Positives&Negs: Ulster V Cardiff

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Scranner
Warrior

Re: Positives&Negs: Ulster V Cardiff

Post by Scranner »

Cockatrice wrote:No where did I compare Diack to any other back row player present or past and Ulster Rat even with my limited understanding of the back row I understand the need for balance and that ball carrying isn't the be all and end all but still don't get him. It will remain my belief that overseas players brought in need to be more than back up or at best average players as I would prefer to see local players given the exposure they need to prove themselves...
Some players are better than others. We have better 6s than Diack - Fez (injured and possibly out for good) and Henderson (probably going to end up as a lock). But Diack is so much better than you claim. Ithryn covered Robbie's attributes in his post. Mark keeps picking him and the Doc signed him for another three years. And he's not another foreign player. He's IQ and he's Ulster. To call Diack just a squad player is like saying that Eric Clapton is just a guitarist.

OK. Maybe that last bit was slightly OTT.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterRat wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Good win but too many missed penalties and couldn't understand the switch back of kickers. We give away two very soft tries and allowed Cardiff to keep coming back when they should have been finished off. Wilson made a few handling errors but can excuse that tonight Diack I just don't get.
What don't you get about Diack? Unselfish player, team man. Let me guess, you think rugby is only about and all about running with the ball. There is a bit more to it...
Welcome to the forum Robbie
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

UlsterRat wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Good win but too many missed penalties and couldn't understand the switch back of kickers. We give away two very soft tries and allowed Cardiff to keep coming back when they should have been finished off. Wilson made a few handling errors but can excuse that tonight Diack I just don't get.
What don't you get about Diack? Unselfish player, team man. Let me guess, you think rugby is only about and all about running with the ball. There is a bit more to it...
Such as Rat? Edumacate us, g'wan please,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Negative: one of my favourite players, young Olding being talked up as a 15.

The fact that very few realise that his best work generally came from breakdowns where he naturally positioned himself at 12 and on those occasions he made hay. He is a 12 every hour of every day.

If you don't believe me watch the game again. It's obvious.

His 15 duties were about ok and no more. Conceded their 2nd try and almost gave them another by Cipriani'ing his bacon saved by Ginger Prince.

I wish some could interpret a game accurately, too many just gush bullshit when the result looks good. Last night was at best a moderate performance. It's one thing people being stupid and running down good opposition as some did about Montpelier. Cardiff on the other hand are impossible to denigrate too much, they are abysmal and the clown who coaches Toulon was right to castigate his players for losing to that utter rabble.

For too long we kept them in the game last night. Shocking. A scoreline of 50-10 would have represented a decent performance, last night was like a bad weather forecast, mainly dull with showers of crap and some sunny periods.

Capiche?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Negative: one of my favourite players, young Olding being talked up as a 15.

The fact that very few realise that his best work generally came from breakdowns where he naturally positioned himself at 12 and on those occasions he made hay. He is a 12 every hour of every day.

If you don't believe me watch the game again. It's obvious.

His 15 duties were about ok and no more. Conceded their 2nd try and almost gave them another by Cipriani'ing his bacon saved by Ginger Prince.

I wish some could interpret a game accurately, too many just gush bullshit when the result looks good. Last night was at best a moderate performance. It's one thing people being stupid and running down good opposition as some did about Montpelier. Cardiff on the other hand are impossible to denigrate too much, they are abysmal and the clown who coaches Toulon was right to castigate his players for losing to that utter rabble.

For too long we kept them in the game last night. Shocking. A scoreline of 50-10 would have represented a decent performance, last night was like a bad weather forecast, mainly dull with showers of crap and some sunny periods.

