John Afoa

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: John Afoa

Post by Cornerfleg »

Pull pin count to 10 .... Darren I applaud havcing the stones to say what we all know is going on - but must never speak of.

But your international career is over - I really fear he'll be off to france or elsewhere as soon as his contract is up.

As much as I despise Davy Tweed and what he stood for - his quote about playing so well for his country they asked him to play for Ireland fits with the likes of Cave. When it becomes clear you can do no more - best to look elsewhere.

Why anyone feels playing turgid meaningless International ballix is teh height of your career is beyond me these days - but there ya go.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I know Fleg but I suspect Darren would donate his left plum for a decent opportunity.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Did Mrs Afoa have a bad experience over here? Just skimming through the thread and a few comments suggest it was more than homesick possibly.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Anybody know what the shopping is like in Glaws?
Gloucester is a concrete sh*t hole.

However, Cheltenham is just down the road and quite nice. The missus tells me that the shopping in Bristol is good.

Anyhoo, I'm surprised by the timing of this announcement. We're all on a bit of a downer about the injury list and then this news just before a crucial double-header.

Maybe just maybe some news on a replacement tomorrow?? I have not suspended my respiration.
That would be the normal course of events and we could hardly announce the sighing of another leading tighthead without announcing the departure of our current All Black could we?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

4 year deal.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

kingofthehill wrote:4 year deal.
Fair fecks to the man, no-one turns down 4 years as a 30 year old prap
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I wonder does he have his airmiles clauses built into that contract as well. Can't and wouldn't want to compete for a four year deal with any player, just too long IMO. No incentive to perform.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

I can't see Mrs Afoa settling in the West Country if she hated Northern Ireland it's going to be much of the same over there.

Plus Afoa would have to get on a train to London then fly back to NZ to deal with his 'homesickness'.

Strange move really but oh well, all the best.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Windeos wrote:I can't see Mrs Afoa settling in the West Country if she hated Northern Ireland it's going to be much of the same over there.

Plus Afoa would have to get on a train to London then fly back to NZ to deal with his 'homesickness'.

Strange move really but oh well, all the best.
Birmingham to be honest
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

damianmcr wrote:Did Mrs Afoa have a bad experience over here? Just skimming through the thread and a few comments suggest it was more than homesick possibly.
She seemed to be happy at first, but then she joined North Down Cycling Club and one day when she was riding along the Portaferry Road in her pretty pink lycra, some grumpy auld ........

.... nah, i'll leave it there ...... it was never proven!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Oh FFS catch yourself on. There is a tiny proportion of the Ulster fan base read the shyte written here never mind the rugby players of other nations. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That is something so stupid that even Againstallreason wouldn't post it.
Really? I thought a few of the younger rugby players were into tweeting and that social network thingy - it's supposed to be worldwide? I'm told those with slightly wider minds than Hornby narrow guage may have realised this, but then if someone keeps banging their head on a brickwall, perhaps it will eventually sink in...

... I agree with one point though - it is little wonder that only a tiny proportion of the Ulster fan base bother to read anything written here - there are far more interesting places to get insulted.
The future isn't what it used to be
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Daily Telegraph have him down as becoming one of the highest earners in the AP. Fair dues to him a big money 4 year deal is some offer and I doubt IRFU or UR would have considered anything close to those sorts of terms.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I'll hold off comment until we hear if his Mrs moves there to be with him ... cos as far as I know the best way to keep in touch with your family half way round the world is not to get 'special' treatment from your current boss, above and beyond - then say thanks - and take a 4 year deal down the road which is about 20 minutes nearer your folks still on the other side of the planet.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Good to see Gloucester sticking 2 fingers up at the rest of the PRL over the salary cap.

If all of the rest of them break it, they may as well also
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Russ wrote:Good to see Gloucester sticking 2 fingers up at the rest of the PRL over the salary cap.

If all of the rest of them break it, they may as well also
If John is their Marquee player, his salary won't count in the cap.