Ulster V Leicester live.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster V Leicester live.

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Just watched the match again courtesy of Rooster. 4 points to make:

1. The commentators were fine. There was no pro Leicester bias.
2. We made too many handling errors, but we were trying to play a high tempo game
3. There was a clear forward pass for the DC non-try, but I could see no offside for the PJ non-try
4. We are well capable of getting a result at Welford Road.
Watched parts of it back again and especially the two disallowed tries

I agree there was a forward pass for Darren's try, but (reluctantly) agree with the TV pundits that PJ had probably never get back onside at the breakdown with some lazy running prior to making the interception, but it was close.

For all that people say that Poite is a poor ref, it possibly indicates that he is a very good ref (unfortunately) ...... a poor ref would not have spotted either offence and we could have been 2 tries to the good with a funky monkey or similar (I know, a poorer ref might have mucked up elsewhere ........)
Grumps, I don't doubt the veracity of what you posted but I tell you this, I used to despise the S14 as it was then for allowing exactly that type of forward pass.

Now of course had it been against us, doubtless my high horse would come into play but I have to say, the S14 guys have it right. It was a sumptuous piece of play from several players, magnificent handling and offloading as good as you will see and in the grand scheme of things, had Poite made a "George Domercq" style of decision, i.e. that passage of play was magnificent & deserved a try, few would have complained.

Tigers of course would have been outraged, but if "tries" like that stood, maybe they would try to play some rugby instead of trying to be big tough bufton tuftons.

Ach, maybe I'm talking through my Crozier. What nobody could deny is that it was the best bit of rugby in the match & if that doesn't "deserve" a try well maybe the game isn't as worth watching as it should be.
I have mixed feelings about it. At the time I was totally peeed off that they try was not awarded. On the other hand, a forward pass is a forward pass, so fair play Poite. I was more disappointed with the decision after Jackson's mammoth sprint. Nice little sporting touch when he and Flood had a bit of a good-natured hug about all their wasted effort.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Russ wrote:Extremely annoyed that PJ was deemed offside before beginning the slowest 100m dash in history. Must have been a 30 second sprint for the line

Why could Poite not have checked the offside there?
11-12 seconds actually. Just watched the video again. Catches it at 41.13, crosses the line at 41.24, grounds it 41.25.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Baggy what is shocking.... I referred to the fact that I like others at the match didn't have the benefit of sitting in front of the TV so didn't hear what the ref actually asked. As such I was unsure what the ref was querying indeed I thought the ref had a good view and was up with play.

For what it is worth I seen it immediately as a forward pass unlike the 6-8 avid supporters standing in front of me who had little interest in the game, whistled Leicester kicks, repeatedly called the ref a Frog and left 15 mins early as they had lost interest.

As for the supposed belief that I expect the supporters to have advised Paddy to have pulled up I simply pointed out that the ref blew immediately which he did. Most of the players in the immediate area of the ref stopped more or less immediately and I was answering other posters who asked why the ref didn't go to the TMO for to check on Paddy's position. Surely he couldn't having already blown for the offence which was my answer to them.

Surely the shocking post is asking why the ref having blown for an offence didn't then go to the TMO to re-check on his own decision?
Cockers, it's Saturday night, I've imbibed a few lotions, well............... quite a few and my tolerance levels aren't what they might be, so here is the full SP.

I got this far......
Baggy what is shocking.... I referred to the fact that I like others at the match didn't have the benefit of sitting in front of the TV so didn't hear what the ref actually asked. As such I was unsure what the ref was querying indeed I thought the ref had a good view and was up with play.

For what it is worth I seen it
Now I know this is a bit old-school & perhaps unnecessarily poncy but I fackin' hate that barstewardisation of HM's language.

Afraid I had to stop right there so any point you may have made which is valid thereafter has vanished into the ether as far as I am concerned.

Pip pip old fruit, you'll have to forgive my intolerance.................... or not, up to you really.
mehm.jpg
mehm.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 793 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Baggy.... best call it quits all round it must be getting late as we aren't even referring to the same post.There are indeed some shocking posts like in my opinion wanting to know why the ref didn't go to the TMO to re-check his own decision that he himself had blown for.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
LeinsterLad
Novice

Post by LeinsterLad »

Ulster,as a Leinster fan having watched all our games this season and despite a decent win ovfer te O;s tonight in the groups, I know my rugby, I know my teams, Leinster and Munster don;t look up to mutch this season, this is your turn (and ritval time) to claim your places as top Irish prvince and do it in Europe. Go all the way lads, you're good enough. Well done on a good win.
LeinsterLad
Novice

Post by LeinsterLad »

Sorry I;m a wee bit sauced, but this is Ulsters year. We;re still in it for now, but we don;t have the squad ant more. If Leinster don;t find a mirical, I'm behind Ulster (historically the best Irish prinvence btw( to steop towards being a giant in Europe. You must win this thing though, but you;re in my early favourites, but asm my bro, I pick the 2 - 3 temas who are gonna win it each season early,and I'm always right.