Capiche?
Spot on. We let a very poor team off the hook and the place kicking was sub par. I understand Ulster can beat a useless shower like the Blues at a canter, but I'd like to see a bit more of the killer instinct and hard-edged ruthless intent. Enjoyed the win, of course, but was just a tad disappointed we did not spark more.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Scranner wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:No where did I compare Diack to any other back row player present or past and Ulster Rat even with my limited understanding of the back row I understand the need for balance and that ball carrying isn't the be all and end all but still don't get him. It will remain my belief that overseas players brought in need to be more than back up or at best average players as I would prefer to see local players given the exposure they need to prove themselves...
Some players are better than others. We have better 6s than Diack - Fez (injured and possibly out for good) and Henderson (probably going to end up as a lock). But Diack is so much better than you claim. Ithryn covered Robbie's attributes in his post. Mark keeps picking him and the Doc signed him for another three years. And he's not another foreign player. He's IQ and he's Ulster. To call Diack just a squad player is like saying that Eric Clapton is just a guitarist.

OK. Maybe that last bit was slightly OTT.
Calling Diack a Clapton is like calling the Ravenhill House Band the Vienna Philharmonic.... he may be IQ but he still has been an overseas player that came here and is as most posters appear to suggest at best 2nd or 3rd choice cover in a number of positions in the back 5.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Kofi Annan wrote:positives: a win

Negatives : the crap band and it's feeble attempt to get a canned atmosphere . Maybe more spectators than supporters creeping in.
Heard some spectators saying that AFOA had managed to get a cap for the LIONS out in Australia when he was called up out there in the summer... I said to them I think they meant COURT and they answered who's COURT.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Surprised you posted that here and not on the Leicester Forum
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Allow me to clarify my considered opinion on Robbie, I have been critical & have said that I don't see him as a first choice player in big games & doubted that he is good enough for big games.

After last week in France, I'm reconsidering whether or not to change my mind on the big game aspect. What I don't in any way doubt is that Robbie is a very very good player to have in our squad and to call him just a squad player would undersell him. He is a very valuable squad member because he has some outstanding skills, great hands, good pace, excellent positional sense, excellent line-out operator, he is very versatile & I expect we may see him prove that in the 2nd row before long and of course he can play along the back-row.

I trust this may pacify Robbie's fan club. >EW
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Surprised you posted that here and not on the Leicester Forum
Not sure if that will please Cockers but I find it verging on hilarious. That's a 5 gulders from me Russ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Maybe because it is part of a discussion on the UAFC site and unlike my other post on the Tiger site which was in response to a tigers fans commenting on how poor the Ulster fans behaved when they whistled during the penalties..... Ashton

btw... let me know where the URSC bar is in London as I am over at the same time as our next game so will be looking to bring a few business colleagues along to watch the match somewhere?
Last edited by Cockatrice on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:positives: a win

Negatives : the crap band and it's feeble attempt to get a canned atmosphere . Maybe more spectators than supporters creeping in.
Heard some spectators saying that AFOA had managed to get a cap for the LIONS out in Australia when he was called up out there in the summer... I said to them I think they meant COURT and they answered who's COURT.
Could he have gone on vacation to support some Ulstermen & bought this Cockers:
Lions.jpg
Lions.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 372 times
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:
Maybe because it is part of a discussion on the UAFC site and unlike my other post on the Tiger site which was in response to a tigers fans commenting on how poor the Ulster fans behaved when they whistled during the penalties..... twit

btw... let me know where the URSC bar is in London as I am over at the same time as our next game so will be looking to bring a few business colleagues along to watch the match somewhere?
Cockers, that is again a post of dubious quality. In all conscience, how do you call someone a twit in one sentence & in the next, not simply ask, but actually demand information.

I'd say Russ would be a generous man to reply in the circumstances. :roll:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Now Baggy, little bit is harmless as we all know, he just likes to turn on his fellow man and likes the taste of an English man.

If bit was competent he wouldn't need me to reply, a simple look on the URSC website would tell him, but is the site up to date enough? Who knows! Who cares?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:Heard some spectators saying that AFOA had managed to get a cap for the LIONS out in Australia when he was called up out there in the summer... I said to them I think they meant COURT and they answered who's COURT.
I thought I saw you talking to Crozier ......

..... and when I spoke to you both, he answered, but you blanked me!!!! :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right