Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Post by Snipe Watson »

King Ding wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I dunno Baggy, I think Olding could make an excellent 13. Hr has the feet, the defence, the speed and the step. Very very exciting prospect!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Agreed Jackie, Ulsters long term centre partnership will be Marshall at 12 with Olding at 13 IMO, from watching hims last year i would go as far to say with everyone fit he should be our first choice centre.

Saying that i would actually like to see Olding get a few games at 10 as im still not convinced by Jackson and Oldings only been giving the chance a few times. Jacksons goal kicking was great last night, but didnt think his all round game was good, plus 1 great performance mixed in with a few poor ones doesn't mean hes turned the corner yet.
Jeepers Ding have you been on the sauce or wat? >burp
What aspect of PJ's game was not spot on last night?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Again why are we comparing our two starlets as they are completely different.
Why could they not be a combo, interchanging roles the way Roberts and BOD did for the lions in SA?
This keeps the oppo guessing at what is coming as there is a variation of points in attack which is the key to midfield attack lines.
Bear in mind that neither have had a run together mainly due to fitness.
If they clicked it could mean fireworks for us and Ireland and I am certain that is not lost on either management.
FFS Jizzbeg, that worked so well that that Warren Gatland Warren Gatland dropped BOD. The idea works well though at times as Jared & Luke showed for Luke's try last week.

In any event both are 12s, not a 13 in plain site. That my good man is Darren's job & yet again he was emphatically our best all-round 13, the glue which holds the line together.
FFS Baggy back at you, BOD was 34 and way past his attacking best when he was "dropped," whereas Olding is 20 and Marshall is 22 so its a world of difference.
As you perceptively acknowledge the idea works as with Payne and Marshall doing the same so it is a concept they are aware of.
The best teams dont play with numbers on their backs as they say.
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Snipe Watson wrote:
King Ding wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I dunno Baggy, I think Olding could make an excellent 13. Hr has the feet, the defence, the speed and the step. Very very exciting prospect!

Agreed Jackie, Ulsters long term centre partnership will be Marshall at 12 with Olding at 13 IMO, from watching hims last year i would go as far to say with everyone fit he should be our first choice centre.

Saying that i would actually like to see Olding get a few games at 10 as im still not convinced by Jackson and Oldings only been giving the chance a few times. Jacksons goal kicking was great last night, but didnt think his all round game was good, plus 1 great performance mixed in with a few poor ones doesn't mean hes turned the corner yet.
Thought his tactical kicking wasn't great, lots of ball kicked away to straight down the ospreys throat and chose the wrong options a few times. He won us the game so can't take that away from him, but still think people are hyping him too much. Yeh he kicked the points, well done, but hes a kicker and thats his job and the 100% last night will probably bring his average in the rabo to somewhere near a respectable level because this season it hasn't been good enough.
I'm not saying he wont come good with time, but that doesn't change my view that we should give olding a few games at 10 to see how he does, the most important thing would be to decide sharpish whether its a good move and not do a paddy wallace and mess him about positionally.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Would just like to mention Tuohy and Henry, though both put in a lot of graft and are showing something like their best form, which I feel is really important for us.
King Ding wrote:

You may wish to find a helmet :duck:

Personally I thought his tactical appreciation of the game and tactical kicking was spot on. He ran the 2nd half, just like he did against Connacht. His all around play was of the highest calibre against Treviso. I could go on and on - I don't think you'll find too much buyers for your belief he's had a few poor ones recently.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Welcome, spiff. Very decent 1st post.

Watch him he's a dangerous moose chaser ... and he doesn't know what a glype is ... wanna be Ulsterman!!!! :lol:

Very welcome here though, good egg is Spiffy, he knows his onions ...

...feck all about rugby ... but if it's onions you want to know about Spiffy is yer man!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Olding has the outside break and turn of pace to be a very good 13.

Remember BOD played 10-12 when he was Oldings age....