Ulster are the only Irish side with a lookin this season, and should be last 4 / final imo. TRUST ME - I KNOW RUGBY LIKE BACK OF MY HAND AND ALWAYS CALL IT - SHAME I DON'T GAMBLE
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:Baggy.... best call it quits all round it must be getting late as we aren't even referring to the same post.There are indeed some shocking posts like in my opinion wanting to know why the ref didn't go to the TMO to re-check his own decision that he himself had blown for.
Ref can check what he wants, when he wants.

Jog on cockroach
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

LeinsterLad wrote:Sorry I;m a wee bit sauced, but this is Ulsters year. We;re still in it for now, but we don;t have the squad ant more. If Leinster don;t find a mirical, I'm behind Ulster (historically the best Irish prinvence btw( to steop towards being a giant in Europe. You must win this thing though, but you;re in my early favourites, but asm my bro, I pick the 2 - 3 temas who are gonna win it each season early,and I'm always right.

Ulster are the only Irish side with a lookin this season, and should be last 4 / final imo. TRUST ME - I KNOW RUGBY LIKE BACK OF MY HAND AND ALWAYS CALL IT - SHAME I DON'T GAMBLE
You can't possibly be a Leinster fan saying that.
Either that or you were so drunk you have got to the 'you are my best friend in the whole wide world',phase.
Followed by the aggressive 'I could take the lot of you', phase judging by the finishing tone.
Now you are going through the 'what the feck was I drinking',phase but we appreciate the sentiment of your post without taking it too seriously. :stout: >burp >happyparty >drinks >threaten :oops:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

In the case of the Cave try it is apparent that the ref had reservations about the forward pass but he allowed the play to continue then asked the TMO to check the pass. In the case of Jackson the ref immediately blew for the offence as he seen it but if having disallowed the try based on that he then went to the TMO to check Jackson's position to find no offence one can only imagine the on field farce that would follow.

Maybe a ref can indeed go the TMO for whatever he wants I don't know the ruling word for word but in this case the ref called it as he seen it, blew the whistle and didn't allow play to continue to then have gone to the TMO would have been stupid. Had the ref not blown I would not have had an issue had he then asked for the TMO to check.
Last edited by Cockatrice on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Indeed he called it immediately, if he had then gone to the TMO he'd be no better than Clanger Clancy.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:..... the ref called it as he seen it, blew the whistle and didn't allow play to continue to then have gone to the TMO would have been stupid wrong and against the laws. Had the ref not blownwhich is clearly what he should have done I would not have had an issue had he then asked for the TMO to check.
Blowing was his mistake. I doubt very much if the TMO could have ruled it offside.
Of course had some players not stopped on the whistle, some one faster than Flood may have caught Paddy.
mike
Novice

Post by mike »

HammerTime wrote:Is the match up online somewhere? Want to watch, quite hazy much of it.

brief summary.

we won. First half our scrum got slaughtered but our lineout survived. We just about edged the breakdown. Second half, our scrum got edged but it improved and there were a few knock-ons/infringements so we managed to get some ball.

We achieved dominace at the breakdown and showed real 'dog' in broken play.

Apart from 1 eejit kick, Pj was pretty inspirational and just about edged a fantastic contest with an outstanding leak that almost became a Flood-the boy is on a roll and is now ahead of Madigan if the AI's were picked tomorrow. Paddy has the talent and the balls to achieve something special if he could be ersed.

angry andy had a mare but can only improve. Olding made a lovely little cameo performance. By his high standards, Ruan looked a little rusty but it was just a pleasure to know that integrity still exists in rugby.

Their backline lacked penetration but with Tuilangi and Tait to return for wf, I expect a lot more fizz from them, Afoa should tighten us up but we fecked up giving them a bonus point.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:..... the ref called it as he seen it, blew the whistle and didn't allow play to continue to then have gone to the TMO would have been stupid wrong and against the laws. Had the ref not blownwhich is clearly what he should have done I would not have had an issue had he then asked for the TMO to check.
Blowing was his mistake. I doubt very much if the TMO could have ruled it offside.
Of course had some players not stopped on the whistle, some one faster than Flood may have caught Paddy.
Yes Snipe, he blew it & that is the end of the story really but it was certainly not a case a few metres from the Ulster line where he might even have considered "Oh hold on, this could be a try, I can always ask a question of the TMO."

