of the first game back, he'll know the interpro importance, and he'll know it's the "dress rehearsal" for the week after.

I think the team will approximate to the one above.

Looking forward to it! :bounce:
MA seems to like to keep everyone guessing. Keeping them all on their toes. One or two surprises would be what I expect.
Possibly a rest for Nick.......
Robbie at 8?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

When you get on a bit of a run every match becomes magnified a bit, as you don't want to lose the momentum, especially just before the HEC. Expect we will start our first choice side bar a couple of forwards, I guess wing is one area not totally settled between Trimble, Gilroy and Bowe.