Yes Paul, that applause was...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Yes Paul, that applause was...

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bart S wrote:If beagle and Ruan are away then it's a great opportunity for Heaney to show what he can do.
That’s making the assumption that he can do the job and I’m not convinced.

I think there is a big difference between improvement and excellence. beagle is showing the former, but not yet the latter. As BR said on another post, his speed and energy do make up for some of his short comings, but I don’t think he is international class yet.
Having said that, class IQ 9s are scarce as hens teeth.............
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Considering RP's time with the new coach/squad, I think he did fairly well. I think it took a world class 9 to perform in such circumstances. RP's natural ability (for example his presence at the breakdown and speed of delivery) outshone p. But p edged it on overall performance for me. I still think he box-kicks too much, but at least we have someone who can catch chasing it this season. Once RP beds in, I expect he'll return to our 1st choice 9, but I hope p gives him a run for his money.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

small Paul has come on miles over the past 2 seasons what a game he had last night and I think he could well start next week as he earned it, but regards Heaney at the stage when Boss was pushed out of UR Paul was playing no different than Heaney at the minute, so I wouldn't write off Heaney yet.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Bart S wrote:If beagle and Ruan are away then it's a great opportunity for Heaney to show what he can do.
That’s making the assumption that he can do the job and I’m not convinced.

I think there is a big difference between improvement and excellence. beagle is showing the former, but not yet the latter. As BR said on another post, his speed and energy do make up for some of his short comings, but I don’t think he is international class yet.
Having said that, class IQ 9s are scarce as hens teeth.............

Fair point Snipe, but if you've said only a few months ago that an Ulster starting XV including McComish, Henderson, beagle and PJ would have been gutted not to get a 4 try BP in the Heiny against a french team I think most of us would not have believed it.

What I'm saying is that the ingredients are there for Heaney to give it a go - ie a reasonable pack to play behind and a team with some confidence. Don't forget we'll be playing against weaker sides as well. This is his chance to provide he's worth a further look at - I'm certainly not saying he's Heiny material yet, but worth a go against understrength Rabo teams if beagle and Ruan are away. He won't be surrounded by a bunch of novices with no hope of winning, as may have been the case last season.

As foe beagle, I agree he's not a world beater at 9, but like you say, the quality of Irish 9's is pretty poor at the minute and IMHO he's shown himself to be as worthy of a go as the rest of them.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Having watched Murray this afternoon -- beagle is at this moment a mile ahead and i think he ( beagle ) as a few defects and head farts although Redden had a reasonable game for Leinster

but Ruan has a pass which provides his out with space lots of time and space
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

beagle had a great game as everyone has said, but against Glasgow I would start Ruan as I feel he gives us the best chance to win. This thing about based on form beagle should start isn't quite right imo, Ruan has been in great form at a much higher standard of rugby.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

All this talk about Heaney is ridiculous. beagle won't even get on the AI squad so we're OK :wink:

Seriously though, I don't think we have anything to worry about. Heaney, while a long way off Marshall and Pienaar standard, is still a decent scrum-half. He does the basics right, which allows PJ to pull the strings from out-half. I don't think our form will drop and it'll give Heaney valuable game time to improve, which is what he needs right now. Besides, he's still young. Plenty of time to improve.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

rumncoke wrote:Having watched Murray this afternoon -- beagle is at this moment a mile ahead and i think he ( beagle ) as a few defects and head farts although Redden had a reasonable game for Leinster

but Ruan has a pass which provides his out with space lots of time and space
Rum - would some of those "head farts" be when he tries to tap and go or tap and kick ahead like he did last night, but it doesn't come off? IMHO he plays a higher risk game which means that when it comes off he probably scores indivdual tries that dare I say it, even Ruan wouldn't, but at the same time whenit doesn't it can cause some problems for us.

RP is a more consistent player but I think beagle's "brain farts" sometimes have to be viewed in the context of what he can conjure up for the team on an individual basis.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

AL's guys.....

Nobody see that it's the Lions for Small Paul.
Leading on the Sky Pundits Lions Index.

Just made me chuckle :D
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Huge call at 9. I think Ruan woul be the safer bet away from home, however, beagle has done enough to keep the shirt. Very difficult decision.

Alternatively, Ruan to 15 and payne to 13!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

againstthehead wrote:Huge call at 9. I think Ruan woul be the safer bet away from home, however, beagle has done enough to keep the shirt. Very difficult decision.

Drop Cave? No.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

againstthehead wrote: Alternatively, Ruan to 15 and payne to 13!
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

SparkyClarky wrote:AL's guys.....

Nobody see that it's the Lions for Small Paul.
Leading on the Sky Pundits Lions Index.

Just made me chuckle :D
Linkage please till I get a wee looky? :P
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Pienaar to 15, I've heard it all now!

He's not Nigel Brady FFS
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

againstthehead wrote:Huge call at 9. I think Ruan woul be the safer bet away from home, however, beagle has done enough to keep the shirt. Very difficult decision.

Ahhhhh ...... well played Mr Head ... you ... you're good you ... no you're good ... you nearly had me there ... you nearly had me ... you caught some of the others ... but not me ... you think I came up the lough in a bubble ... gotta get up earlier if you think I'm gonna bite that bait ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"