That scenario of course ignores the fact that the Ginger Prince is not only the most gifted of 10s, having all facets of play in his armoury, but has the foot-speed of a whippet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All hail the Ginger Prince. Its great to see that some of the "Oh he missed a kick, he must be crap" numpties are beginning to get the first signs of electronic activity in their couple of brain cells that are suggesting, oooooooh I must look at hom maybe he's nat a chube after all.

All I will say is that if your opinion of a player hinges solely on whether the player is good or not, based on his placekicking - try football ya chubes. >threaten >threaten >threaten

He's ginger,he's class,
he outstripped Floody's ass,
Ginger Prince, Ginger Prince.
He's great, he's cool
makes other 10s look fools
Ginger Prince, Ginger Prince.
He passes, he kicks
makes others look like pricks
Ginger Prince, Ginger Prince

to be continued ................... or not
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mike wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Is the match up online somewhere? Want to watch, quite hazy much of it.

brief summary.

we won. First half our scrum got slaughtered but our lineout survived. We just about edged the breakdown. Second half, our scrum got edged but it improved and there were a few knock-ons/infringements so we managed to get some ball.

We achieved dominace at the breakdown and showed real 'dog' in broken play.

Apart from 1 eejit kick, Pj was pretty inspirational and just about edged a fantastic contest with an outstanding leak that almost became a Flood-the boy is on a roll and is now ahead of Madigan if the AI's were picked tomorrow. Paddy has the talent and the balls to achieve something special if he could be ersed.

angry andy had a mare but can only improve. Olding made a lovely little cameo performance. By his high standards, Ruan looked a little rusty but it was just a pleasure to know that integrity still exists in rugby.

Their backline lacked penetration but with Tuilangi and Tait to return for wf, I expect a lot more fizz from them, Afoa should tighten us up but we fecked up giving them a bonus point.
#

Ach wee mike, great to see you back, you even managed a couple of sentences starting with capital letters >yahoo , well done boy, keep at it. :lol:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Just watched the match again courtesy of Rooster. 4 points to make:

1. The commentators were fine. There was no pro Leicester bias.
2. We made too many handling errors, but we were trying to play a high tempo game
3. There was a clear forward pass for the DC non-try, but I could see no offside for the PJ non-try
4. We are well capable of getting a result at Welford Road.
Watched parts of it back again and especially the two disallowed tries

I agree there was a forward pass for Darren's try, but (reluctantly) agree with the TV pundits that PJ had probably never get back onside at the breakdown with some lazy running prior to making the interception, but it was close.

For all that people say that Poite is a poor ref, it possibly indicates that he is a very good ref (unfortunately) ...... a poor ref would not have spotted either offence and we could have been 2 tries to the good with a funky monkey or similar (I know, a poorer ref might have mucked up elsewhere ........)
Grumps, I don't doubt the veracity of what you posted but I tell you this, I used to despise the S14 as it was then for allowing exactly that type of forward pass.

Now of course had it been against us, doubtless my high horse would come into play but I have to say, the S14 guys have it right. It was a sumptuous piece of play from several players, magnificent handling and offloading as good as you will see and in the grand scheme of things, had Poite made a "George Domercq" style of decision, i.e. that passage of play was magnificent & deserved a try, few would have complained.

Tigers of course would have been outraged, but if "tries" like that stood, maybe they would try to play some rugby instead of trying to be big tough bufton tuftons.

Ach, maybe I'm talking through my Crozier. What nobody could deny is that it was the best bit of rugby in the match & if that doesn't "deserve" a try well maybe the game isn't as worth watching as it should be.
Baggy, I agree entirely - the play was magnificent and "deserved" a try, but the bottom line is that it DID include a forward pass, and Poite WAS right to disallow it. A lessor ref might have missed it, but he thought he spotted it, he correctly checked and got the right decision under the laws of the game .... unfortunately!!!

Now had he thought "there might have been a forward pass, but you know what, it was great play so I'll ignore it", well then you're on the slippery slope. How forward does a pass have to be to be called back? What other laws will I not enforce? (Yes I know that some laws seem to be enforced more than others and by different referees - doesn't make it right)

If Tiggers had scored a try with a marginal forward pass, WE would be feeling aggrieved. Unfortunately Poite got it spot on, much as I agree with the sentiment of your post about encouraging running rugby and slick skills.
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right