Certainly worth a try.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

King Ding wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
King Ding wrote:

Thought his tactical kicking wasn't great, lots of ball kicked away to straight down the ospreys throat and chose the wrong options a few times. He won us the game so can't take that away from him, but still think people are hyping him too much. Yeh he kicked the points, well done, but hes a kicker and thats his job and the 100% last night will probably bring his average in the rabo to somewhere near a respectable level because this season it hasn't been good enough.
You're harking back to his kicking in previous matches which we all agree was substandard, but we were talking about last night.
As for his his tactical kicking I thought it ws spot on as was his reading of the game and setting the line going.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Cornerfleg wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
I'm a long time fan but a first time poster, so go aisy on me,wud yez.

Olding's lack of bulk doers not matter. He punches way above his weight and tackles like a demon. Marshall is a great, hard-running centre who will do well. But Olding is ahead in speed, step, game reading and overall footballing ability. The lad is a bit special. The sooner he beds down into an Ulster/Ireland 12 shirt, the better.

Wud ya look at what the cat dragged in .... there goes the neighbourhood!

Until these new scrum laws bed in - there is precious little quick clean ball off the scrum ... which means the 12's job as a play maker is reduced in the game at the minute. Who ever is saying Luke is just a bosh merchant has very little appreciation of what he's trying to do. Both Olding and Marshall are superb young talents we're lucky to have both and should enjoy both, when they play.
Here Fleg bai - do we know each other in another existence?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Yes ... we had a pint in Mulvaney's a while back ... with Libby and Yoko!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

sorry Baggy it was mike who complained about Oldings the lack of Bulk

The difference between Olding and Marshall --Marshall sees a gap and goes for it, Olding tries to make the gap.from a spectator point of view the second is more eye catching but both can be effective. the player who tries to make the gap has to patient waiting for the back row to tire and lose concentration.

Not that convinced Wilson would add more than Diack at 6 a couple of years ago I might have agreed with you but Diack has improved as a ball carrier and I, to honest, have seldom seen him fall off a tackle. But for me his ability and availability in the line out against the Os the would put his name on the sheet before Wilson.

there are those who consider Fitzmonkey ruined the game. He didn't to be honest . His decisions could be questioned at times but the Os adopted the Canada forward game rather than contest the ball at the breakdown they went out to disrupt the recycle by either coming through the middle or in at the sides. when the home side adopt these tactics it comes extremely hard to referee for someone like fitz because he tends to be " a penalty to you - a penalty to them ref ' --to avoid accusations of bias.

Similarly they targeted the inside centre or first receiver making off loading difficult and the recycle hard.

In possession they relied on Biggar to kick them in into position rather than attack from deep ball in hand .
Their tactics meant the game up front was scrappy with many handling errors and it frequently resorted to rugby ping.
pong.

Before the game we were warned ulster would try to win ugly and they did.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

King Ding wrote:

:duh: :duh: :duh:
assclown.jpg
assclown.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 983 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Anyone who even considers criticising Jackson after last night deserves to be burned. Twice.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:Anyone who even considers criticising Jackson after last night deserves to be burned. Twice.
And then burn the ashes twice more!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There is some similarity of skills sets between 10 and 12 and also between 12 and 13 but very few 10s are effective at 13 .

At 10 you have an eye for the gap and space in the park your awareness of players round you are usually of a prefixed nature , a wing who is going to come inside , the centre expecting a flat pass etc . At 13 the players round you are less predictable and you are expected to forage at the breakdown . A 10 on the other hand is expected to try and avoid ruck, if possible .

Players can play out of position on a needs must basis but generally they master the way to one and stick at it.
Olding looks good but he has yet to prove he is a multi talented Gibson.

Many belittle D'Arcy at 12 but with BoD they created one of the strongest mid field defensive partnerships in their day it is less effective Internationally now because both have lost pace but a PRO12 level still hard to beat.

Most on this board would favour attacking centres but provided they can handle and pass a ball and have good wingers outside them give me the mid field that can defend.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Welcome Spiffson..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 895 times