Ulster Ravens vs Bridgend Ravens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Ravens vs Bridgend Ravens

Post by Cornerfleg »

Careful now ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

(15-9): Peter Nelson; Adam D'Arcy, Ricky Andrew, Stuart Olding, Chris Cochrane; Niall O'Connor, Blane McIlroy;

(1-8): Richard Lutton, Niall Annett, Conor Carey, Alan O’Connor, Neil McComb (capt), Conor Joyce, Ali Birch, Roger Wilson;

Replacements (16-22): John Burns, Kyle McCall, James Simpson, Sean O’Connell, Michael Heaney, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Not a bad wee side that ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Impressive management team (in terms of quantity anyway):

Management team: Allen Clarke, Gary Longwell, Alan Rankin, Kieran Campbell, David Drake, Alan McCaldin, Chris Hagan.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

I would worry about Andrew at 13, unsure if he has played there before but that team should have more than enough to get through the game.
VanTheMan
Novice

Post by VanTheMan »

Good to see Roger back. Hopefully a good show and he will come into the mix for next week in Glasgow.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Any background on McCloskey and Scholes?

UR haven't yet announced this year's academy (on the UR website anyway) and these players weren't in the academy last year, so are they in it this year?

Also Alan O’Connor is an Ireland U20 player from last season and from Leinster. Is he also Ulster academy and if so, I wonder why he isn't Leinster academy. They are hardly coming down with second rows.
VanTheMan
Novice

Post by VanTheMan »

ColinM wrote:Impressive management team (in terms of quantity anyway):

Management team: Allen Clarke, Gary Longwell, Alan Rankin, Kieran Campbell, David Drake, Alan McCaldin, Chris Hagan.
Mgt team look a bit on the light side. Perhaps they should employ a few Management Replacements lol! Just in case of injury.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

mikerob wrote:Any background on McCloskey and Scholes?

UR haven't yet announced this year's academy (on the UR website anyway) and these players weren't in the academy last year, so are they in it this year?

Also Alan O’Connor is an Ireland U20 player from last season and from Leinster. Is he also Ulster academy and if so, I wonder why he isn't Leinster academy. They are hardly coming down with second rows.
Mike I seem to recall reading that it was somewhat of a coup that we signed Alan O'Connor ( nearly just said O'Connor there which might have caused some consternation!! ) - I don't think it was that they didn't want him, maybe he thought he would get more opportunities up here? :salut: :red: :salut:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Maybe our massive management team kidnapped him
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Any updates?
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Ulster Rugby
ULSTER RAVENS 49-19 Bridgend Ravens in the British and Irish Cup! SUFTUM!

more details to follow... Were you at the match? Who stood out for you?
Mary had a little lamb . . .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Ulster win the Ravens derby :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

From the Ulster site-
Ulster Ravens got their British and Irish Cup campaign off to the perfect start with a convincing win over Bridgend Ravens at Deramore Park.

Two tries from Chris Cochrane and tries from Stuart Olding, Niall Annett, captain Neil McComb and substitute Michael Heaney saw the home side outscore the competition new-boys by six tries to one.
Out Half Niall O’Connor scored 17 points from the boot as he put in a solid 65 minutes before being replaced by Stuart McCloskey.

Roger Wilson made his long-awaited return from injury in the game, lasting 40 minutes and will be hopeful of being selected in the Ulster squad to face Glasgow in the Heineken Cup next weekend.

Ulster Ravens and Bridgend Ravens had been tied at 16 points each at half time. The visitors opened the try scoring through winger Glen Lewis, but Stuart Olding claimed Ulster’s first score of the game on 20 minutes after a powerful run from Chris Cochrane.

After the break however, Ulster Ravens were ruthless in their finishing and scored at will.

Niall Annett started the Ulster try-fest eight minutes into the half, before captain Neil McComb broke free of Bridgend tacklers to run in and score in the corner. A superb inside flicked pass from Niall O’Connor put Chris Cochrane in for his first on 64 minutes and he crossed for his second just eight minutes later.

Substitute scrumhalf Michael Heaney capped a fine 30 minutes with a great individual score right on full time.

Ulster Ravens play Bristol away in their next match in the competition on Sunday 21st October.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Thanks for the update, great win. A bit odd that Roger only played a half I think, but great he got through it. I would be surprised if he is ready to make the squad for next week though, needs another game or two after such a long layoff.