A review of Props at Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

connachtexile
Novice

Re: A review of Props at Ulster

Post by connachtexile »

Has anyone seen how Paddy Mac has played since the new scrum laws have come in? Could make a huge difference. It's being the making of Ah You at Connacht.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

connachtexile wrote:Has anyone seen how Paddy Mac has played since the new scrum laws have come in? Could make a huge difference. It's being the making of Ah You at Connacht.
Hi CE.
You may well be right, but unfortunately he's been injured since forever or something, so we haven't been able to see much of him with the old laws let alone the new ones.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Gael wrote:
connachtexile wrote:Has anyone seen how Paddy Mac has played since the new scrum laws have come in? Could make a huge difference. It's being the making of Ah You at Connacht.
Hi CE.
You may well be right, but unfortunately he's been injured since forever or something, so we haven't been able to see much of him with the old laws let alone the new ones.
Still in what he did play so far he has been poor, but I am sure a good scrum coach would help.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Jack McGrath would be a good signing obviously BUT put the shoe on the other boot for a moment. Leinster need a centre next season and we have plenty. Us signing McGrath for the good of Ulster AND Ireland would be akin to Leinster signing Stuart Olding (ie a young international who isn't guarenteed first team rugby) and sorry but I'm not up for that!
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Harold7 wrote:Jack McGrath would be a good signing obviously BUT put the shoe on the other boot for a moment. Leinster need a centre next season and we have plenty. Us signing McGrath for the good of Ulster AND Ireland would be akin to Leinster signing Stuart Olding (ie a young international who isn't guarenteed first team rugby) and sorry but I'm not up for that!
I don't think that McGrath is ever realistically going to happen, I'm quite sure the IRFU will be more than happy with McGrath learning his trade off the best LH in the country and sharing game time with him - Jack O'Connell might be different though.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

What happened to James Harrison? He played Tighthead for Methody the season before last and won the Schools player of the year. Seemed pretty talented, there has to be a problem when the player considered to be the best schools player of that year is not involved with Ulster a year or so later.
Any ideas where he is now?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bayern wrote:What happened to James Harrison? He played Tighthead for Methody the season before last and won the Schools player of the year. Seemed pretty talented, there has to be a problem when the player considered to be the best schools player of that year is not involved with Ulster a year or so later.
Whilst I happily confess to being an ignoramus about schools rugby, is it not a fact that many young lads finish their final year at school and say tarrah to rugby for good? I understood that MCB had a huge number of guys who did that because certain guys took every last ounce of enjoyment out of schools rugby there?

Ah, maybe that is historic bullshit ............. or just.......... bullshit.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bayern wrote:What happened to James Harrison? He played Tighthead for Methody the season before last and won the Schools player of the year. Seemed pretty talented, there has to be a problem when the player considered to be the best schools player of that year is not involved with Ulster a year or so later.
May have gone to Leinster.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:
So fair trade is McGrath or Healy.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

BR wrote:
UCD maybe?

http://www.ucdrugby.com/news-events/lei ... .1737.html
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

yes harrison at UCD, both Harrison brothers i think. 1 of them has featured a few times for ucd 1sts this year!
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Right you are both Harrison brothers are at UCD, Rory is the starting TH for the 1st's and James was the starting TH for the 20s last year and now the J1 team.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Michael Lagan I think is a TH, leaving Methody this year and id expect him to get a place in the academy, even if he is a LH
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Whilst I happily confess to being an ignoramus about schools rugby, is it not a fact that many young lads finish their final year at school and say tarrah to rugby for good? I understood that MCB had a huge number of guys who did that because certain guys took every last ounce of enjoyment out of schools rugby there?

Ah, maybe that is historic bullshit ............. or just.......... bullshit.
Or correct.

Being the best schools player means little when it comes to senior rugby.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We do need two new props for next season. We are short of numbers at LH and short of Quality at TH.
I find it hard to believe that Humph hasn't allowed for this in his planning.
We have 3 spots to fill. One NIQ may be locked in already leaving one more and a project. Doesn't leave us with many options to fill gaps in the backs.